KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why is what we do any business is it of God's?

Why is what we do any business is it of God's?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Finally got around to reading the whole thing. thumb up
55iopy needs to post more often.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2016 05:37 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Finally got around to reading the whole thing. thumb up
55iopy needs to post more often.

Indeed, and someday I'd like to hear her background, for she seems to know a lot about literature. I frankly used to wonder if she might not be the anonymous handle of my mom, for we live miles and miles apart, and see each other only on holidays or special occasions, and KMC is not something I can remember us 2 ever talking about. Mom, like Iopy, also has the manner of an instructor and mentor to younger people, and for good reason.

Age is right. "Voice" when writing is resonant. The musings are what I'd expect... Suffice to say, rare though her postings are, there is no one on this board more strangely familial than Iopy.

Actually, I'm content not knowing for the present. Either she isn't, and is a poster altogether enjoyable and resonant despite our not actually knowing each other in real life outside the realm of the Internet, or she is in fact who perhaps 10% of me thinks she actually might be.
In which case I'd better make darn sure I don't post here on any more holidays!

(Wouldn't do to have her think she's a better detective than me ...)

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2016 11:42 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
If God gave humans free will, why does he draw the line at certain things?
Is it conditional free will, because thats not really free, then.
Is this covered in the Bible?

I found, and quoted this from another website concerning this topic.

The Dual nature of men and women.

Turning to the Bible, we find the only satisfactory account of man’s beginning. “So God created man in his own image … male and female created he them” (Gen. 1:27). “Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us?” (Mal. 2:10). From the original pair, Adam and Eve, the entire human race has sprung; for Eve is declared to be “the mother of all living” (Gen. 3:20). The Bible writers uniformly acknowledge this common origin of man. Paul affirms that God “hath made of one blood all nations of men … for we are also his offspring” (Acts 17:26, 28).
From whatever standpoint we view man, he appears as the special workmanship of God, the highest type of earthly creatures, made “in the image of God,” to use the language of the writer of Genesis. This expression, “image of God,” is comprehensive. It implies that special characteristics of the Divine One are made a part of man’s being. Thus, man is a moral being. In his normal state his actions are not determined by mere instinct or expediency or self-interest, but they are regarded as possessing in their own nature a clearly defined rightness or wrongness. In this moral discrimination man is like God. In connection with this, he possesses freedom of will, so that he can of his own volition decide his course of conduct. He is also an intelligent being, possessing a mind capable of almost infinite development, one which easily grasps the mightiest problems within the range of finite environment. Man is also a spiritual being, who naturally looks up to God, “the Father of spirits,” as his author and who is capable of holding sweet converse with his Maker.
As a moral and spiritual being in God’s likeness, man originally was, of necessity, in a state of holiness and purity. According to the Word, he was placed under moral law. To this day men everywhere realize and admit that they are the subjects of moral government, directly responsible to God. This is also the uniform teaching of the Scriptures. But the same Scriptures also teach that the original state of holiness was forfeited by sin; hence in this respect and to this extent the image of God was lost. In the redemption of Christ, however, holiness is regained; therefore, we are restored to the image of God. “Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him” (Col. 3:9-10). (See also Eph. 4:22-24.)

Something that you should read Riv

http://www.acts17-11.com/conviction.html

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 07:47 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

There is not such a thing like free will, just the illusion of it. We think we do everything because of our free will but we fail to see the things that influence us to do what we do because of intransparency in our systems and/or lack of knoledge. Even if we do notice it from time to time, we rather lie to ourselves, convince ourselves that we want it, so we don't have to deal with the consequence of free will.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 09:31 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^Not buying that particular bit of philosophy.

@Stoic
Thanks for the post and link. thumb up

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 12:10 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I still think it's not anyone's business what we do unless our activities are actively endangering someone.

God doesn't even live here, so I really don't feel he should have any say in anything. When we become a threat to the universe itself then he can step in. When I say "here" I mean on the planet, so it's not like I'm saying nobody has a right to say anything about stuff that happens in other parts of the world.

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Old Post Mar 27th, 2016 11:43 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You and i are of like mind, then.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2016 03:46 AM