KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Unknown RPG's

Unknown RPG's
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan

Dragon Quest has never been that popular, it hasn't even surpassed SMT/Persona.

Actually it is that popular in Japan if you bother to look things up

so you're wrong

this from last month

quote:
Square Enix's Dragon Quest is so popular in Japan that main numbered entries have to be launched on Sunday in order for people to keep working on their, er, working days, such is the anticipation before a new game's release.

Square's Final Fantasy is of course immensely popular as well, but whereas it's the best known JRPG overseas, it's usually second to Dragon Quest in its homeland

he...second place for FF.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 01:02 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Nah, FF is still winning in terms of games, tbh.

They have lots of stuff coming out.

Well, the point is that Pokemon and Final Fantasy could even reach a mainstream level of awareness. Admittedly Pokemon isn't famous for being RPG because it doesn't embody the idea of RPGs.

Dragon Quest is frigging big in Japan, I've heard DQ's Creator (Yujii Horii) is more well known than Miyamoto over there. But I know it's an obscure series in the west.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 01:06 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Kazenji
Actually it is that popular in Japan if you bother to look things up

so you're wrong

this from last month

he...second place for FF.
Sorry M8.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 01:08 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Its okay....just be calm about things.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 01:12 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I had no idea what Dragon Quest was until you (Zenji), talked about it in one of my threads.

I wasn't living under a rock, I just had absolutely never heard of it.
erm

And Vagrant Story

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 04:02 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by One Big Mob
erm

And Vagrant Story
I knew what Vagrant Story was.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 04:45 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Not msnu people tslk aboit shining fotce...at least no one I know.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 05:57 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Not msnu people tslk aboit shining fotce...at least no one I know.
What the ****?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 09:14 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Sorry. On my mobile without my contacts. Shining force.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 09:54 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Bentley
So which RPG series would be the most well-known ones in your opinion?

I think Pokemon and Final Fantasy are a given (by this statement I retcon my previous comment saying FF is the most famous RPG series, technically speaking the Pokemans are obviously above them at this point in time).

Pokemon and Final Fantasy are the top of it, with pokemon being much higher in terms of being well known and mainstream.

I don't think anything else really comes close. I mean Dragonquest in it's home market, and SMT in certain markets as well. In terms of sales more recent Bethesda games are likely up there but don't think they come anywhere near the brand recognition.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Feb 8th, 2016 10:50 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

While this very topic seems like a kind of shit and lame way to find out who is the biggest hipster, some RPGs that I don't think are mainstream that I have played:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
LISA: the Painful RPG
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (I still haven't played the prior entries)
Demon's Souls (all right this one is fairly mainstream but it's severely underplayed compared to Dark Souls)
Final Fantasy Tactics (read above, best Final Fantasy is the one with some of the least recognition)

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 01:31 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

If we are counting tactics RPGs the now death series Ogre Battle was pretty damn good.

As it was mentioned before, I'm surprised that more people don't know the Shining series in our day and age. Some other little (retro) gems: Knights of the Nightmare and Riviera (both available for DS/GBA respectively and PS Vita).

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 05:45 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Or even the Disgaea games?

rare to hear people talking about in my part of the world.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 06:02 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Ah yes, Disgaea, haven't played any of them but I have heard interesting stuff. Certainly not the kind of game I'd consider well known.

Some other series that I'd consider popular among RPG fans (but still not on a FF level) is the Tales game series. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are established brands because of their historical relevance. Fire Emblem has established a cult following around the world in the last decade or so. Then you have series such as Ultima or Breath of Fire, which most informed retro gamers would know, but do not belong on the bulk of RPG representatives.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2016 01:58 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by NemeBro
While this very topic seems like a kind of shit and lame way to find out who is the biggest hipster, some RPGs that I don't think are mainstream that I have played:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
LISA: the Painful RPG
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (I still haven't played the prior entries)
Demon's Souls (all right this one is fairly mainstream but it's severely underplayed compared to Dark Souls)
Final Fantasy Tactics (read above, best Final Fantasy is the one with some of the least recognition)
Just gotta bump this by saying, if you've played Divinity II, and the Original Sin games, you owe it to yourself to play the original games: Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, they go on sale a LOT for very cheap and they're awesome games.

Also good for the thread due to being criminally underplayed compared to its younger siblings, so much so to the point that people had no idea the older games even existed when I informed them about em.

Exanima's a great one if you like Gritty, realistic brutal-as-**** combat.

The Gothic series, Overlord?... Maybe.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 06:50 AM
Jmanghan

Thought of a few more but I'll just make it it's own post.

The Last Remnant is one of my favorite underplayed ones.

I've been talking about em lately, so I guess I'll bring up the Way of the Samurai games. They deserve way more love.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a great one.

Legend of Grimrock games, and possibly Brutal Legend...?

Edit: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Popolocrois, Valhalla Knights 1, 2, & 3.

Those games I listed next to the edit came out of the blue for me.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 07:02 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shadow Hearts.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 01:03 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eon Blue
Shadow Hearts.

And SHII: Convenant.

Not III, though.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is just pure fun.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 01:57 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NemeBro

thumb up

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 01:59 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote