KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Black Lives Matter thread

Black Lives Matter thread
Started by: vansonbee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (159): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well they haven't even caught the people behind it yet so we really don't know if what you just said is accurate.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 09:46 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Yeah, I suppose that's true. But if you had to bet...do you think this was a political attack?

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 09:47 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't know, but part of the problem I can see is even if these people were caught and said "it is a political attack" don't you think people would just say they were lying or just say they don't represent the movement?

So it'd be an impossible bet for me to truly win.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 09:53 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
I don't know, but part of the problem I can see is even if these people were caught and said "it is a political attack" don't you think people would just say they were lying or just say they don't represent the movement?

So it'd be an impossible bet for me to truly win.

Oh yeah, I definitely think the vast majority of people in the movement would denounce this disgusting attack, and the known leaders would likely as well, that just makes sense though, like this kind of violence really doesn't fit with the stated goal of the movement.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 09:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: Black Lives Matter topic

The thing is... there's actual organized regular peaceful protests with leaders and representatives, and there's some teens uninvolved with them, doing actions that have nothing to do with the organization's goals, who use the catchphrase because it's something they've latched onto because they're jerks.

quote:

Time-Immemorial
This is just the double standard I am always confirming. It never counts when BLM act like a bunch of hooligans and put people in hospitals.

Meanwhile, the double standard other people try and confront is, "Here's a group with guns and explosives talking violence in response to some very local issues most of which are very much of their own causing and where they're the ones clearly escalating things, here's another group talking and doing peaceful protests in service of a very obviously needed goals that involve lots of people dying regularly and still dying, where there's some rare acts of violence around the edge not by people actually involved in the organized protests, why are you acting like the second is worse than the first?"

The best way to make BLM go away is to hold police more responsible for their acts and do something about the disproportionate heavy responses on black suspects. Because "we get killed and beaten a lot," is something that rather rightly causes a lot of anger, and acting like the whole largely-peaceful movement is a horrible thing because of incidents that are by-far outnumbered by peaceful protest seems to be a double standard.

Heck, it could even be said truthfully, that 'what the BLM movement wants is to be treated like the Bundy's got, with attempts at negotiation and waiting them out and the police actively trying to avoid escalation.'

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 01:25 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

For me they definitely shouldn't be treated like the Bundy's. Though let me say I don't think anyone should of been treated like them. I think it was utterly disgusting what they were allowed to get away with. I actually agreed with them being pissed over the government f*cking up the prison sentences and not noticing for nearly a decade, and I feel that is worthy of a peaceful protest, but I think it is disgusting that the cops didn't even seal off the place. They let some people come and go from that building as they pleased. Hell the one guy that was killed was killed at a friggin traffic stop I think.

But anyways I don't think the entire movement is a horrible thing. I do wish that in addition to focusing on the problems police brutality causes to the community they would focus on the problems that spawn from within the community as well. Black lives do matter and you have plenty of blacks out there that are snuffing out the lives of these people the movement says matter. Now when I say "they snuff out the lives of people they say matter" it doesn't mean I disagree that those people matter, just that there is a lot of brutality from non whites.

I know the automatic response is usually that one way to fix some problems is to tackle police brutality and I will say it again as I've said before I don't have an issue with going after that. My issue is if you only go after that. Why not designate different groups within the movement to tackle different issues? For instance we have an epidemic of gang violence in some cities, including Chicago where I live.

I acknowledge that people are right when they say there aren't always easy solutions to problems, so again I just want it to be crystal clear I am all for going after police corruption and brutality. I am all for just protesting any blatant racism even if it doesn't come from law enforcement. I am all for seeking justice against cops that legitimately inflict harm or death on someone without a valid reason.

If it were up to me I'd put a body cam on every single cop and I'd execute any cop that kills unjustly. The reason I mention the body cam is because hopefully a video of the unjust kill would be enough evidence to make the execution go through quickly. They wouldn't wallow away in prison for years or even months. But I digress, fighting police brutality isn't going to make the gangs go away. It's not going to stop an innocent kid from getting accidentally killed in the crossfire between gangs. Even when it comes to people in the community helping the police catch the killers..I feel even if the police earned their trust the issue would be that they might trust the cops, but they wouldn't trust the gang members IMO. Especially if they threaten their family.

I guess what I'm saying is I have no problem with peaceful protest, my only problem is I wish they'd branch out on the topics they tackle. I know some might be thinking "but wait you had a problem with that protest in the library". Well yeah, but to me it wasn't truly peaceful. It was non-violent, but that doesn't necessarily translate into peaceful. So I just wanted to clear that up.

Another issue I can see though is it seems that pretty much anyone that wants to do so can claim they rep the movement.

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 19th, 2016 at 02:21 AM

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 02:18 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I think that the BLM movement should focus more internally to fix their problems rather than looking at external factors as the sole cause of their perceived issues.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2016 11:59 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by socool8520
I think that the BLM movement should focus more internally to fix their problems rather than looking at external factors as the sole cause of their perceived issues.

That is my issue in a nutshell. Maybe it's different for me because I live in a city with a shitload of gang violence. Just today I was driving and I passed by people passing out some fliers, do you want to know what the fliers were about?

I shall tell you: like 7 years ago some gang bangers beat a 13 yr. old to death. Here we are 7 years later and nobody has ever been caught. Justice has not been served, and you will notice that is the same reason the blacks tend to protest when a cop or otherwise just a white person kills a black guy, justice wasn't served.

But unfortunately for the dead 13 yr. old his death is overshadowed by the more recent child murder by gang bangers, Tyshawn Lee. I admit I do have trouble keeping track of all the kids murdered by gang bangers in this city.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2016 05:52 PM
vansonbee
Isee

It looks like the KKK has the right to protest, but liberals are counter protesting by stabbing and starting fights. What you guys think? Their freedom of speech is denied?

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 08:29 AM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by NemeBro
There was this one guy who was something of a sexual predator to some younger members.

That sure is a Quandary of a situation to deal with.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 10:20 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
80sBaby
The Kid

Originally posted by vansonbee
It looks like the KKK has the right to protest, but liberals are counter protesting by stabbing and starting fights. What you guys think? Their freedom of speech is denied?

The Klan were the ones doing the stabbing.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 12:42 PM
80sBaby is currently offline Click here to Send 80sBaby a Private Message Find more posts by 80sBaby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Always suspected you were a Klan sympathizer.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 02:14 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Since when do you have to be a liberal to oppose the KKK?

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 05:51 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vansonbee
Isee

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I don't care what you think! I'm Asian American and my views are base on equality. If terrorist groups like BLM can protest, it also applies to KKK. You understand me hater?

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 06:03 PM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't know if I'd support stabbing a KKK member..unless they do something to instigate violence first. I would support kicks to the nuts for KKK members.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 06:32 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Omega Vision

IMO, he's more of "anything that's against black people" sympathizer, just happens to be the KKK in this instance. Tomorrow, who knows.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 29th, 2016 07:13 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

White people who don't understand the reasons behind the BLM movement should read Claudia Rankine's "Citizen."

It very gently and earnestly explains how being black in America means being ignored, feared, and treated awkwardly by huge swathes of otherwise decent (and less decent) people.

There's one bit that's particularly powerful:

"Because white men can't
police their imagination
black men are dying."

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 03:25 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

They're terrorists.

Terrorists don't have the right to speak.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 03:34 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Mindset
They're terrorists.

Terrorists don't have the right to speak.

No, they're not. They'd be in jail otherwise.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:26 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
No, they're not. They'd be in jail otherwise.
They were founded as a terror group and have committed acts of terrorism.

What would you call them?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:43 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote