KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Batman, a TellTale games series

Batman, a TellTale games series
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I'm getting really sick of telltale games. They need to at least start diversifying the game play or start giving the player influence over the story.

Like as in, not having as many events that you cannot change with the choices/reactions you make? As far as the latter.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2015 09:58 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I'm getting really sick of telltale games. They need to at least start diversifying the game play or start giving the player influence over the story.
Its their thing.

I personally hope this will always be their type of game.

If they come out with someone like, say, an FPS, that will turn me off to them completely.

They're the storytellers, and thats all the need to be, its what they're best at.

You and Ares are particularly hard to satisfy as gamers.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 4th, 2015 10:26 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Maybe you're too easy to please.

I don't think they should change their formula as much as they should make the player's choices have more weight in the story.

I mean come on, why tf can't I save fuqing luke? Or anyone else for that matter.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Dec 4th, 2015 11:18 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Is that any different than any other story driven game?

The idea behind player choice's is a fallacy. No matter what game tries to say that choices make a difference, it really doesn't. Even Until Dawn, which probably had the most involved system of player driven choice didn't really affect the story any sort of meaningful way.

As long as the developer makes the effect to "pretty up" or hide the fact that player driven choices mean nothing then it makes the game a lot of fun. Telltale Games does a beautiful job of doing so. Even though I know the choices won't make a different, I agonize the any decision I want to make.

Telltale Games have a specific vibe about their games and I don't think people really care if it changes or not because that's why they play them.

Last edited by Smasandian on Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2015 11:56 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The thing I think they need to work on is the animation. There's a lot of times when the faces don't match up with what they're saying or emoting. And a lot of weird, awkward-looking movements.

Also I just finished off TftB and that final episode was ****ing incredible.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 01:06 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Then you have games like Fallout New Vegas. In fact, any game with multiple endings inherently gives you more power over the story than Telltale in TWD, TWD S2, TWAU and TFTB. (Those are the telltale games I've played, and loved TWDS1 and The wolf among us)

Again, that wouldn't be a problem if Telltale wouldn't beat us over the head in every trailer with the mantra 'your choices will shape your adventure' as a major selling point.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 01:08 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Or even go back to their older style games they made, Sam & Max seasons, Tales of Monkey Island to name some, Back to The Future the game.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 02:02 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Smasandian

The idea behind player choice's is a fallacy. No matter what game tries to say that choices make a difference, it really doesn't. Even Until Dawn, which probably had the most involved system of player driven choice didn't really affect the story any sort of meaningful way.

As long as the developer makes the effect to "pretty up" or hide the fact that player driven choices mean nothing then it makes the game a lot of fun. Telltale Games does a beautiful job of doing so. Even though I know the choices won't make a different, I agonize the any decision I want to make.

Telltale Games have a specific vibe about their games and I don't think people really care if it changes or not because that's why they play them.
Undertale is a story-driven game where your choices matter more than in any Telltale game, as well as more than in Until Dawn. Your choices affected the story radically.

Why can a cheap Indie game do this, but big budget Adventure Games like Telltale Game series not?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 03:49 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Yeah, see, Walking Dead Season 1 did a good job of making you at least think your choices matter.

Season 2, however, did a terrible job of that.

Howdy!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 03:51 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

As long as Kevin Conroy voices Batman I'm happy.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 09:55 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by NemeBro
Undertale is a story-driven game where your choices matter more than in any Telltale game, as well as more than in Until Dawn. Your choices affected the story radically.

Why can a cheap Indie game do this, but big budget Adventure Games like Telltale Game series not?

I haven't played Undertale so I can't really comment but it's probably do with voice acting and type of narrative experience Telltale wants to tell.

But personally, no matter what game it is, I will believe it when I actually see a game do it.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 03:20 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NemeBro

Undertale does this by monitoring gameplay choices such as [SPOILER - highlight to read]: if you killed people or certain characters. Telltale (and Until Dawn) can't really do this because their games are more visual novels than an actual games. They use clear binary options where the player makes deliberate choices. This system is just naturally more limited since those kinds of branching options become pretty vast. And the multiple dialogue options leads to loads of different reactions to keep track of.

Undertales choices effect the story in that you get different lines based on [SPOILER - highlight to read]: which characters are dead in the neutral ending and 3 different main endings based on gameplay choices. Telltale does something similar in that some choices do lead to different dialogue endings and different characters in scenes, but you can't really do multiple highly different endings with voice acting, multiple conversation options and the episodic structure Telltale works in that limits time.

Even then Tales from the Borderlands does pull off having a choice in episode 2 lead to you going through 2 different paths at the first 3rd of episode 3 as well as different flavor text for examining things.

Last edited by Nephthys on Dec 5th, 2015 at 04:05 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 03:54 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, you are right, in the end it's extremely hard, time consuming and expensive to create a game that completely tailors the story on choices you make. It's highly unlikely, especially for a game that involves voice acting, animation/motion recap, and level design. You are always going to follow linear path the developers have shoehorned you in because they cannot create multiple areas for you to walk through. That's why player's choice is a fallacy.

As I said before (and others!) is that as long as the devs make a effort to hide that fact then it can work brillianty well. Telltale, Bioware and the devs of Until Dawn do extremely well in this fact.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 08:34 PM
FinalAnswer
Flower

Bioware

Lol

Howdy!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 09:32 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

What's so funny?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 10:46 PM
Quincy
Debaser

I love TellTale games and I think the storytelling is brilliant. The only title I haven't liked was Game of Thrones, and my complaints were more based around the actual series it's based on. Getting into a scrap with TV Show Ramsay Bolton isn't exciting and tense, because I know ahead of time I wouldn't be able to beat him - BECAUSE he's in the show.

Something like The Walking Dead and Tales from the Borderlands don't have those limitations.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 01:33 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I hope the take inspiration from Long Halloween and other good stories with Batman showing his detective side.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 02:46 PM
Quincy
Debaser

That'd be a real good story to go to. Switch in and out with Harvey Dent maybe? I'd be into it.

Hush would lend itself pretty well I think.

But I'd go with something totally brand new to keep us all in suspense.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 04:56 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

so.. as a batman fanatic will I enjoy this?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 12:00 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Details on the Batman game

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...s-batman-series

quote:

-Batman is the perfect character for the studio to explore in a Telltale series, giving the team the opportunity to dive deeper into the mind of the man behind the mask. Each night, Bruce Wayne chooses to change Gotham for the better. The team wants to explore what the consequences are of the player’s actions when decisions made as Bruce have a critical impact on his nightly crusade as Batman, and vice versa. Certain key situations will give the player the decision to approach a scene as Bruce or Batman, with consequences for both sides.

-Fresh interpretation of the universe set in current times, not tied to any existing iteration of Batman in games, film, or comics. Story will focus on Bruce and Batman, not an examination of the extended ‘Bat-family,’ (Robin, Nightwing, etc.) Fans can expect certain series staples such as Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya. Telltale is looking to keep the villains more tightly under wraps until closer to the premiere.

-Certain characters will have a deeply personal relationship with Bruce in his private life, and decisions made as Bruce or Batman will affect their paths towards corruption or redemption.

-The player’s actions will help shape the Gotham that Bruce deals with during the day, as well as the criminals that Batman faces at night.

-Team is committing to a non-photorealistic interpretation of the universe, enhancing engine and technology to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction. Taking inspiration from the works of over 75 years of artists such as Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Neal Adams.

-Like some other Telltale series, the game will be landing at M (Mature 17+) rating, and the cinematic approach will feel more akin to an R-rated film.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2016 06:22 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote