KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » From the Creators of Death Note: Platinum End

From the Creators of Death Note: Platinum End
Started by: AuraAngel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AuraAngel
Hegemon

From the Creators of Death Note: Platinum End

(please log in to view the image)

This is a brand new manga from the duo of Ohba and Obata, whose previous works are obviously Death Note and Bakuman. It has a lot of similarities with the former, hence the title.

The man character is a little guy named Mirai and his life has been sorta terrible. When he finally decides to kill himself about 10 pages into the story a super natural being descends from on high to save him. The being offers him special powers and the plot for the story will presumably be based around how he will use them.

While at first glance it is strikingly similar to the Light-Ryuk dynamic it functions more like a companion piece. Nasse, unlike Ryuk, seems to genuinely care about Mirai's well being, to an extent anyway. Mirai differs from Light because while Light wants to become a god that rules a just world, Mirai is ambivalent to becoming like a god and just wants to find happiness in life. The core themes and man's relationship with the other world is completely different.

The biggest difference is the overall plot. Mirai is not the only one to receive the powers of God(with a capital G). 13 angels have chosen 13 humans and within 999 days a new God will be chosen from the 13. Yes, it is exactly like Future Diary(or Mirai Nikki, to make it more blatant). In addition, the second chapter introduces a character that looks very similar to Zero from Code Geass(right down to being a secret identity). I expect the manga will be dripping to other story's with similar structures and so far it has been a treat to read.

There are only two chapters, both on Mangastream, so catching up is not going to be a problem. The story is a bit NSFW due to gore in the first chapter and sex in the second but not a deal breaker. I liked it anyway.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 11:16 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Also, by human standards, Nasse's sense of morality is rather alien and detached, while Mirai has a functioning moral compass.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 11:30 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Yeah Nasse says and suggests the most horrifying stuff. Makes me laugh.

Oh and I forgot to mention that the art is very pretty. ^_^

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 11:36 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

So far the stories pretty good, I just hope half way through he doesn't lose his sense of morality and become another Kira.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 12:02 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Some of his rivals may be 'Kira,' but not him, I think.

I wonder if there's any other angelic gifts, or just the wings and two arrows.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 12:36 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Q99
Some of his rivals may be 'Kira,' but not him, I think.

I wonder if there's any other angelic gifts, or just the wings and two arrows.

End of chapter did showed one, or probably the main bad guy with his kick ass looking Angel.

I think like every story, more abilities will be disclosed as a way to move the plot.

For all we know, there might be an arrow to cancel out the red and white one.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 12:55 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The Wings seem to be the counter to the Arrows, since they can outrun them.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 12:56 PM
U need Leonard
Unfireable Employee

This has been a pretty good read so far. He seemed to have had every reason to be another Light (compared to this guy, Light should have been the happiest kid in the world), yet it seems he will use his powers responsibly...For now...

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 08:24 PM
U need Leonard is currently offline Click here to Send U need Leonard a Private Message Find more posts by U need Leonard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well Light wasn't exactly unhappy, just bored out of his skull.

Mirai turning into a jerk would be super bleak though. He's the opposite of Light. =(

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 11:26 PM