KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Amazing? Why?

Amazing? Why?
Started by: eninn

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Islam does not encourages violence against Christians, Jews and non-believers in general. It permits peaceful co-existence with such people as long as they do not wage war against Islam and seek to eliminate Muslims. I find this code justified; live and let live remember?

Okay, so quote some Quran that supports this, because that would be great to help calm down the middle east. Somehow I doubt it exists in the Quran, but this does exist in the Quran...

quote:
The believers who stay at home--apart from those that suffer from a grave impediment--are not the equal of those who fight for the cause of God with their goods and their persons. God has given those that fight with their goods and their persons a higher rank than those who stay at home. God has promised all a good reward; but far richer is the recompense of those who fight for Him .... He that leaves his dwelling to fight for God and His apostle and is then overtaken by death, shall be rewarded by God .... The unbelievers are your inveterate enemies."

4:95-101

(The words of the Quran quoted in Red for the blood of infidels it intends to spill; praise be to Allah). "Inveterate enemies." That doesn't sound like it's preaching peace to me. You can do all sorts of verbal gymnastics to justify it, but the meaning is clear and it's not peace with non-believers.

I really am astonished that people can defend this religious bullshit and not admit to themselves and others that we (as humans) would be far better off without it. It's astonishing.

Old Post May 19th, 2017 02:30 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eninn

\\\\\
إمرأة أمريكية تصدع بالحق نحن هم الإرهابيون|American woman cracked right we are the terrorists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFJ-luFYL8

ضابط امريكي بالعراق يرمي نجومه لاجل الاسلام

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4TImRv4ELA

صحفى أمريكي يفضح دور أمريكا فى العالم العربى والاسلامي

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuogUDHetA8

حاخامات اليهود يتظاهرون من أجل عودة حكم المسلمين
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwXh04DY2kk

Old Post May 25th, 2017 05:57 AM
eninn is currently offline Click here to Send eninn a Private Message Find more posts by eninn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Prophets cannot be leaders or have talent in the matters of statehood and leading an army?

Never-mind the observations that Prophet Muhammad restructured the primitive/barbaric Arabs into a major civilization and political entity? He also sought to improve the status of women in that region.

I'm not saying that, I'm merely saying he was a warlord.

quote:
When he migrated to Medina with his followers, he established a treaty with Jewish inhabitants/clans of Medina (notably Banu Qainuqah and Banu Nadhir) that they will not conspire against him and support his enemies in Mecca and that they will help each other in the hour of need. He actually believed in the possibility of peaceful and mutually beneficial co-existence of Muslims and Jews in Medina: http://www.inter-islam.org/Seerah/R...heJewsL1P1.html

Prophet Muhammad was such a charismatic and friendly individual that people were embracing Islam in droves after interacting with him. Unfortunately, Jews in Medina perceived Muslim immigrants as aliens and a threat to their culture and political ambitions and colluded with their enemies in Mecca (violating the terms of treaty) in order to oust/eliminate them from Medina. It was at this juncture, Surah Al-Maidah came: https://versebyversequranstudycircl...maidah-ayah-51/

-- And Prophet Muhammad decided to act; he gave an ultimatum to Jewish clans to accept a new treaty (or) face banishment from Medina as punishment for violating the terms of original treaty (a large number of Jews chose the latter). However, this act of restraint would come back to haunt Muslims at a later stage when Banu Qainuqah and Banu Nadhir joined the forces of Mecca and collectively laid siege to Medina in order to eliminate its Muslim occupants in what came to be known as the Battle of Trench. To their utter shock, Muslims emerged victorious from this battle and decided to teach those jewish clans a lesson in its aftermath that led to the Battle of Ahzab (an event that is wrongfully projected in Western circles as a demonstration of persecution of innocent Jews at the hands of Muslims).

Problem is that those Jews were far from innocent and colluded with the enemies of Muslims in Mecca in order to eliminate/oust Muslims from Medina, violating the terms of treaty they had reached with Muslims earlier.

What do you mean when you say they "taught the jewish clans a lesson" ?

quote:
Authenticity of this information is in doubt; she was young but certainly not a child at the time of marriage. You can find ample information and explanation in this regard here: http://www.muslim.org/islam/aisha-age.htm#_ftnref3

I will grant you that we don't truly know the age.

quote:
The Battle of Ahzab against Banu Qainuqah....

Did you know that Muslims gave Banu Qainuqah a choice about the form of punishment they should receive for their crimes against Muslims?

The name Sa'ad bin Mu'az should ring bells in this case and punishment was awarded in accordance with religious beliefs of that clan.

What about the Jewish man tortured with fire? What about the poets who he killed? Oh and speaking of the battle you just mentioned, let us look at the insanity of that from wiki:

"According to Ibn Hisham, a dispute broke out between the Muslims and the Banu Qaynuqa (the allies of the Khazraj tribe) soon afterwards when a Muslim woman visited a jeweler's shop in the Qaynuqa marketplace, she was pestered to uncover her face. The goldsmith, a Jew, pinned her clothing such, that upon getting up, she was stripped naked. A Muslim man coming upon the resulting commotion killed the shopkeeper in retaliation. The Jews in turn killed the Muslim man. This escalated to a chain of revenge killings, and enmity grew between Muslims and the Banu Qaynuqa"

Okay so we start off with a tiny bit of a crazy, then it suddenly gets ramped up to 11 when a Muslim man comes along and sees this shopkeeper with her clothes torn off and just flips out and murders the Jewish guy who did it.

Everybody in that scenario in batshit insane.

quote:
Islam does not encourages violence against Christians, Jews and non-believers in general. It permits peaceful co-existence with such people as long as they do not wage war against Islam and seek to eliminate Muslims. I find this code justified; live and let live remember?

And why critic a religion while lacking in knowledge about its history and teachings? Fix your knowledge first and then offer your criticism. Blanket statements do not make your criticism credible and are likely to stir reaction in some quarters. smile

You don't need to be an expert to see these things IMO.

quote:
Some Islamic teachings are context-constrained and others broad in their application.

Islam permits a man to employ physical methods to punish his wife under the following set of conditions:

1. Wife was found to be excessively disobedient or cheating
2. Wife was respectfully requested to mend her ways but she didn't listen
3. Separation in sleep (as punishment)

If the aforementioned conditions have been met and failed to work, then the man can strike at his wife but he is not permitted to 'injure' his wife in any case; therefore, a physical blow from a man should be an act of warning rather than a decisive blow. If nothing works than divorce is the next logical step.

It is important to understand that Islam has not made the aforementioned instructions (mandatory) to employ against a disobedient spouse. A man can opt to issue warnings and employ non-violent ways to punish a disobedient wife and/or have the right to divorce her if his marriage remains in turmoil; same goes for the woman. You are not bound to suffer if your partner is a moron.

Therefore, blowing an Islamic revelation out of proportion - does not helps an argument.

---

Slavery sounds like a strong word; captive would be the word.

Islam permits a man to marry a captive woman if she is a believer, granting her freedom and equality in this manner (Surah An-Nisa; verse 25).

Slavery was an unintended consequence of wars in ancient times. Men were likely to become a casualty in the battlefield leaving their women and children to fend for themselves afterwards. More often, victors would decide to fate of such women and children; they would either choose to slay them or to take them in slavery. Islam does not encourage slaughter of innocent and harmless individuals in the battlefield therefore taking such survivors as captives was the next logical step. However, Islam encourage its followers to take good care of slaves/captives, set them free, convert them to Islam and even marry them.

You may want to check the constitution of the state where you reside. wink

And remember! Freedom of expression has consequences if not exercised with care. Every society has its shares of do's and don'ts. There is not such thing as an absolute freedom of expression.

I personally find freedom-based narratives utterly misleading.

It more or less sounds like you are saying it's okay to give her a little slap as a warning.

Old Post May 25th, 2017 06:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

What do you think of this website, Surtur? Legit?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/p...n/violence.aspx

Old Post May 26th, 2017 12:19 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
What do you think of this website, Surtur? Legit?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/p...n/violence.aspx

I think desperately sad people will try to spin what is shown. There is always an excuse. Look at the excuses for why it's okay to slap a chick. That came from someone defending this horrid religion lol. The defense is essentially "well hell, they try to put up with her behavior before slapping her and it's a last resort, but sometime she just gots to be slapped".

I'd love to see someone spin this line:

"And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing"

Oh and...

"Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. "

Not batshit insane at all. Respect this religion. Why should you respect it? I don't even know: astronauts and banana's? Any gibberish will make sense as to why. Carpets in San Diego love the Mets. That is why you should respect it.

Last edited by Surtur on May 28th, 2017 at 12:31 AM

Old Post May 28th, 2017 12:26 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Okay, so quote some Quran that supports this, because that would be great to help calm down the middle east. Somehow I doubt it exists in the Quran, but this does exist in the Quran...

(The words of the Quran quoted in Red for the blood of infidels it intends to spill; praise be to Allah). "Inveterate enemies." That doesn't sound like it's preaching peace to me. You can do all sorts of verbal gymnastics to justify it, but the meaning is clear and it's not peace with non-believers.

I really am astonished that people can defend this religious bullshit and not admit to themselves and others that we (as humans) would be far better off without it. It's astonishing.

Here: https://www.google.com.pk/amp/s/www...l-religion/amp/

Quran is a comprehensive read with its different surahs addressing different situations and contexts of life. It is really stupid to pick and choose among its quotes for point-scoring like you and Surtur are doing.

I have clearly pointed out to you that Islam encourages self-defense against forces that seek to eliminate Muslims be they conspiring Christians and Jews.

They crucified Jesus Christ. Do you think they wouldn't have crucified Muslims?

Old Post May 28th, 2017 01:58 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So wait...you say you pointed out it encourages self defense against forces that seek to eliminate them. But before that you talk about picking and choosing stuff.

So how is that not you picking and choose stuff as well? Since you talk about it encouraging self defense. Let me ask: does it ever at any point encourage anything else? Anything that would be seen as bad?

Old Post May 28th, 2017 05:49 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can't even read some of ennin's posts because they're so disorganised that I'm getting a headache. I might as well stop reading this thread.

Old Post May 28th, 2017 07:16 PM
YousufKhan1212 is currently offline Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Here: https://www.google.com.pk/amp/s/www...l-religion/amp/

Quran is a comprehensive read with its different surahs addressing different situations and contexts of life. It is really stupid to pick and choose among its quotes for point-scoring like you and Surtur are doing.

I have clearly pointed out to you that Islam encourages self-defense against forces that seek to eliminate Muslims be they conspiring Christians and Jews.

"Picking and choosing" is exactly what denominations do in various religions. That's a religious thing. Saying we are guilty of it is completely beside the point.

Ok, a few of those are good. 1-4 seem legit (if they are indeed true). But 5 doesn't include a verse to support it and 6 and 7 don't sound particularly relevant to advocating peace, since "doing good" is an extremely vague idea, especially in religious terms.

So that's like 4 or 4 1/2 verses (lol) to the hundred or so violent and awful-as-shit verses. Not a good ratio. And not to mention the treatment of women, gays, and apostates. But regardless, yes, those are the verses that moderates need to emphasize and be empowered by. It's up to Muslims to rise up and fix their religion, for sure.

Old Post May 28th, 2017 08:02 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
I can't even read some of ennin's posts because they're so disorganised that I'm getting a headache.

I gave up on his/her posts a long time ago. laughing out loud

Old Post May 28th, 2017 08:04 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also when it comes to picking and choosing, the extremists choose to follow some of the horrible stuff in their religious texts. If there are positive peaceful parts of their holy texts they seem to be ignoring them, which is the problem.

Also yeah, this is about Islam. I have said I don't like all religions, but I can acknowledge some are worse than others. I wouldn't be afraid to be around a Jainist extremist, for example. Not all Muslims are bad because not all follow the religion very strictly. But if you choose to actually follow it all...yeah, bad shit follows that.

Old Post May 28th, 2017 08:11 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Surtur

I'd love to see someone spin this line:

"And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing"

Oh and...

"Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. "

Not batshit insane at all. Respect this religion. Why should you respect it? I don't even know: astronauts and banana's? Any gibberish will make sense as to why. Carpets in San Diego love the Mets. That is why you should respect it.

laughing out loud Yeah, I saw some of those verses for the first time and my mouth was agape. Holy shit. Non-believers are "inveterate enemies," don't forget.

This religion should be respected, uh because... Constitution and stuff?

Old Post May 29th, 2017 12:54 PM
S_W_LeGenD

"Picking and choosing" is exactly what denominations do in various religions. That's a religious thing. Saying we are guilty of it is completely beside the point.

Ok, a few of those are good. 1-4 seem legit (if they are indeed true). But 5 doesn't include a verse to support it and 6 and 7 don't sound particularly relevant to advocating peace, since "doing good" is an extremely vague idea, especially in religious terms.

So that's like 4 or 4 1/2 verses (lol) to the hundred or so violent and awful-as-shit verses. Not a good ratio. And not to mention the treatment of women, gays, and apostates. But regardless, yes, those are the verses that moderates need to emphasize and be empowered by. It's up to Muslims to rise up and fix their religion, for sure.

To understand a religion, one needs to study it in full and try to make sense of all of it. Majority of Muslims are peaceful because that is what they came to understand after years of education and deliberations on Islamic matters.

Quran is written in the format of surah; different surah in it address different issues that Prophet Muhammad (and his followers) had to contend with during the course of their lives. An individual verse will not explain you the big picture.

Quran was not written in a single day, revelations came from time-to-time to guide Prophet Muhammad (and his followers) on how to respond to actions of their enemies, cope with different situations and introduce reforms.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on May 29th, 2017 at 01:36 PM

Old Post May 29th, 2017 01:28 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

So wait...you say you pointed out it encourages self defense against forces that seek to eliminate them.

True.

But before that you talk about picking and choosing stuff.

Where?

I am simply responding to queries of members here.

So how is that not you picking and choose stuff as well? Since you talk about it encouraging self defense. Let me ask: does it ever at any point encourage anything else? Anything that would be seen as bad?

I am not picking and choosing among verses in the manner that I will consider some verses that suit me and discard the rest.

My point is that Islam is a much more complex subject than a few verses that are encouraging self-defense and whose message is often blown out of proportion in media and in discussions where people discussing them have very limited knowledge of the subject in question.

I don't recall Islam encouraging BAD. However, Islamic notions of morality and do's and dont's for men and women are not 100% identical to Western norms. Still, one can find common ground in some areas. For example, Islam won't say Democracy is bad or unislamic because people have the right to choose their leader. However, Islam will encourage people to choose the best individual among candidates.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on May 29th, 2017 at 02:03 PM

Old Post May 29th, 2017 01:55 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

You know your posts are hard to follow when another Muslim gives up on trying to read it.

Old Post May 29th, 2017 02:43 PM
YousufKhan1212 is currently offline Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I don't recall Islam encouraging BAD. However, Islamic notions of morality and do's and dont's for men and women are not 100% identical to Western norms.

laughing out loud

Denying the horrors in that fucking book does no one any good.

Old Post May 29th, 2017 10:11 PM
S_W_LeGenD

laughing out loud

Denying the horrors in that fucking book does no one any good.

Being disrespectful doesn't helps your argument.

You don't understand that book. You cannot, by selectively reading it.

To understand Quran, you need to:

1. Consider a good translator (Sahih International is a good one).
2. Understand composition of Quran.
3. Determine when a surah was unveiled and it corresponds to which event or development of the time.

It is a full-time scholarly work.

The stuff that you consider horrible mostly corresponds to people who could not be reasoned with and wanted to kill Muslims. Quran doesn't encourage aggression against those who are peaceful. The seven verses I shared with you represent the crux of Islam. Rest is context-constrained.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jun 4th, 2017 at 07:21 PM

Old Post Jun 4th, 2017 07:14 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
You know your posts are hard to follow when another Muslim gives up on trying to read it.

???

Old Post Jun 4th, 2017 07:17 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

It is a full-time scholarly work.

To fully understand the context of the historical situations, sure, it would take a lifetime of study. But that's not an argument for Islam to be a legitimate set of beliefs for millions of people to pattern their lives around. I suspect that many Muslims don't study much of the context and make it a "scholarly" exercise and there is certainly plenty of room for violent interpretations.

Quran doesn't encourage aggression against those who are peaceful.

It doesn't say a whole lot to discourage it, though, and says a lot about taking out infidels, not specifying whether they are peaceful or not.

The seven verses I shared with you represent the crux of Islam.

Okay, great, it's easy to say that, but it's much harder to demonstrate. You haven't convinced me. And again I'll mention the horrible, violent verses GREATLY outnumber the vague, ambiguous, and easily twisted peaceful ones. the problem is many millions of people don't seem to take it in context, and clearly the supposed "religion of peace" doesn't seem to stress peace very much.

And don't forget about dogmas against apostasy and violence and subjugation against women in the Quran. These are ideals not conducive to civil and peaceful society. So again I ask: why defend this ideology?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2017 05:23 PM
S_W_LeGenD

To fully understand the context of the historical situations, sure, it would take a lifetime of study.

We are making some progress. thumb up

But that's not an argument for Islam to be a legitimate set of beliefs for millions of people to pattern their lives around. I suspect that many Muslims don't study much of the context and make it a "scholarly" exercise and there is certainly plenty of room for violent interpretations.

Your suspicion is surprisingly correct. I can attest to it based on my personal experiences and what I have observed.

Every Muslim should invest time in learning Islam in its true spirit but this is not possible if one does not bothers to understand Quran in a proper way, its composition and the contexts behind its Surah. However, this is time-consuming effort and many tend to consult the literature body of Hadith for quick references and guidance in practice. However, understanding Quran is important for self-awareness and to establish consensus in matters pertaining to the religion in question.

Selective reading is the root cause of all problems and creates room for violent interpretations as you put.

It doesn't say a whole lot to discourage it, though, and says a lot about taking out infidels, not specifying whether they are peaceful or not.

Okay, great, it's easy to say that, but it's much harder to demonstrate. You haven't convinced me. And again I'll mention the horrible, violent verses GREATLY outnumber the vague, ambiguous, and easily twisted peaceful ones. the problem is many millions of people don't seem to take it in context, and clearly the supposed "religion of peace" doesn't seem to stress peace very much.

Quran is not about statistics. Every verse carry weight but its context should be understood. As I pointed out earlier, selective reading is a problem. If one is to consider selective reading, why bother to compile all of it into a single coherent form of literature?

If you are reading a book, you should read it in full to understand what it is all about. Only than you will be in the position to correctly evaluate it.

And don't forget about dogmas against apostasy and violence and subjugation against women in the Quran. These are ideals not conducive to civil and peaceful society. So again I ask: why defend this ideology?

A large number of versus in Quran are merely descriptions of behavior of people and warnings to disbelievers to mend their ways or they will pay the price during an event known as "Day of Judgement." Such warnings extend to apostates as well. However, Quran does not authorize Muslims to take action against apostates unless they engage in politics against Islam. Once again, a conditional matter.

As for women; you may need to go through Surah al-Nisa: https://quran.com/4

It is like a charter of rights of women and orphans, a rarity in religious texts otherwise.

General explanation here: http://www.islamswomen.com/articles..._and_sunnah.php

Islam actually advances the notions of civility and peaceful society.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jun 6th, 2017 at 09:25 PM

Old Post Jun 6th, 2017 09:18 PM