KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?

Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?
Started by: Darth Abonis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Kyle had teaching though, he used his Stormtrooper fencing training in conjunction with what he learned from Master Rahn to use his lightsaber.

Neither of which knew much about lightsaber techniques as those were found again much later.
Originally posted by queeq
EU.

As heavily as Canon has borrowed from Legends already, I doubt this has changed much. Not to mention Luke being able to take on Vader with bare minimum in actual combat training.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 10:34 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Neither of which knew much about lightsaber techniques as those were found again much later.

Right but it's not as if Kyle was just some bum who picked up a saber and knew how to use it. He did have some form of training.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 10:44 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Well, yes and no. Her potential as a Skywalker just showed itself in a different way. Better way.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 12:37 AM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Right but it's not as if Kyle was just some bum who picked up a saber and knew how to use it. He did have some form of training.

I mean Rey does too. I'm actually more annoyed by Kylo's performance than hers, if we we're being honest.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 01:08 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, maybe that's exactly what the film makers went for. I am sure Kylo feels the same way. Maybe ironically this fight drive out the last shreds of light in him.

Except maybe one tiny shred which will cause his turn back to the light.

Originally posted by FreshestSlice

As heavily as Canon has borrowed from Legends already, I doubt this has changed much. Not to mention Luke being able to take on Vader with bare minimum in actual combat training.

It's still EU and therefore not an argument.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 07:13 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Perhaps.

What I meant was: she's not a natural light sabre fighter. I don't think being in tune with the Force automatically gives you fighting SKILLS. It gives one abilities to 'see things before they happen'. That's helpful in a fight of course.

However she does have some stick fighting skills (we saw her using her staff as a weapon earlier, clearly the result of considerable practice) and she seems in tune with the Force. The combo is what we see.

^this, and if you watch her use the lightsaber she wields it a bit like a staff.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 10:27 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Well, maybe that's exactly what the film makers went for. I am sure Kylo feels the same way. Maybe ironically this fight drive out the last shreds of light in him.

Except maybe one tiny shred which will cause his turn back to the light.

It's still EU and therefore not an argument.

It's not even about that. The film just sets up reason upon reason on why one part deserved victory over another which completely ruins tension. I have no doubt that's what the film makers were going for. It doesn't make it less annoying, but incredibly more so.

Something being in the EU doesn't exactly stop it from being an argument. If the Force works exactly the same, and it has since TCW, I don't see why it would radically change, especially when Rebels has examples of pretty much the same thing in Kanan, who has minimal training at best. erm

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 02:37 PM
queeq
Chaos

EU simply cannot be used as an argument in a canon debate. So far Katarn is the ONLY example used and it's EU. So it simply doesn't count.

And I understand what you're saying about the Kylo-Rey fight. It didn't feel that way to me because it seems to set up for something much bigger. All SW now has to do, is deliver...

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 07:48 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

The Force gives visions... not lightsabers.

Maz Kanata "That lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him and now it calls to you!"

She specifically says the "Lightsaber" is calling to Rey. Then later she goes on to say "the force" will guide her. So the Force could have given her that vision anytime really.

It was more than obvious and implied in the movie that the "vision" was attached to the light-saber, since she was practically teleported after she touched the thing.

Yes, the Force gives visions, and according to TFA, inanimate objects do as well.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2016 08:28 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, just because Maz says so, it doesn't mean it's true. Sure, the Force uses the lightsaber to guide Rey, just like the Force used the tree on Dagobah to teach Luke. The tree is not the Dark Side.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2016 03:00 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Or what if it actually IS the Dark Side. I have a theory, hear me out guys--- The tree on Dagobah is actually Darth Plagueis, who has managed to merge his soul with the Dark Side itself, and live forever as an immortal tree.

Pretty solid theory, guys.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2016 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Okay, you convinced me.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2016 08:05 AM