KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Black Lives Matter thread

Black Lives Matter thread
Started by: vansonbee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (159): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vansonbee
I don't care what you think! I'm Asian American and my views are base on equality. If terrorist groups like BLM can protest, it also applies to KKK. You understand me hater?
Well at least you aren't shy about letting us know that you're a complete idiot.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:45 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Mindset
They were founded as a terror group and have committed acts of terrorism.

What would you call them?

Yes, they were founded as a terrorist group, but today's Klan isn't the same Klan that was founded in the 19th century. Not to mention, there are a bunch of different chapters. In the end, they have a right to hold rallies and express their views as long as they're not doing anything illegal.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 07:05 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Originally posted by Omega Vision
White people who don't understand the reasons behind the BLM movement should read Claudia Rankine's "Citizen."

It very gently and earnestly explains how being black in America means being ignored, feared, and treated awkwardly by huge swathes of otherwise decent (and less decent) people.

There's one bit that's particularly powerful:

"Because white men can't
police their imagination
black men are dying."

are you white?
were most of your neighbors white?
how much did your parents make?
were your parents together your entire life?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 07:33 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

people. stop supporting the klan. they've changed as much as the democrats have since LBJ.

oops

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 07:34 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Because white men can't
police their imagination
black men are dying."

But they are also dying, in record numbers that surpass the numbers killed by whites, at the hands of their own kind. The same kind they say matter.

If black lives matter shouldn't they begin acting like it? Maybe it's time for them to set the example. Instead of the hypocrisy we see now where they only matter if a white man is involved, and then we run the gamut of excuses as to why they only focus on that. It's almost like the movie Groundhog Day.

Isn't that the harsh reality here nobody wants to say? That some people do not care as much because these people are just killing each other off anyways with gang violence?

It is like if I have a young son and I'm lecturing him on the dangers of alcoholism whilst injecting alcohol straight into my veins with a syringe. Kind of takes the oomph out of what I'm saying, correct? I don't want to be lectured about how these lives matter when they are slaughtering each other in the streets daily and no: they are not doing that because of the police or because of white privilege or because of racism.

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 4th, 2016 at 01:43 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 01:38 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Surtur
But they are also dying, in record numbers that surpass the numbers killed by whites, at the hands of their own kind. The same kind they say matter.

If black lives matter shouldn't they begin acting like it? Maybe it's time for them to set the example. Instead of the hypocrisy we see now where they only matter if a white man is involved, and then we run the gamut of excuses as to why they only focus on that. It's almost like the movie Groundhog Day.

Isn't that the harsh reality here nobody wants to say? That some people do not care as much because these people are just killing each other off anyways with gang violence?

It is like if I have a young son and I'm lecturing him on the dangers of alcoholism whilst injecting alcohol straight into my veins with a syringe. Kind of takes the oomph out of what I'm saying, correct? I don't want to be lectured about how these lives matter when they are slaughtering each other in the streets daily and no: they are not doing that because of the police or because of white privilege or because of racism.

Once again, gang violence and the issues BLM are concerned with are apples and oranges. Stop harping on this and actually engage the subject at hand.

You act like black people don't care about stopping gang violence, when they do. But they also care about the violence they face from people who are supposed to protect them. Gangsters are under no obligation to be good or accountable, police are. It's idiotic to act like BLM people should ignore police brutality just because gang violence exists.

The difference between your alcohol example and the supposed hypocrisy you're talking about is that in your example YOU'RE the one doing it. The BLM protesters aren't the gangsters killing people. You must be smart enough to see that distinction. Trying to ascribe blame to them is a bit twisted.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Mar 4th, 2016 at 02:54 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 02:43 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Raisen
are you white?
were most of your neighbors white?
how much did your parents make?
were your parents together your entire life?

Yes
For most of my life, but now I live in a Haitian neighborhood
None of your business
Yes

All this is irrelevant to what I was saying.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 02:46 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

There's one bit that's particularly powerful:

"Because white men can't
police their imagination
black men are dying."

TBH That quote makes no sense.... If that's the a powerful bit, it speaks volumes of the work itself.

Last edited by Stigma on Mar 4th, 2016 at 03:22 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 03:16 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Once again, gang violence and the issues BLM are concerned with are apples and oranges. Stop harping on this and actually engage the subject at hand.

I'd stop harping on it if they started to harp on it as much as they harp about cops.

quote:
You act like black people don't care about stopping gang violence, when they do. But they also care about the violence they face from people who are supposed to protect them. Gangsters are under no obligation to be good or accountable, police are. It's idiotic to act like BLM people should ignore police brutality just because gang violence exists.

Nobody said ignore police brutality. What is being said is start caring more about the deaths that occur more often. What happens more, in your opinion? Cops kill innocent black man, or black man murders another black man because gangs and shit? How many innocent little children are killed by cops as opposed to gang bangers?

quote:
The difference between your alcohol example and the supposed hypocrisy you're talking about is that in your example YOU'RE the one doing it. The BLM protesters aren't the gangsters killing people. You must be smart enough to see that distinction. Trying to ascribe blame to them is a bit twisted.

It's true they aren't the gangsters, but they are the ones screaming about how these lives matter. Well, it's time to focus on the people who take the most lives, those same lives they say matter.

I guess my thing is I've never once seen an obnoxious protest over gang violence. I see obnoxious BLM protests though. Why is this? Why is it for one issue they will obnoxiously storm into restaurants and libraries and all that, but for the other one they kind of stand on the side of the road holding signs as people drive by? Why don't they storm restaurants over dead little children? It'd be a nice change of pace.

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 4th, 2016 at 05:18 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

I think what Surtur is trying to say is that if Black Lives Matter, ppl should protest and strive/push for change to make black lives matter to everyone relevant, not just to the white ppl.

His idea isn't that bad, either (IMO). I mean if they dedicate all this energy to instead push programs in the long term (not an expert on these things but maybe better funding for educational programs in the ghetto?) that can reduce gang violence, they could get better results. As it is, they just end up with racial polarization. Less gang violence would mean less trigger happy paranoid cops. I dunno, sounds like a win-win. Treat the root cause and not the symptom, I always say.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:31 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yep that is my thing. I will never say police brutality doesn't exist. But it's not the biggest problem. It's like if you find out you have Aids and then you fall down and scrape your knee and you decide to focus on your scraped knee and just kind of push the whole "I got aids" thing to the back burner. Even though that is the thing more likely to kill you, not the scraped knee.

A cop isn't more likely to kill you, especially if you've done NOTHING wrong. An innocent person is far more likely to be gunned down in the street by..you guessed it, not a cop, but some gang banger. I want consistency, I want just as much outrage as we see over cops when it comes to gang violence as well, and we do not see as much outrage despite the gangs being the main thing bringing the communities down.

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 4th, 2016 at 05:39 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:37 PM
Raisen

Yes
For most of my life, but now I live in a Haitian neighborhood
None of your business
Yes

All this is irrelevant to what I was saying.

you have no ****ing clue what the reality of this is then

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:38 PM
Raisen

there is no systemic killing of blacks in this country. its simply hype. the vast majority of these shootings wouldn't happen if people simply followed police orders, didn't wave around replica guns, didn't make furtitive gestures etc.

i've had plenty of encounters with the police. we had community pay phones in one of the particular hell holes i grew up in. i remember wearing my brothers clothes(not good, too baggy and made me look affiliated) and walking to the pay phone when the gang unit came rolling over a curb. they drive in a very aggressive manner through the neighborhood and this time it caught me off guard. i jerked to the right because i thought i would get ran over and the stopped me and cuffed me. searched me. threw me in the back of the car. they were real asses honestly. one of the local kids got my dad and then they changed their tune. they said i moved in a furtitive gesture.

i don't agree with this but as i got older i understood that these cops face a high level of danger and no matter how hard you train you will never be able to turn of the natural fight or flight response. just as i learned in the military; these things change you.

i had numerous encounters but i never was arrested because i never did anything wrong. it sucks, but it's part of life in a dangerous neighborhood. if you never lived there you can never understand and see that most of the people in those neighborhoods resist like crazy and aren't compliant with me.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:48 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

That is my motto with cops: do what they say. If they tell you to put your god damn cigarette out then you put it out. If they tell you to get out of your vehicle then get the f*ck out of the god damn car. If you think you are being treated unfairly then you can report it later on instead of trying to mess with the cop or be rude or just try to resist. Just don't do it. Do what you are told and do not try to flee.

Especially since more and more cops are getting body cams..just do what they say, within reason. If they're asking you to sacrifice your first born child then okay that is one thing, but if they are just asking you to comply with orders then do it.

You lose not a god damn thing from cooperating.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:52 PM
Raisen

That is my motto with cops: do what they say. If they tell you to put your god damn cigarette out then you put it out. If they tell you to get out of your vehicle then get the f*ck out of the god damn car. If you think you are being treated unfairly then you can report it later on instead of trying to mess with the cop or be rude or just try to resist. Just don't do it. Do what you are told and do not try to flee.

Especially since more and more cops are getting body cams..just do what they say, within reason. If they're asking you to sacrifice your first born child then okay that is one thing, but if they are just asking you to comply with orders then do it.

focus on the neighborhood problems and the cops will change.
cops have a damned good reason to be this aggressive. some cops are scum bags but most of them just want to be alive at the end of the day

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 05:56 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Raisen
there is no systemic killing of blacks in this country. its simply hype. the vast majority of these shootings wouldn't happen if people simply followed police orders, didn't wave around replica guns, didn't make furtitive gestures etc.

i've had plenty of encounters with the police. we had community pay phones in one of the particular hell holes i grew up in. i remember wearing my brothers clothes(not good, too baggy and made me look affiliated) and walking to the pay phone when the gang unit came rolling over a curb. they drive in a very aggressive manner through the neighborhood and this time it caught me off guard. i jerked to the right because i thought i would get ran over and the stopped me and cuffed me. searched me. threw me in the back of the car. they were real asses honestly. one of the local kids got my dad and then they changed their tune. they said i moved in a furtitive gesture.

i don't agree with this but as i got older i understood that these cops face a high level of danger and no matter how hard you train you will never be able to turn of the natural fight or flight response. just as i learned in the military; these things change you.

i had numerous encounters but i never was arrested because i never did anything wrong. it sucks, but it's part of life in a dangerous neighborhood. if you never lived there you can never understand and see that most of the people in those neighborhoods resist like crazy and aren't compliant with me.

Yeah, that's the thing. While cops should be far more professional and held up to a much higher standard than they are now, in the end they've seen hundreds of perps that look like that and they're gonna be twitchy and presumptive.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 06:01 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

If they give you a "rough ride" that breaks your spine, let them break your spine.
If they kill you in police custody say "thank you, sir" and die.

Got it

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 06:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Bardock42
If they give you a "rough ride" that breaks your spine, let them break your spine.

Got it

Oh man.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 06:03 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Bardock42

Got it

Yeah, shit like this is completely unacceptable and needs to stop. Cops who do this should be charged with 1st degree murder.

Still, you can't really resist it, can you?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 06:07 PM
Raisen

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Yeah, shit like this is completely unacceptable and needs to stop. Cops who do this should be charged with 1st degree murder.

Still, you can't really resist it, can you?

yeah, but these cops will always exist because of the allure of the job. they get screened well but there will always be psychos. it's not wide-scale tho

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 06:09 PM