KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Do you think that Anton LaVey was evil?

Do you think that Anton LaVey was evil?
Started by: Jesus McBurger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

Do you think that Anton LaVey was evil?

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Dec 14th, 2015 03:45 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I did not know Star had his own website.

But seriously they have quotes from people quite literally telling them what "satanism" truly means and how Satan isn't an actual being. They just dismiss them with utter nonsense.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 01:43 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur

But seriously they have quotes from people quite literally telling them what "satanism" truly means and how Satan isn't an actual being. They just dismiss them with utter nonsense.

That is just an atheistic group. Much different than theistic satanism.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 01:59 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Lavey's wife telling people that Lavey actually did believe in Satan as an actual being and writing so in his biography is "utter nonsense"?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 04:54 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Lavey's wife telling people that Lavey actually did believe in Satan as an actual being and writing so in his biography is "utter nonsense"?

We call it utter marketing

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 06:16 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So just to be clear the wife wrote the autobiography and claimed he did believe in Satan. Well gee, that proves something I guess.

Even though it doesn't actually change what I said about Satanism.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 03:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

I can post multiple quotes of Lavey denouncing and mocking all religion, and his wife's words don't contradict the fact the man was an atheist.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Dec 15th, 2015 04:42 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

You miss the point. If Lavey's own wife disagrees, and validly so, then Lavey was NOT telling you what "satanism" truly means. He was, in that case, lying.

If she doesn't validly disagree, then she, being a Satanist, was lying.
Proving that Satanists lie.

Or perhaps you're calling the idea of anything whatsoever being supernatural "utter nonsense" and just worded your response poorly?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 07:35 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by carthage
I can post multiple quotes of Lavey denouncing and mocking all religion ...

I'm sure you can. You'd expect a Satanist to denounce and mock Abrahamic religions by definition, and Christianity especially.

Originally posted by carthage
his wife's words don't contradict the fact the man was an atheist.

I do not understand you when you say this.

Perhaps you are taking the stance of Richard Dawkins, i.e. that the monotheist is an atheist regarding any deity other than his own?

Otherwise "My husband Anton Lavey believed in and worshipped Satan as an actual being" (or whatever was written in Lavey's biography) does, indeed, contradict the supposition Lavey did not believe in an actual Satan.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 07:54 AM
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

I'm sure you can. You'd expect a Satanist to denounce and mock Abrahamic religions by definition, and Christianity especially.

Don't get me wrong, it is odd an atheist would identify with Satanism. He should just be an atheist without using religious figures.

I do not understand you when you say this.

Perhaps you are taking the stance of Richard Dawkins, i.e. that the monotheist is an atheist regarding any deity other than his own?

Otherwise "My husband Anton Lavey believed in and worshipped Satan as an actual being" (or whatever was written in Lavey's biography) does, indeed, contradict the supposition Lavey did not believe in an actual Satan.

Why would he lie about his beliefs? There are many Satanists that actually worship Satan/Lucifer. They practice black magic/animal sacrifice, etc. In fact, these groups despise Lavey's atheistic Satanism. Why would Lavey worship Satan privately and tell his followers the devil doesn't exist?

Last edited by Tattoos N Scars on Dec 16th, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 11:43 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Don't get me wrong, it is odd that a professed atheist would want to identify with Satanism, even if it is just in name only. He could have founded an atheistic society without religious overtones.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 11:53 AM
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Why would he lie about his beliefs? There are many Satanists that actually worship Satan/Lucifer. They practice black magic/animal sacrifice, etc. In fact, these groups despise Lavey's atheistic Satanism. Why would Lavey worship Satan privately and tell his followers the devil doesn't exist?

Well, for starters, he'd appear saner if he told people that, attract more followers, and have more influence.

Note the kind of circles Anton Lavey actually travelled in, how many celebrities and men of means he knew and had influence with.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 12:09 PM
Bardock42

I personally haven't read the LaVey biography, so I don't even know if the claim is true, or taken out of context, but even if the widow had said that, I am not sure why we would default to taking her word over his words and actions during his lifetime.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 01:23 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Don't get me wrong, it is odd that a professed atheist would want to identify with Satanism, even if it is just in name only. He could have founded an atheistic society without religious overtones.

It was the 60's, people did weird shit.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 02:55 PM
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by Bardock42
I personally haven't read the LaVey biography, so I don't even know if the claim is true, or taken out of context, but even if the widow had said that, I am not sure why we would default to taking her word over his words and actions during his lifetime.

Well, 2 things again here:

1. Anton Lavey and his wife, if the 2 had any semblance of a relationship, was privy to far more of his actions than you or I. Far more than got published. If you're looking for a good source of information, unless their marriage was pure hell, the spouse is a better place to start than just about anyone else.

2. Anton Lavey was noted as a con-man. Read the Wikipedia entry for his daughter Zeena Schreck, for corroboration. In other words, he had a reputation for being dishonest. It's not like we're talking about Abe Lincoln here ...

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 03:27 PM
Bardock42

Fair enough, I still doubt it. But I don't even care enough to read up on the biography.

At any rate, even if LaVey was someone who believed in Satan as a real figure, the Church of Satan he founded does most explicitly not.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 03:50 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

The church of satan can continue on without LaVey

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 04:33 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

The Church of Satan (LaVeyan Satanism) is a fake cult. It's viewed as a mockery by many major Satanic sects. It was established by an atheist with Messianic Complex and ADD disorder. His church is no different to the modern Christian cults we have today (ex. Westboro Baptist, Iglesia ni Cristo, Ang Dating Daan, etc.) He was looking for a means to attain fame and fortune.

His wife is doing the same. She wants LaVey to stay relevant hence she's lying to the public that her husband was a worshipper of Satan, just to stir some controversy in hoping the book becomes a bestseller.

As regards to LaVey being evil, he is no different to any other businessman. He wanted fame and fortune and he achieved it. He found success by establishing his scam religion.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Dec 16th, 2015 at 04:49 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 04:46 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 04:48 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. Anton Lavey and his wife, if the 2 had any semblance of a relationship, was privy to far more of his actions than you or I. Far more than got published. If you're looking for a good source of information, unless their marriage was pure hell, the spouse is a better place to start than just about anyone else.

So you feel the fact she is telling people the dude thought Satan was a real thing means they had a good marriage? When he went out of his way to make sure people thought otherwise? Strange.

Also if the guy truly believed in Satan then the marriage probably was HELL. Get it? You get it?

quote:
2. Anton Lavey was noted as a con-man. Read the Wikipedia entry for his daughter Zeena Schreck, for corroboration. In other words, he had a reputation for being dishonest. It's not like we're talking about Abe Lincoln here ...

If he is a con-man then how can we trust anything he said to anyone? Whether it be his wife or anyone else? Con-men tend to lie a lot, even to those closest to them.

Though you still realize if he was conning people into believing he didn't believe in Satan then that is irrelevant to the overall views of the church of Satan, right? It doesn't mean everyone involved actually believes. The quote this entire discussion started off of was not me talking specifically about the beliefs of one man, but the church.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 16th, 2015 at 09:05 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2015 08:57 PM