KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Foreign Cinema » Thor vs Link

Thor vs Link
Started by: NotAllThatEvil

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Honestly, Link wading through Lava is impressive, and while it is a game mechanic, Nintendo could have just made him instantly dead once he touches Lava, which is what happened in a lot of games back then, and since the game is the SOURCE MATERIAL, we have no choice but to take feats straight from the game.

Nikkos Tyris Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 04:59 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
The Gauntlets were meant to make Link able to lift and move heavy objects and nothing else.

The Master Sword is weaker than the Big Goron Sword, the only advantage the Master Sword has over it is its ability to banish evil. That's why you could only defeat Ganon with the Master Sword.

So let me get this straight. I think the gloves make link stronger. You think they make what he picks up lighter? That goes against the in game text.

And you still haven't given a reaon why you think thor would win.

Ps. The master sword cut a continent in half. The biggoron sword is not stronger.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:35 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
So let me get this straight. I think the gloves make link stronger. You think they make what he picks up lighter?

No. I never said that. I said it augmented his lifting capacity, which it does. But it doesn't make him swing his sword faster for greater impact.

Ps. The master sword cut a continent in half. The biggoron sword is not stronger.

It didn't in Ocarina of Time, and in that game the Biggoron Sword deals twice as much damage as the Master Sword.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:40 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

So the damage link takes is a game mechanic that shouldn't be taken seriously, but the damage link gives is an 100% accurate description and should be taken as fact despite going against the gane's cutscenes and lore? Gotcha.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:45 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

So the damage link takes is a game mechanic that shouldn't be taken seriously,

Not unless you want to argue that irked poultry cause more damage than being pushed face-down into lava.

but the damage link gives is an 100% accurate description and should be taken as fact despite going against the gane's cutscenes and lore?

I never said that either. I simply pointed out that there's no evidence of any kind that suggests that Link could hit any harder with his enchanted gauntlets.

Last edited by Astner on Jan 27th, 2016 at 06:01 AM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:55 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Except the text that tells you now have superstrength when you get them. The only reason you think they don't is becsuse of a game mechanic. TP link regularly tosses around giant rhino goats and gorons, but he doesn't hit hard enought to decapitate a bulbin in one go. The damage enemies take is as muchagame mechanic as snake being able to survive getting shot a thousand times.

And besides all that, you still haven't told us why tou think thor would win.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 06:03 AM
Astner
Rex Deum

Except the text that tells you now have superstrength when you get them.

I couldn't find any screen captures of the Golden Gauntlets, but here's the description for the Silver Gauntlets—I imagine them being fairly similar.

(please log in to view the image)

The description if very specific in regards to the ability granted.

The only reason you think they don't is becsuse of a game mechanic.

No. I don't think they augment striking power because there are no implications of it whatsoever. Not in the mechanics, not in the descriptions and not in the cut-scenes.

And besides all that, you still haven't told us why tou think thor would win.

When did I tell you that I think Thor would win?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 06:13 AM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Is this the same puzzle-solving fairy from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? And if so, what happened? Because back then even Electra should've been able to use her superior acrobatics to drive one of her sai through his frontal bone.

It was implied. That text does say you now have extra power in your arms. If it gives you power to lift, it gives you power to hit. Its applying force.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 06:18 AM
Astner
Rex Deum

It was implied.

In terms of the second round, yeah—in which case I'd redirect you to the Thor Respect Thread.

But I couldn't comment on the first round because I haven't seen any of the Thor movies.

If it gives you power to lift, it gives you power to hit. Its applying force.

You've never heard of a hydraulic jack, have you?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 06:29 AM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

A hydraulic jack can't throw something like link did. Its bot just lifting, he also tosses those pillars around.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 06:42 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

I installed a new ****ing browser just to post this.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 06:50 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

A hydraulic jack can't throw something like link did. Its bot just lifting, he also tosses those pillars around.

Read your own arguments. You said that striking capacity and lifting capacity was the same: "it's applying force," I addressed asinine comparison with a mechanical advice that is limited in its distribution of applying force.

My point was, they're not commutative. Just because you can lift and throw heavy objects does not necessarily mean that you can swing a sword faster, which is the requirement for increasing the swords deceleration at impact.

You're grasping at straws to justify capabilities that Link has not shown.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:06 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Originally posted by ScreamPaste

I installed a new ****ing browser just to post this.

Is this somehow unclear?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:28 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

Is this somehow unclear?

No one argues that the Golden Gauntlets augment lifting-capacity, we know that from game-play.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:33 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

No one argues that the Golden Gauntlets augment lifting-capacity, we know that from game-play.

Ah, I see, you're being intentionally obtuse. The gauntlets give him strength.

Now that we've, at the end of page 2, established that Links gear does what Links gear does (I'm sure next I'll have to prove that Link breathes, or something?) do you have any other questions?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:36 AM
Astner
Rex Deum

Ah, I see, you're being intentionally obtuse. The gauntlets give him strength.

Now you're just playing with semantics. The gauntlets give Link the power/strength to lift and move heavy objects, he does this in-game. It did not increase the damage he delivered with his sword or any other weapon in-game; and there is no external reason to believe it would from an analytical standpoint either.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:44 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Now you're just playing with semantics. The gauntlets give Link the power/strength to lift and move heavy objects, he does this in-game. It did not increase the damage he delivered with his sword or any other weapon in-game; and there is no external reason to believe it would from an analytical standpoint either.

"Making you stronger doesn't actually mean making you stronger."

Interesting point of view you have there.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:45 AM
Astner
Rex Deum

"Making you stronger doesn't actually mean making you stronger."

Interesting point of view you have there.

Equivocation.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:48 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Oh, yes, because "strength" is also the name of "strength". I forgot. How wrong of me to confuse a strength enhancing item with an item which enhances strength.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:52 AM
Jmanghan

Equivocation.
I'm not sure this situation is the correct time to use that, as, according to them, it can't be applied to this situation.

He has gauntlets that make him stronger, therefore he is stronger.

As far as it goes with punching power, I dunno.

But a sword swing should definitely qualify as a good use for the gauntlets.

Nikkos Tyris Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 07:55 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote