KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Ranking Star Wars

Ranking Star Wars
Started by: CPT Space Bomb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
As much as I respect the rights of other people to have opinions, to enjoy what they enjoy and love what they love...

Anyone who put ANH outside the top three can **** off.

What's so great about ANH? The only thing it has going for it, is it's the introduction to a lot of great characters. It hasn't aged very well at all.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 07:24 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

ANH started it all. Introduced us to the Jedi, The Force, The Empire and the Rebellion. It was a brilliant film that changed cinema and stands on its own without any need for sequels and prequels.

And It was just a great adventure story a farm boy (iow could be anyone) gets caught into, which the other movies lacked.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 07:28 PM
Darth Thor is online now! Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Well the new movies have that as well as [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Rey is a nobody.

But, yes, this first half of the film has amazing worldbuilding and the second half is non-stop fun.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 07:33 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ares834
Well the new movies have that as well as [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Rey is a nobody.

Meh ruined by the way she gets straight into Jedi mind tricks and lightsaber battles.

But I was liking the beginning when her and Finn escape Jakku. That was giving that adventure feeling again. But then everything else happened.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 08:05 PM
Darth Thor is online now! Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Meh ruined by the way she gets straight into Jedi mind tricks and lightsaber battles.

But I was liking the beginning when her and Finn escape Jakku. That was giving that adventure feeling again. But then everything else happened.
Exactly. No one is mad that Rey can use the force in TFA, it's the fact that she jumped straight into doing things that only experienced Jedi Masters knew about and did it without much effort.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 08:17 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

At this point I am just tired of Star Wars.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 08:21 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
What's so great about ANH? The only thing it has going for it, is it's the introduction to a lot of great characters. It hasn't aged very well at all.
Exactly. It's cool it started it all but compared to most Star Wars films it pales in comparison IMO.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 04:36 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Nephthys
I watched ANH a few days ago and its a lot more flawed than its made out to be. I prefer the new movies personally.
New movies kick the dogshit out of A New Hope.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 04:37 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by quanchi112
New movies kick the dogshit out of A New Hope.
Nope. I'd rather watch ANH 9 times in a row than any other Star Wars flick not in the OT.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 02:13 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

In case anyone is interested, I've been watching a sort of documentary of the making of Star Wars (OT and PT) recently which sheds some light on the production of the two trilogies.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/herosjourney.php

http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/hermitsjourney.php

The most recent episode explores AotC with Lucas' decision to pioneer digital camerawork, the hiring of Hayden Christianson and some other things. Apparently DiCaprio was originally approached to be Anakin! Man, that could have ruled.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 03:45 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I think Hayden gets too much sh*t but oh well.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 03:52 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Oh, he does. He is a legitimately mediocre actor but Lucas' dialogue was terrible (which Hayden himself was worried about) and he's very bad at directing his actors. Lucas was way more interested in the technology and experimenting with film making than he was managing his actors and always has been.

Honestly, not sure if Leo could have done much better.

Last edited by Nephthys on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 04:05 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 03:56 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Nope. I'd rather watch ANH 9 times in a row than any other Star Wars flick not in the OT.
Nostalgia is clouding your better judgment. Hopefully you see the light. The acting in that first film had a lot of dogshit in it. It became a cultural phenomenon but on its own merits against the others it doesn't stack up.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 04:06 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Can't say I agree. I think it has its issues, and you can obviously see that when you read about how the people on the movie had to keep Lucas in line to make sure the movie came out nicely. How the editing and the script had people telling Lucas "no, this sucks, it needs to be different", which is one of the largest if not THE largest issue with the prequels.

I think though, it really depends on one major factor: Are you looking at the movie as if it's in a vacuum, or in the context of where it sits in the cinematic landscape? Not everyone is going to agree mind you, but I think in general, that's what separates people's opinions.

Outside of that, for me? It's kept simple. Simple story that goes from A to B in a logical fashion that makes sense. I don't mind complexity, but it simply isn't needed in ANH. We get more of that in ESB anyway. Excellent, believable world-building that feels more realistic than a lot of sci-fi fantasy had before then. Good pacing. There's very few scenes in the original ANH that would improve the movie by being cut, if any. The characters are all established early on, and remain consistent and believable throughout. Luke is whiny, but it makes sense for the character.

The special effects might have their issues in certain scenes (Kenobi's saber for example), but during the space battles they're pretty solid. Miniatures and models hold up much better over the years than CGI tends to, and in the space scenes it really shows.

I mean, I could go on and on, but when it comes down to it, I'm just not going to agree that any of the prequels or sequels are on the same level or superior to it. Sure, they have aspects that are superior, but ANH is a prime example of something that is more than the sum of its parts.

Honestly, if people don't like it, cool. It's their choice. I just disagree.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 04:17 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

ANH
ROTS/ESB
ROTJ/TPM
R1/TLJ ??
AOTC

TFA

?? means they’re still new in my head so subject to change.

Note- I personally don’t like ranking Episodes 1-6. As I see it all as 1 Epic saga.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 04:23 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

What's so great about ANH?

Everything.

The Death Star destruction scene gets old fast, but other than that, the movie has a high rewatchability factor, imo.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 10:15 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Agreed, ANH is kind of so shitty its full of cringe.

However, I will be the first to admit that I have blankie syndrome and I'm like a child who won't grow up, refuses to see that ANH is kind of shit, and I still love it.

I did a 1-6 marathon before TFA came out and it was so very fun to watch ANH, again. Loved it. It was very damn enjoyable.

But, yeah...it's kind of shit.

But it's my shit, mother f*cker.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 10:54 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by -Pr-
As much as I respect the rights of other people to have opinions, to enjoy what they enjoy and love what they love...

Anyone who put ANH outside the top three can **** off.

Use your mod powers, unite with queeq and slaughter these infidels here...

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 11:11 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

It may partially be nostalgia, but the original trilogy has an incredibly high memorability factor that I don't think the other films except for maybe RotS have been able to capture. They have so many iconic scenes, famous lines, famous characters, etc. They fit the definition of classics and that has to count for something even if not all of the dialogue or production value was as good as the later films.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 11:36 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge Of The Sith
3. The Force Awakens
4. Rogue One
5. A New Hope
6. Return Of The Jedi
7. The Last Jedi
8. Attack Of The Clones
9. The Phantom Menace

The list is of the Special Edition versions of the OT, if anyone is going to be picky. Also, The Last Jedi may move around as I digest the viewing, which is only a day old.

Also, I'm a fan of all of them. TPM is just the one I like the least.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Dec 24th, 2017 at 02:29 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2017 02:21 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote