KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Foreign Cinema » Thor vs Link

Thor vs Link
Started by: NotAllThatEvil

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astner
Rex Deum

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Oh, yes, because "strength" is also the name of "strength". I forgot. How wrong of me to confuse a strength enhancing item with an item which enhances strength.

It's amazing how you can fail to grasp something so simple, even when explained to you.

You're using the word strength in two different ways. Let me clarify with a general example and hopefully this time it will stick.

"Julia is stronger than Josh because she handled their breakup better."

"Josh can bench 200 pounds."

"Therefore Julia can bench more than 200 pounds."

This is a case of equivocation because the word strength is used with different meanings.

Likewise you're trying to erase the line between lifting-capacity and the ability to deliver a high-impact blow.

And this is your only argument. As I said, there is nothing in-game that even implies that Link could hit harder.

Last edited by Astner on Jan 27th, 2016 at 08:07 AM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:04 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Originally posted by Astner
It's amazing how you can fail to grasp something so simple, even when explained to you.

You're using the word strength in two different ways. Let me clarify with a general example and hopefully this time it will stick.

"Julia is stronger than Josh because she handled their breakup better."

"Josh can bench 200 pounds."

"Therefore Julia can bench more than 200 pounds."

This is a case of equivocation because the word strength is used with different meanings.

Likewise you're trying to erase the line between lifting-capacity and the ability to deliver a high-impact blow.

And this is your only argument. As I said, there is nothing in-game that even implies that Link could hit harder.

Oh, I see, so the Golden Gauntlets give Link the emotional strength to move mountains. It sure was ambiguous, thank you for clearing that up.

I'm gonna go feel at some mountains until they get the **** out of my way. Lol.

You done?

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:08 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

Oh, I see, so the Golden Gauntlets give Link the emotional strength to move mountains.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:09 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

(please log in to view the image)

Now you're getting it.

Are you done trying to draw imaginary limitations on physical strength, or should I settle in with some snacks?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:10 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

Are you done trying to draw imaginary limitations on physical strength,

Force and momentum are not commutative units.

Last edited by Astner on Jan 27th, 2016 at 08:34 AM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:30 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Force and momentum are not commutative properties.

You're right, a sword swing from a guy who can move mountains is no more dangerous than one from a regular man.

Especially in fiction: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...n/MightyGlacier

This is why Quicksilver's punches hurt more than The Hulk's.

Right? Right?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:34 AM
Jmanghan

Force and momentum are not commutative properties.
So you're saying, the Golden Gauntlets have no combative use whatsoever?

Nikkos Tyris Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:35 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
Rex Deum

You're right, a sword swing from a guy who can move mountains is no more dangerous than one from a regular man.

Especially in fiction: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...n/MightyGlacier

This is why Quicksilver's punches hurt more than The Hulk's.

Right? Right?

Wait, so you're relying on tropes rather than physics despite the fact that there's no evidence supporting Link's supposed enhanced sword-swings?

I'm sorry, but "characters that can lift heavy things in fiction usually hit harder," is poor substitute for evidenceóbe it evidence by reason (physics) or direct evidence (in-game).

Originally posted by Jmanghan
So you're saying, the Golden Gauntlets have no combative use whatsoever?

No. Link could still throw boulders, move away rubble and arguably crush someone in a bear-hug. But he's not swinging his sword any faster.

Last edited by Astner on Jan 27th, 2016 at 08:46 AM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 08:43 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

I don't have to prove that stronger characters hit harder. thumb up

Not that it matters, Link can swing his sword fast enough to deflect lightning, so even if someone did latch on to your attempt to separate strength from strength, it wouldn't matter.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 09:00 AM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Force and momentum are not commutative units.

He seemed to have dome good momentum going when he threw it across the room...

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 02:12 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
I know somethin'

It's pretty clear Link would cut Mjolnir in half if they locked up. It doesn't do well against uber swords.

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/bi...010-18.jpg.html

"I am about to go in the kitchen and see if I can make tin foil make the ripping noise."
"I tried ripping metal...just wouldn't work for me."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 02:54 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Movie Thor was great at one thing; being on his back

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 03:05 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Etherean Fire
Noble Al-LIE

Oh, I see, so the Golden Gauntlets give Link the emotional strength to move mountains. It sure was ambiguous, thank you for clearing that up.

I'm gonna go feel at some mountains until they get the **** out of my way. Lol.

You done?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 04:50 PM
Etherean Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Etherean Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Etherean Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Originally posted by Sacred Fire

Glad I'm not the only one who knows I'm hilarious.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:39 PM
NemeBro
Savior of KMC

Astner is 100% right that the Golden Gauntlets granting Link the ability to hit harder is 100% an assumption with no backing for it in OoT.

However, we can look at other Links, most notably TP Link, and how neither shows any difference in their ability to harm Ganon. TP Link demonstrates physical strength more or less on par with OoT Link without the Golden Gauntlets, and both are able to wound Ganondorf. Also notably, the Hero's Shade in TP is explicitly OoT Link, who is perfectly capable of matching TP Link blow for blow.

"I GOTTA FIND OUT WHO KILLED MY DAD"

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 09:26 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
I know somethin'

TP Link with the Golden Gauntlets cuts Thor and his whacker in half with one slash

"I am about to go in the kitchen and see if I can make tin foil make the ripping noise."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 10:43 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

You guys know Thor recenctly forced a destroyed planet back together, after cracking said planet with his indirect blows?

He would kill Link without noticing him.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 11:29 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Originally posted by NemeBro
Astner is 100% right that the Golden Gauntlets granting Link the ability to hit harder is 100% an assumption with no backing for it in OoT.

However, we can look at other Links, most notably TP Link, and how neither shows any difference in their ability to harm Ganon. TP Link demonstrates physical strength more or less on par with OoT Link without the Golden Gauntlets, and both are able to wound Ganondorf. Also notably, the Hero's Shade in TP is explicitly OoT Link, who is perfectly capable of matching TP Link blow for blow.
If you're going to play Devil's Advocate, do it for a series you pay attention to.

Originally posted by One Big Mob
TP Link with the Golden Gauntlets cuts Thor and his whacker in half with one slash
TP Link never had the golden gauntlets, and isn't in the first fight, and with them would still not be strong enough to destroy comic mjolnir in the second fight. Please attain a state of serenity in which to consider your own statements.

Originally posted by Henry_Pym
You guys know Thor recenctly forced a destroyed planet back together, after cracking said planet with his indirect blows?

He would kill Link without noticing him.
2013 is not "recent", you'd be better off pointing out how Thor and Hyperion fought the beyonders. That was actually relatively recent. Also, no one has even begun discussing comicbook Thor, and I'm basically only here to clear up misconceptions. The number of which I'm seeing seems to be on the rise.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2016 12:51 AM
NemeBro
Savior of KMC

If you're going to play Devil's Advocate, do it for a series you pay attention to.
I'm not sure how me commenting on two games I've played while also supporting your position in the debate made you so incredibly butthurt, but it makes me feel special regardless. Thanks.

"I GOTTA FIND OUT WHO KILLED MY DAD"

Old Post Jan 28th, 2016 01:06 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
I know somethin'

So we're all under the opinion that TP Link with the Golden Gauntlets would decapitate Mjolnir then?

The question then turns into wondering if Mjolnir could handle Master Sword blasts before Link got close enough to gut Thor

Old Post Jan 28th, 2016 01:15 AM