KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Punisher (Netflix)

The Punisher (Netflix)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Lost
I think you'd like The Raid: Redemption and it's sequel. Go watch, if you haven't. I've gotten action freak vibes from you so if you're an action freak? There's little that's better.

I like action, yeah. But I really just like well done, well directed movies and typically not stupid spandex uniforms and ridiculous super powers.

And yeah, I've seen The Raid: Redemption and it's fucking awesome. I've been meaning to rewatch that actually. Saw the sequel, too, didn't like it as much at the time, but I probably should give it another chance.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 01:09 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

You and me both. Every single time I see one of these new superhero movies, it gets more and more tired each time for me. I mean, Thor: Ragnarok does look like fun but it's just getting so absurd...

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 01:18 PM
Gehenna is currently offline Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by The Lost
You and me both. Every single time I see one of these new superhero movies, it gets more and more tired each time for me. I mean, Thor: Ragnarok does look like fun but it's just getting so absurd...

Please post more. So many annoying comicbook nerds here have taken over.

That's actually a reason I am rather enjoying Punisher so far because there isn't really any supernatural element to it.

Yeah, admittedly I do want to see Thor: Ragnarok at some point and I also can't wait to see Justice League ironically with some friends because it looks hilarious awful! laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 01:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I finished the Punisher the other day. I liked it but...holy shit is there some weird mystical curse over NYC in Marvel where bullets just don't work as well as they normally do?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 05:51 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Finished it last night. Very happy with it. It was pretty much what I wanted, though I would have preferred a bit more of Frank going after regular criminals and what not. Hopefully they will have more of that next season. I'd love an adaptation of The Slavers or something like that.

But for a first season it made sense to have the story centered so much on his past.

Also strong acting for most of the main cast. Some of the lines were poorly written and cheesy, but that's par the course for comic books shows. But I loved the tone, atmosphere and level of violence. It was more or less just where it needed to be.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 11:16 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I admit this is the first show [SPOILER - highlight to read]: I got pissed over a character death. Though it wasn't real, but when it seemed like Micro was dead I was like "oh f*ck you"

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 11:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by BackFire
Finished it last night. Very happy with it. It was pretty much what I wanted, though I would have preferred a bit more of Frank going after regular criminals and what not. Hopefully they will have more of that next season. I'd love an adaptation of The Slavers or something like that...

I'd have LOVED to see that.

7/10 for me. Loved the first episode and it got good again from about episode 10 on. Episode 11 was everything I'd hoped for and gets 11/10. Since I'm not American the whole PTSD/disillusioned vet/freedom fighter vs terrorist topic didn't do much for me. I actually laughed out loud when [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Frank picked the worst car out of the garage "because it's American!"

I assume it makes sense to change the theme from vigilante wiping out organised crime to something more current in American society, and presumably Frank is still pretty new to the Punisher thing [SPOILER - highlight to read]: (having only 37 murders the authority knows about), so hopefully now that they've got this out of their system they can move on with the next series to something that has more universal appeal.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 08:26 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Since I'm not American the whole PTSD/disillusioned vet/freedom fighter vs terrorist topic didn't do much for me. I actually laughed out loud when [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Frank picked the worst car out of the garage "because it's American!"

I assume it makes sense to change the theme from vigilante wiping out organised crime to something more current in American society...

Yeah, I am American and that's the thing I like the least about the show so I agree, I'd rather just see a vigilante taking down organized crime. That's why Daredevil worked so damn well, good lord that show was great. But the PTSD thing is interesting to a degree, so I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:11 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I was truly shocked they didn't manage to somehow shove that one nurse into this series lol.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:00 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Loved this show and can't wait for season 2 when it's all out war between Russo and Frank

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:50 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ That reminds me... that blond girl from Daredevil, Karen? Is that her name? Was she a love interest for Punisher in the Daredevil series? I don't remember that.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:54 PM
Gehenna
Sorgo

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I am American and that's the thing I like the least about the show so I agree, I'd rather just see a vigilante taking down organized crime. That's why Daredevil worked so damn well, good lord that show was great. But the PTSD thing is interesting to a degree, so I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

Finished it as well.

The issue with that, at least for now, is that I think the writers wanted to distance the Punisher from being seemingly "heroic", in a sense. He had moments where he had done heroic actions, obviously the "biggest" one being in the last episode with [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Frank sparing Russo. Even then, using a broken mirror to cheese-grate a dude's face isn't exactly the stuff of heroes.

That worked amazingly with Daredevil because, despite the tension/uncertainty/drama surrounding vigilantes and the persistent argument of whether they're actually "heroes" or not, Daredevil is a traditional crime-fighting, costume-wearing hero and Frank Castle simply isn't. Plus, I appreciated the focus on more of how the Punisher is developing into who he is. It's almost an origin story stacked onto an origin story. Now that it's out of the way, I imagine a second season could have more flexibility to explore the Punisher just shit-kicking mobsters and criminals.

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:59 PM
Gehenna is currently offline Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Punisher was better than Daredevil.

There, I said it.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 08:38 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

^ That reminds me... that blond girl from Daredevil, Karen? Is that her name? Was she a love interest for Punisher in the Daredevil series? I don't remember that.

No, but she did help him and he helped her. There wasn't much of a romance though.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 09:50 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Karen's a superhero groupie, it's pretty obvious.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 10:31 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

She cares deeply for him and he took bullets for her. I think she is just a strong emotional bond that keeps him human, idk it's true love though unless the writers have her get with him due to Matts renewed bond with Elektra

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 11:59 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

Originally posted by Mindset
Punisher was better than Daredevil.

There, I said it.

Honestly? I didn't think so. Daredevil is still my favorite of the Marvel TV series. Don't me wrong, I still thought The Punisher was quite good.

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 12:20 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

The show was enjoyable and had an entertaining story, but I don't feel it was worthy of the Punisher. I compare it to Zach Snyder and Man Of Steel. When making MOS, it's clear that Snyder saw Superman 's story of "alien becomes an inspiring hero", and found the "alien" part more interesting than the "inspiring hero" part. With this show, it feels like the writers saw The Punisher's backstory of "military veteran who becomes a vigilante" , and found the "military veteran" aspect more interesting than the " vigilante " aspect.

I want to see blood and gore watching the Punisher, but not just standard gore. I want to see the Punisher hunt down and terrorize crime rings. I want DDS2 Punisher, the seemingly invincible one man army who hangs criminals on meat hooks and whose name evokes fear, who explicitly stated he doesn't suffer from PTSD and whose vigilantism leaves him with the consequences of facing his victim's orphans. This show felt more like a bloody melodramatic Jack Reacher, focusing on a military conspiracy and PTSD, only barely addressing vigilantism. Frank was badass this season, but he didn't feel like an one man army, and while his kills were brutal, they weren't mercilessly cruel, like his meat hook display from DD.

The thing about the military conspiracy as well is that I thought it was the weakest part of DDS2, and was relieved at the end of that season when it seemed they were done with Frank's backstory. Instead we now get ANOTHER backstory that is entirely unnecessary and has little to do with punishing criminals and the ethics of vigilantism.

Like I said, it's an entertaining show, but it's not the Punisher I was waiting for.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Last edited by Lestov16 on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 12:53 AM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 12:48 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Surtur
No, but she did help him and he helped her. There wasn't much of a romance though.

Originally posted by carthage
She cares deeply for him and he took bullets for her. I think she is just a strong emotional bond that keeps him human, idk it's true love though unless the writers have her get with him due to Matts renewed bond with Elektra

Fair enough.

Anyway, 6 episodes in now and pretty hooked. This show is getting really, really good. Looking forward to some major mayhem going down... [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Really surprised that his friend Billy has betrayed him, or so it appears (or maybe he's luring Agent Orange to Punisher so Punisher can take him out). He does seem to like fancy clothes and cars, though, so maybe Agent Orange made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 03:17 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Punisher was far better than Daredevil ever was.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 12:47 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote