KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why is what we do any business is it of God's?

Why is what we do any business is it of God's?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

I was always taught not to mumble. wink

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 06:31 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I always mumbled as a child. People could never hear me when I'd first say something. I'd always have a tendency to look at the ground too so basically I always looked guilty. I remember in 3rd grade my teacher took me aside and called me a "shit starter" for this. I remember even at the time finding it weird.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 04:01 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

You should've mumbled like God. I bet that would've stained her undies.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 05:27 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know, or I should of been like "yeah a shit starter, but it beats killing babies like God, right?".

Old Post Feb 10th, 2016 03:28 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

She would have slapped you across your shit-starter face.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Feb 10th, 2016 04:30 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

eek!

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 01:08 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's possible, though I never did see anyone get hit with a ruler or something like they used to do back in the day.

Yep, they used to beat young kids with sticks for acting up, because religion!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 04:15 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Yep, they used to beat young kids with sticks for acting up, because religion!

No. Because they used to chastise children because it was considered standard disciplinary conditioning. It had nothing to do with any religion.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 06:00 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Astner
No. Because they used to chastise children because it was considered standard disciplinary conditioning. It had nothing to do with any religion.

Ah, but good christians should of recognized it was abhorrent behavior, correct? Or should religious people just go with the flow, regardless of how it matches up with the shit they spout?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 06:03 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Ah, but good christians should of recognized it was abhorrent behavior, correct? Or should religious people just go with the flow, regardless of how it matches up with the shit they spout?

You don't seem to understand. It wasn't a religious practice, and it wasn't considered evil. People throughout all known history have chastised children to add a noxious stimuli for certain destructive behavior; and it's not just limited to people either, a number of animals—mammals in particular—also punish some of the undesirable behavior among their offspring.

Last edited by Astner on Feb 16th, 2016 at 06:29 PM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 06:25 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wasn't actually trying to say it is a religious practice, though I can see how it was taken that way. I was making fun of the fact religious people were beating children. Especially if the reason boils down to "it was the thing to do in those days".

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 06:30 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I wasn't actually trying to say it is a religious factor. I was making fun of the fact religious people were beating children.

It looked more as if you were whining. Either way it's a moot point because it's not a behavior exclusive to religious people; nor does it conflict with any wide-spread religious decrees as far as I'm aware.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2016 06:35 PM
riv6672

Spare the rod, spoil the child, is that a religious expression?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2016 03:02 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by riv6672

If the rod in question is meant to be a metaphor for penis, then it certainly sounds religious

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 11:12 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I'd say that was hilarious but i'm still under oath.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 11:26 AM
bluewaterrider

Proverbs 13:24
24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son:
but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passag...roverbs+13%3A24

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 08:18 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Excellent, thank you! thumb up

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 10:37 PM
55iopy

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
[B]Proverbs 13:24
24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son:
but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Hey Blue.

It's believed that the proverb is the inspiration for that quote, but the quote itself comes from "Hudibras" by Samuel Butler.

If matrimony and hanging go
    By dest'ny, why not whipping too?
    What med'cine else can cure the fits
    Of lovers when they lose their wits?
    Love is a boy by poets stil'd
    Then spare the rod and spoil the child

I'd include link to the full poem but I havent't posted enough to be trusted with links.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2016 02:39 PM
55iopy is currently offline Click here to Send 55iopy a Private Message Find more posts by 55iopy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Astner
It looked more as if you were whining. Either way it's a moot point because it's not a behavior exclusive to religious people; nor does it conflict with any wide-spread religious decrees as far as I'm aware.

But nobody was whining. Merely commenting on something I found amusing. Nor did anyone ever say it was exclusive to religious people, so we can nip that in the butt as well. It was an offhand comment.

I wonder how spoiled the first borns in Egypt felt.

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 27th, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2016 10:06 PM
riv6672

Originally posted by 55iopy
Hey Blue.

It's believed that the proverb is the inspiration for that quote, but the quote itself comes from "Hudibras" by Samuel Butler.

If matrimony and hanging go
    By dest'ny, why not whipping too?
    What med'cine else can cure the fits
    Of lovers when they lose their wits?
    Love is a boy by poets stil'd
    Then spare the rod and spoil the child

I'd include link to the full poem but I havent't posted enough to be trusted with links.

Very cool.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2016 06:01 AM