KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » DC: Rebirth

DC: Rebirth
Started by: Zack M

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

BTW, here are the sales figures I got from CBR.

quote:
015 update:

DC Sales - Top 300 for 2015

2015 - 24,387,995 estimated units
2014 - 26,836,455 estimated units
2013 - 28,184,085 estimated units
2012 - 29,602,125 estimated units
2011 - 26,522,201 estimated units
2010 - 23,528,000 estimated units
2009 - 24,126,336 estimated units
2008 - 25,760,378 estimated units
2007 - 29,597,217 estimated units
2006 - 30,243,575 estimated units
2005 - 26,995,698 estimated units
2004 - 23,895,322 estimated units
2003 - 22,344,120 estimated units
2002 - 20,687,488 estimated units - Dan Didio joins DC as VP of Editorial.
2001 - 21,220,332 estimated units
2000 - 23,243,656 estimated units
1999 - 25,141,760 estimated units
1998 - 22,869,060 estimated units
1997 - 26,323,968 estimated units

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2016 06:14 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Good info. And to add to that, not only have sales been dropping, but everyone else- Marvel, Image, and the indie section in general- have been expanding.

So sales-wise, they're near pre reboot level, around when Brightest Day was their big thing, but proportionally, they're further behind than they were then.

And '06-07 were really good years, weren't they? Infinite Crisis, 52.... 52 alone has got to make up a big chunk of that. Then you get the huge falloff in '08 as Countdown, and similar take center stage and the decline that lead to the reboot.

I am pretty curious what changed at that point, it felt like two different creative directions.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack M
Most of DC's smaller, obscure characters have never sold all that well in the past. I don't expect Terry to be any different.

Well, exactly. If you're doing a big relaunch where a limited amount of titles is a thing, any smaller character seems odd to me, unless they're grouped together or given some other hook to boost sales.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2016 12:53 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Yeah, thanks to constant relaunching and Star Wars, not to mention Secret Wars. Without that, Marvel is only doing slightly better. Sales has been dropping for Marvel titles, though as with the Bleedingcool article that was posted earlier this month.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2016 01:21 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Yeah, thanks to constant relaunching and Star Wars, not to mention Secret Wars. Without that, Marvel is only doing slightly better. Sales has been dropping for Marvel titles, though as with the Bleedingcool article that was posted earlier this month.

But they do have that super-selling line, that high selling event, and they've shown the 'seasonal relaunch' method works pretty well long-term or at least medium term, I think it's been their model for something like 6 years now. So I think 'without that,' is being a bit ungenerous.

I mean, DC changed directions massively with a lot of their books mid-run when the creative team changed, doing re-launches then frankly would've made sense.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2016 02:17 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

But their sales did dip in 2014, which is probably why they did the whole relaunching last year. Supposedly it pissed a bunch of people off and the reason why the sales go right back down to what they once were. The same thing will probably happen a few months after Rebirth.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2016 02:27 AM
Q99

But their sales did dip in 2014, which is probably why they did the whole relaunching last year. Supposedly it pissed a bunch of people off and the reason why the sales go right back down to what they once were. The same thing will probably happen a few months after Rebirth.

Marvel's got a history of rolling status quo- and doing Secret Wars instead of another one of those was probably a bit of a mistake. Still, going back to where they were is not nearly as big a problem as DC going back to their lower sales.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2016 01:27 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Q99
Marvel's got a history of rolling status quo- and doing Secret Wars instead of another one of those was probably a bit of a mistake. Still, going back to where they were is not nearly as big a problem as DC going back to their lower sales.

I think that's why they lose readers. Most people that i speak with are tired of the constant events. And now it's going to be CW part 2. I'm glad I didn't read most of SW. It was, for the most part, garbage.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2016 08:46 PM
Q99

I think that's why they lose readers. Most people that i speak with are tired of the constant events. And now it's going to be CW part 2. I'm glad I didn't read most of SW. It was, for the most part, garbage.

The thing is, while readers do suffer some event fatigue... the event era in general has been quite successful. I don't think so much for the events themselves, but the 'have a new status quo that lasts a year to two years, then change it,' is a good way to both retain continuity and keep things fresh.

And Marvel's usually pretty good at having some comics out of any particular event.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2016 09:23 PM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

What do you guys think about The Killing Joke "retcon".

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 08:39 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

What happened?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 08:43 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

As with everything that goes on in comics, rabid feminists' pressure eventually got to even the best of stories.

Originally posted by -Pr-
What happened?
They retconned it as false memories implaneted by a villain, afaik. I haven't read the comic.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 08:52 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

laughing out loud

What a worthless thing to write

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 08:55 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Philosophía
As with everything that goes on in comics, rabid feminists' pressure eventually got to even the best of stories.

They retconned it as false memories implaneted by a villain, afaik. I haven't read the comic.

...A part of me really wants to rant about such an anti-woman, sexist decision, but surely it isn't as bad as I think it is.

Tell me it isn't?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 09:17 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by -Pr-
...A part of me really wants to rant about such an anti-woman, sexist decision, but surely it isn't as bad as I think it is.

Tell me it isn't?
It is as bad as you think.

This is the Batgirl artist's twitter:
https://twitter.com/babsdraws

Her name is Babs Tarr.
As you guessed, she's a woman.

This is the first thing she posted after the comic was released:
(please log in to view the image)

People really don't realise the magnitude of what is happening right now.

The SJWs are literally taking control of what should and should not count and be written/drawn.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Mar 11th, 2016 at 09:27 PM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 09:24 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Philosophía
It is as bad as you think.

This is the Batgirl artist's twitter:
https://twitter.com/babsdraws

Her name is Babs Tarr.
As you guessed, she's a woman.

This is the first thing she posted after the comic was released:
(please log in to view the image)

People really don't realise the magnitude of what is happening right now.

The SJWs are literally taking control of what should and should not count and be written/drawn.

So how was Barbara paralysed then?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 10:03 PM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

The writer kind of left it a little open ended according to his Twitter. But I haven't read the comic either. So it may not be entirely retconned, I guess.

But, just the idea of retconning a legendary comic like that just because SJWs don't like it is absolutely infuriating.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 10:58 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The writer kind of left it a little open ended according to his Twitter. But I haven't read the comic either. So it may not be entirely retconned, I guess.

But, just the idea of retconning a legendary comic like that just because SJWs don't like it is absolutely infuriating.

It's ****ing stupid as well.

She has one of the best "overcoming adversity" arcs of any female character in comics. Not to mention how far DC pushed the envelope with the original story (which had stuff cut from it because the original intent was far more graphic).

It's a seminal book in both Batman and comics, and to have them remove it like this... FFS.

I at least hope this doesn't hurt the development of the movie.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 11th, 2016 11:41 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 12th, 2016 at 12:16 AM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2016 12:13 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Wait... It got only a couple of panels?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 12th, 2016 12:23 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The Killing Joke itself? Yep.

At least it got a few panels, though. They retconned COIE off-panel, ffs.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 12th, 2016 12:42 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote