KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Iron Fist (Netflix)

Iron Fist (Netflix)
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I enjoyed it as well. And so did most of the people I spoke to. Though, admittedly, I felt like the final villain was a bit underwhelming. Cottonmouth had far more screen presence and charisma than Diamondback did. I initially thought Mariah was crap but, thinking about it, I realised that I hated her because she was such a vile person. Which means the portrayal was actually good for a super unlikable villain (like certain truly hated GoT characters). laughing
I started the show yesterday and am actually enjoying it more than JJ which I thought was just alright. I remember Luke being the best part of that show too (tied with purple man, actually). Dude has great presence.

We'll see if I still think that at the end though. Endings to the seasons of these show are what they live and die by. DD season 2 would have been better than season 1 if it kept up the momentum from the first half. The ending and the entire Hand was weak and held it back. I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Diamondback so far has only been name dropped and everyone seems terrified of him. I'm hoping I disagree with your statement when it's all said and done.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 8th, 2017 05:29 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bny...303CD63FB69116F

Colleen Wing lays the smackdown on two fodder meathead fighters

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 15th, 2017 01:07 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Cottonmouth >>> Diamonback, imo.

But Diamonback was perfect for what he was. (Which is basically what Bushwhacker was in the comics.)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2017 01:34 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 05:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Shou Lao is making an appearance
And apparently the creators of the show made 7 all new

villains for the show as well that he has to fight

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 26th, 2017 06:06 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I see they've managed to harass Finn Jones off Twitter for daring to be a white guy who plays Danny Rand.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 04:22 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I see they've managed to harass Finn Jones off Twitter for daring to be a white guy who plays Danny Rand.
Man that's stupid. Coming from me a liberal, it's ridiculous to scream whitewashed at something that depends on being white...

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 04:28 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah, that shit is just getting stupid. I read the most ridiculous article recently, where this guy was going on about how terrible it is that a white guy got cast as Iron Fist. Said the "only" right decision would have been to make him Asian. And said that the only people who disagreed are either diehards or racists.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 04:31 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Wait so the complaint people are having is that Finn Jones was cast instead of an Asian actor? Wouldn't casting an Asian actor for the role be perpetuating a stereotype instead of being progressive? Not to mention that Danny Rand is white but hey the Ancient One is Celtic so that's a thing...right?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 07:39 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Probably from people who are completely ignorant about the character and assume Rand is Asian in the comic-book because it has martial arts and Asian themes. I'd not waste my time with those sorts.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 6th, 2017 07:43 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Wait so the complaint people are having is that Finn Jones was cast instead of an Asian actor? Wouldn't casting an Asian actor for the role be perpetuating a stereotype instead of being progressive? Not to mention that Danny Rand is white but hey the Ancient One is Celtic so that's a thing...right?

Far as I could tell, the argument goes that this is a missed opportunity to cast a minority in a lead role instead of a white guy. Even though in the source it IS a white guy in the lead, they think it makes more sense to change it to an asian guy.

Is that a stereotype? You bet. But between white savior vs typecasting, I guess they side with the typecasting.

Or what Fly said.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2017 03:11 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Robtard
Probably from people who are completely ignorant about the character and assume Rand is Asian in the comic-book because it has martial arts and Asian themes. I'd not waste my time with those sorts.

Sadly, the article I read was from someone who was fully aware of Rand's ethnicity in the comics. Hence why he included "diehards" (as in diehard Iron Fist fans), along with racists, as the only people who could possibly not think that Iron Fist should be Asian in the MCU.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2017 03:37 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Sadly, the article I read was from someone who was fully aware of Rand's ethnicity in the comics. Hence why he included "diehards" (as in diehard Iron Fist fans), along with racists, as the only people who could possibly not think that Iron Fist should be Asian in the MCU.

The fact they don't argue this with Daredevil or Batman proves how underrated Danny really is, sadly.

No one cares about Iron Fist except diehards.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2017 04:05 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah so the reviews of at least the first half of the season seem mixed so far. It's hard to tell how much of it is legit and how much of it boils down to whining because they cast a white man to play a white man.

People call him a white savior, with the implication I guess being that you need to belong to a specific race in order to help out that race.

It would be amusing if at the very end he is about to fight the Big Bad and he is the only one who can defeat him and he just walks away going "sorry, not white enough to help, find yourselves an Asian, maybe that guy Daredevil set on fire, but who came back to life?".

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 12:40 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Hearing bad things. Will keep an open mind though.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2017 07:19 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm hoping it's either just hysteria over the white/asian thing or maybe just the first half of the season begins slow and then it picks up. Since all of the reviews I read had only seen the first 6-7 episodes.

Though I'm guessing the final half of the season will be made available to reviewers before the show comes out Friday.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2017 07:29 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The only potential issues I might have are Finn being incapable of portraying Iron Fist and maybe the "bland" fight scenes.

We'll have to see in a few days.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2017 08:20 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

friday cannot come fast enough

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 13th, 2017 02:22 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Nephthys
Hearing bad things. Will keep an open mind though.

Rocky was panned by critics.

I wouldn't put much stock in their reviews, especially considering nearly every review cites the other shows having problems, but being saved by *insert sjw issue here*.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2017 02:49 AM
ares834

The complaints I've seen seem to primarily be about how slow the show is not IF being white. Considering some of these same people gave Luke Cage positive reviews and their issues with IF is pacing, I've got very little hope for this series as that would suggest IF's pacing is even worse than LC and I though LC's pacing was absolutely terrible.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2017 04:34 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote