KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Punisher (Netflix)

The Punisher (Netflix)
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I was very pissed when it got cancelled, it had potential but Darabont just can't shut the phuck up.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 11:45 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rick Deckard

Recently finished watching Netflix's The Punisher series. Incredible show. Rough, gritty, uncompromising, and brutal. It's tough to compare this to the other Marvel Netflix shows since it's got such a different vibe/tone, but it's definitely up there as one of my top 3 favorites - along with DD (both seasons) and Jessica Jones. There are some mild SPOILERS below, so don't read on if you haven't finished watching the series - and want to be genuinely surprised.

I've never been in the military or in combat, but my impression here is that this series at least appears to paint a somewhat realistic picture of what happens when some soldiers who come back from war & have a difficult time re-adjusting to civilian life because of severe PTSD. So, the storyline involving the disturbed young soldier who came back from overseas was quite poignant and sad, though it obviously didn't excuse his horrific actions. The actor playing this soldier also did a great job playing LHO in an excellent Hulu series, 11/22/63. It's was interesting that he played a similar character in both shows.

Though the whole series was great, to me things really ramped up in the last 4 episodes - starting with the soldier's attack on the hotel (trying to take out the congressman), which led directly up to the finale.

My favorite sequence in the whole series was when the mercenaries (on Billy Russo's team) invaded the basement/bunker that Frank & Micro had been holed up, and then were subsequently taken out by Frank (who had set them up) - who seemed to do so without even breaking a sweat.

One of the most difficult scenes to watch was when the young soldier was standing in the meat locker & counting down to the end, while The Punisher stood outside & understandably encouraged him.

Looking forward, I agree that it will be interesting to see where the character goes from here. He's avenged his family & is obviously at a loss as to what to do next. As we saw in the comics, will he go ahead and wage a one-man war on criminals? Will he team up with Micro again? The only thing that's obvious to me is that Jigsaw will probably appear in the future as Frank's nemesis.

Also wanted to mention that JB's depiction of The Punisher is far, far superior to any other on-screen depiction of the character (Dolph Lundgren, Thomas Jane, and the UK actor who starred in Punisher: War Zone). Amazing casting by Netflix, but there's no surprise there - since they also did an amazing job casting DD/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin, Foggy Nelson, Elektra, etc. in the DD Netflix series.The Punisher

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 04:23 AM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

You work for netflix, don't you?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 04:30 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rick Deckard

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
You work for netflix, don't you?

Nope. I'm just a huge fan of most Netflix shows, especially their Marvel ones. I've been a fan of Marvel comics ever since I was a kid in the '80's, and IMHO Netflix does a stellar job of both casting & producing shows based on the comics. I can't say the same for many Marvel films, however.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 01:47 PM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by BackFire
Agreed. Loved it. Hopefully they focus more on street level crime bosses and what not next season.

I'm with you on that. The first episode was awesome taking out those crime bosses at the poker game.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:07 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Still hold my original assessment. It's a great military conspiracy thriller, but not a good Punisher story, and a needlessly overcomplicated and prolonged backstory.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:40 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Lestov16
Still hold my original assessment. It's a great military conspiracy thriller, but not a good Punisher story, and a needlessly overcomplicated and prolonged backstory.
Nope, fight me.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 05:07 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Lestov16
Everyone has opinions and nobody can be right all the time. Don't feel bad.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 05:09 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

So season 2 is coming this late January from the sounds of it I guess, but where's the trailers and stuff if it's coming this soon?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2019 03:50 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Old Post Jan 4th, 2019 06:26 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

So then the 20th for the announcement that the show is cancelled?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2019 10:17 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Unfortunately expecting it to be cancelled of course, but like the other shows, can look forward to this ending on a high note at least, assuming this 2nd season is even better than the first one.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2019 12:06 PM
Impediment
Endless

*yawn*

Season one was good, but nothing epic. Jigsaw is a lame villain, IMO, and looks lame.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2019 02:55 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
http://www.darkhorizons.com/punishe...date-announced/

The 18th huh? Works for me.

I was excited for this until I saw that Jigsaw is still going to be involved. Stupid.

Of all the choices....

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2019 09:17 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Galan007
I was excited for this until I saw that Jigsaw is still going to be involved. Stupid.

Of all the choices....

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 01:58 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

will watch then following week it gets cancelled

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 03:38 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I liked the Billy Russo that Ben Barnes played in this series, so willing to give Jigsaw the benefit of a doubt here. After the Punisher Warzone flop was kinda wanting to see the character done better anyway.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 05:32 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

From the appearances of Jigsaw that i've seen of him in the comics, He's a good villain.. Its Punisher Warzone that did a average job of the character.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 05:47 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I liked the Billy Russo that Ben Barnes played in this series, so willing to give Jigsaw the benefit of a doubt here. After the Punisher Warzone flop was kinda wanting to see the character done better anyway.
He was good *as* Billy Russo... I'm just not very optimistic that he'll fit the unstable/unhinged role of Jigsaw nearly as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong, though, because if this is the last season, I'd really like it to end on a high note... I'm very much a fan of Jon Bernthal's Punisher, tbh.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 04:45 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Trailer could be a misdirect. I recall an article from a couple of months ago that said Jigsaw would not be the main S2 villain. They might have changed their minds on that again in the meantime though.

I am more concerned about the rumblings I've heard that there is a very preachy, SJW tone to s2. I hope that it's just rumour mill nonsense, because that would suck.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Jan 5th, 2019 at 05:29 PM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 05:24 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote