KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Iron Fist (Netflix)

Iron Fist (Netflix)
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I finished watching it, and tbh, towards the end I started to not like it as much as I did at the start of the season. Plot spoilers to follow:

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The fights are great, first of all. they're almost all done pretty well, and Danny looks far more competent than he did in season one. Davos is an interesting villain, written well enough that you can see how much his cause has overwhelmed him. Misty was great as always.

What I didn't like, or would have changed, was Danny himself. It's not the fault of the actor, but rather the writing. The cool, centered Danny we were shown in that episode of Luke Cage is nowhere to be seen, and instead he's written very much like Luke, that "uncertain of himself male protagonist that has a wise, insightful female character to keep him on point" cliché rearing it's head again. It's not the only way to write interesting, flawed characters, but it seems to be one I see more and more shows falling back on.

And it wasn't just Danny either; Ward was even more of a mess, though I hope by the end of the season his journey has come to a point where he's now a less messed-up character. I really don't like how they handled the baby thing, though. It's his kid too, and she's telling him to piss off.

Joy was cartoonishly evil at times, but they reined it in by the end, which saved her somewhat.

Mary... I was disappointed, tbh. She's interesting enough, and Alice Eve is great, but their version of her in comparison to the comics... Eh. Maybe if she comes back, they'll do more with her.

Giving Colleen the power by the end was an interesting twist, and it freed up Danny to do what he's doing now.

All in all, I liked the season a lot more than I did season one. Better characters even with my complaints, I felt, and only ten episodes helped make sure there was much less filler than there could be.

It also occurred to me while I was watching it that I wouldn't mind watching a show centered around Colleen and Misty themselves, maybe as a sister show to a Luke and Danny one that would eventually culiminate with all four of them doing their thing in a Heroes for Hire show.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 07:33 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

IMO, we need Power Man & Iron Fist and Daughters of the Dragon seasons. But not the full 13 episode shtick. Or 10, really. Even tight, 6-part miniseries could be good. The respective pairs have very good onscreen chemistry, which often makes the scenes they share some of the highlights of these shows. One of my favourite moments in all the Marvel Netflix shows is still the first time Danny met Luke in The Defenders. I still chuckle when I watch that fight.

One thing I am sure some people will be pleased with is the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: ending with Danny and Ward. For a minute, I thought they were just going to make Colleen the Iron Fist, and then boot Danny off to some obscure part of Asia, never to be mentioned again. But not only is it not even remotely that, and that we're actually seemingly getting a much deeper look into the Iron Fist history in S3, as well as getting Orson Randall, but it also means more locations other than fights in warehouses and back alleys. A big criticism that has arisen with these shows is that the action locations have remained pretty much the same across all the shows, across all the seasons. Dimly lit rooms and side streets.

And on a completely random note, I kind of like the dynamic IF Colleen gives her pairing with Misty too. One has a mystical mean right hook, the other has a mechanical mean right hook.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 12th, 2018 at 08:23 AM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:17 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

When they gonna bring on the Prince of Orphans.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 09:04 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I swear to god I'm the only person who liked the first season. I thought it was a lot of fun. Still need to finish the second season of JJ and Luke Cage before starting this. Very happy to see that they lowered the number of episodes, hope the other series follow suit.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 09:07 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
I swear to god I'm the only person who liked the first season. I thought it was a lot of fun.

Nah I enjoyed it as well.

Didnt watch it for ages because I was expecting compete trash, so was pretty surprised when I began watching it and assumed it would turn into trash the next episode. But that never really happened.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2018 11:06 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I found s1 more lackluster than necessarily bad. As I have said in the past, I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as the critics made it out to be.

On the plus side for you guys, seeing as the general consensus has been that s2 improves on s1, if you did like the first one, you will probably like the new season as well.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2018 05:12 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

Originally posted by Darth Thor

Didnt watch it for ages because I was expecting compete trash, so was pretty surprised when I began watching it and assumed it would turn into trash the next episode. But that never really happened.

Same here

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Sep 14th, 2018 05:57 AM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Two episodes to go.

One real issue I have, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Danny is already an expert martial artist. What does he expect Colleen can show him that mystical Kung Fu monks didn't? It's like Bruce Lee asking for training from Jackie Chan, doesn't add up.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 01:31 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Surtur
When they gonna bring on the Prince of Orphans.

Heck with him, Fat Cobra or bust.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 01:32 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by cdtm
Two episodes to go.

One real issue I have, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Danny is already an expert martial artist. What does he expect Colleen can show him that mystical Kung Fu monks didn't? It's like Bruce Lee asking for training from Jackie Chan, doesn't add up.

Yeah, she [SPOILER - highlight to read]: seemed to function more as a sparring partner than a teacher, TBH. Because I can't recall her actually "teaching" him anything new. Just training with him until he was back to near 100%.

Though that is actually a really good feat for Danny, in terms of toughness. Even with a fancy medical brace, recovering from a shattered leg in like a week or so, to the point where you can not only move but fight at almost peak levels again, is pretty insane.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 04:04 AM
cdtm

Originally posted by Darth Thor

Wasn't trash, but it had issues.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ward as a punching bag is grating. And his sponsor was an incredible ***** at the end.. He bares himself at group, and she uses that against him.

Joy is an even bigger *****. Nothing sympathetic about her in the least, and I wish Walker threw her out the window.

My first reaction to Colleen as Iron Fist, is that Netflix caved in to pressure about a white guy playing the role. Now they have not only an Asian Iron Fist, but a woman!

But honestly, I like where they're going with it. Colleen with the chi sword at home, Danny traveling around like a chi using Indiana Jones with Ward. (And why is he still able to use chi? Is he still connected to the Iron Fist? Why didn't he use it against Davos, then?)

Season 2 was basically just a glorified setup for three, which looks like it should be awesome.

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 21st, 2018 at 04:08 AM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 04:06 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: But honestly, I like where they're going with it. Colleen with the chi sword at home, Danny traveling around like a chi using Indiana Jones with Ward. (And why is he still able to use chi? Is he still connected to the Iron Fist? Why didn't he use it against Davos, then?)

Well, my theory is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Orson Randall's chi is somehow imbued into the pistols Danny and Ward stole from his one warehouse, which is allowing Danny to access the chi despite no longer having a direct connection (and why Orson's men said he wants the guns back). That being said, we are told that a couple of months have passed between Colleen getting the Fist and them being in that bar, so he maybe gained a new connection to IF in the meantime? Either way, it does set up a potentially very interesting Season 3.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 21st, 2018 at 05:03 AM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 05:00 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Eh found it lame as hell that they [SPOILER - highlight to read]: gave Colleen the fist and the reasoning behind it was so forced. Could have had her doing that dumb chi pistol bullshit that looks ridiculously silly. Or charging her sword with chi, Danny should be the IF.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 01:04 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Did they ever explain why Davos had two fists?

I don't remember any.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 02:11 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, we already knew dual-fisting was possible before now. We still see one of the previous Iron Fists do it in that clip from the 1940s in the first season. Maybe [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the process Davos used to steal the Fist gave him extra control/mastery as well, which allowed him to light up both fists from the start.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 05:08 PM
cdtm

Could be.

I guess the post credit scene nix's Danny in the Devil suit. Not much room for that adaptation now.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 05:14 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Speaking of the Devil it has been revealed season 3 of Daredevil is coming October 19th.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 06:52 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yep. I thought it would be November, TBH. I didn't think they'd drop one show only little over a month after another. Not that I am complaining. The sooner the better.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2018 07:06 PM
Darth Thor

Did they ever explain why Davos had two fists?

I don't remember any.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Danny also did in the end scene

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 10:16 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Scrap that. Ive just been explained how [SPOILER - highlight to read]: its the guns that belonged to the previous IF, and the power is in them. I thought Danny found a way to get his powers without the Dragon Tatoo

Old Post Sep 25th, 2018 11:55 AM