KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Did Satan get fired or did he quit?

Did Satan get fired or did he quit?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Did Satan get fired or did he quit?

Did he give up on the system altogether, or was he trying to enact change and get shot down? I've heard it described both ways.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2015 10:35 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Or the 3rd option: it could be he is still employed. Remember the story of Job? Satan had the permission of God to do all kinds of horrible shit to him. Up to and including murdering his children. All basically just to see if Job will denounce God. He doesn't and eventually the people are brought back to life.

It's almost like the story of a battered housewife who won't leave her abusive husband no matter what he does.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 19th, 2015 at 03:20 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2015 03:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Or the 3rd option: it could be he is still employed. Remember the story of Job? Satan had the permission of God to do all kinds of horrible shit to him. Up to and including murdering his children. All basically just to see if Job will denounce God. He doesn't and eventually the people are brought back to life.

I don't think that's how it goes

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Dec 19th, 2015 05:03 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Not sure about that battered housewife part, but the third option? Hadnt considered it. Thank you!

Old Post Dec 20th, 2015 03:43 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by juggerman
I don't think that's how it goes

That is how it goes though. I just looked it up on wiki to make sure my memory wasn't off. God essentially goes on about how pious Job is. Satan isn't evil, but he suggests to God the only reason is because he has all this stuff(wealth, a family, etc.)

He gets permission from God to do all kinds of horrible shit to Job, but Job still doesn't denounce God. In this role Satan is not an adversary, but more or less an advisor. Out to test humanity, but not necessarily harboring ill intent.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 20th, 2015 at 02:56 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2015 02:53 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Where's the battered housewife in that, though.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2015 03:06 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

That comment was mostly a joke, but Job was supposed to be the battered housewife. I.E. horrible shit keeps happening and he doesn't denounce God. You will note that is different from simply not letting bad luck get you down, since when your kids are all murdered and your wealth is gone and then suddenly the boils and shit start..it becomes pretty obvious this stuff is being done on purpose.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 20th, 2015 at 03:22 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2015 03:19 PM
Q99

It's almost like the story of a battered housewife who won't leave her abusive husband no matter what he does.

Frankly, I view the Satan in Job as a separate figure. There's a tendency to conflate everyone portrayed as 'on the other side' as the same individual. See: The Serpent for another example.

The one in Job had a role roughly similar to an attorney presenting a case. I took that to be a non-traitorous Angel with a nasty job.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2015 03:31 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Q99
The one in Job had a role roughly similar to an attorney presenting a case. I took that to be a non-traitorous Angel with a nasty job.

In Hebrew, the word Satan means prosecutor. It is not a name, it is a title.

In 13 of the 14 times a Satan is referenced in the Old Testament, he is obediently serving as a prosecutor in the court of God, presenting people to Him for judgment.

See: Psalm 109:6 and Zechariah 3:1–2.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2015 04:57 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Huh! This is all new to me, and really informative.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2015 05:27 AM
juggerman

That is how it goes though. I just looked it up on wiki to make sure my memory wasn't off. God essentially goes on about how pious Job is. Satan isn't evil, but he suggests to God the only reason is because he has all this stuff(wealth, a family, etc.)

He gets permission from God to do all kinds of horrible shit to Job, but Job still doesn't denounce God. In this role Satan is not an adversary, but more or less an advisor. Out to test humanity, but not necessarily harboring ill intent.

No one was brought back to life. He got a new family

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 03:21 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Satan literally means 'adversary' in the Old Testament. It is an untranslated Hebrew word used in English and several other languages.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 05:34 PM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

At that point i personally might have told the responsible parties to suck it.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 10:38 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by juggerman
No one was brought back to life. He got a new family

That's f*cked up.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 10:15 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I muse it's good fanfiction material that Satan quit after God ordered him to serve mankind.

Just think. This immortal creature is being asked to be the servants of these imperfect beings.

So he rejects God, destroys mankind (via temptation), is banished for doing such, etc. etc.

Then again I don't believe Satan actually exists and is really just symbolic for evil but whatever.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:46 AM
Jaggarath is currently offline Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

There is the other version of Satan(called Sataniel or Satariel) from the Book of Enoch who was basically the leader of a group of angels tasked with watching humanity. They were only supposed to observe. But they fell in love with humans and wanting to be with them and rebelled so they could take on bodies and be with them. Or something along those lines.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 24th, 2015 at 03:51 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:48 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Was that in the Bible?

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:49 AM
Jaggarath is currently offline Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah the Book of Enoch. Which admittedly has..a lot of strange stuff in it.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:51 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Good.

I really only have one rule for these sort of things:

If you want to write a fanfiction, make it good. wink

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:52 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which is another problem with the bible as it was a council of people who decided which religious texts to reject and which to accept.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:56 AM