KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Iron Fist (Netflix)

Iron Fist (Netflix)
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Getting further along..enjoying it, increasingly wondering if reviewers getting butthurt over the casting allowed that to taint their views of the quality of the series.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
I hate to sound like a broken record... But choreography.
DD was a step in the right direction in making bad guys and heroes seem more than human.

Then along came iron fist.

Speaking of Daredevil, did you know Marvel had the utter audacity to cast a guy who isn't blind..as a blind guy? People Marvel hates:

-Asians
-Asian culture
-Blind people

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 19th, 2017 at 04:27 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 04:24 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

All this garbage isn't out of nowhere, though. The asian actor they turned down complained about it, and that stoked the "controversy".

Would like to know a bit more about what went on behind the scenes there.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 05:48 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by carthage
Holy **** people are wanking the hell out of [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Bakuto and Davos in CV. I guess getting shitcanned by the lead is an impressive feat and in the case of the former nearly losing to his student.

People on CV are prone to riding the hype train when new shows/movies come out, and give those characters more credit than they are due because they are new and shiny.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 05:58 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Its funny how they're saying that given that they casted a Hindu man as Davos, lol. They even recast someone who was White in the comics, so yeah its clearly not an issue of cultural appropriation here

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 06:47 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

almost done..

just 3 more episodes

i like it, just an issue here or there but its nothing to be butthurt about

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 08:03 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I liked seeing the dynamic between Ward and his Dad. Reminds me a bit of Lionel Luthor and Lex from Smallville.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 08:06 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

It completely tripped me out to realize Harold Meachum's actor portrayed Faramir in LOTR

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 09:30 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Four episodes in and I'm enjoying it. I feel it's far better then Luke Cage so far. My biggest problem was Danny being an absolute idiot in the first two episodes.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 12:20 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'm on episode 8 and so far Danny is the worst thing in the series by far.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 12:41 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Its funny how they're saying that given that they casted a Hindu man as Davos, lol. They even recast someone who was White in the comics, so yeah its clearly not an issue of cultural appropriation here

I'm not even bothering to click on articles that are spreading this cultural appropriation bullcrap. Danny Rand has been around for 45 years and as soon as he debuts in live action they get high and mighty. They probably think Hawkeye from The Last Of The Mohicans should be a full blooded Indian, when being an outsider is what defines the character. Being a martial artist isn't the sole domain of Asian characters. And then they turn around and complain when Asian martial artists how up and say it's a tired cliche, too.

I'm nearly through the season. It's a solid show, but it's 5th best of the five Marvel Netflix shows thus far. Danny's naive act was kind of annoying in the beginning, but it is true to being a fish out of water in the corporate world.

Just wait until the fight with the drunken master...
big grin

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 01:16 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

^^^^ thumb up thumb up

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 01:25 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Zhou was really ****ing skilled. Danny fought a far more diverse array of fighters than Matt did, but still Im hesitant to say he's all that much more skilled. The Chi ability tips the balance though and he's likely the most powerful Defender. I'm so hyped for Defenders June needs to hurry the **** up and get here.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 03:19 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Zhou was really ****ing skilled. Danny fought a far more diverse array of fighters than Matt did, but still Im hesitant to say he's all that much more skilled. The Chi ability tips the balance though and he's likely the most powerful Defender. I'm so hyped for Defenders June needs to hurry the **** up and get here.

I still put Luke as the most powerful overall. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Iron Fist is great and all, but Danny only uses it like once or twice in a fight, and not even every fight, and rarely right at the beginning. He has to focus to give himself super strong punches. On the flip side, Luke has to focus not to hit too hard and kill anyone. Plus, I don't see Danny taking a bazooka, followed by a building falling on him, as well as Luke did.

They should be a pretty solid team though. Got a good mix of muscle, skill, and some more exotic abilities, like DD's senses and Danny's [SPOILER - highlight to read]: newfound ability to heal people to make them a formidable group. Now someone just needs to teach Jessica how to fight better. If she had to develop some proper fighting skills, she'd be extremely dangerous.

On a random note, rewatched his fight with [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the Drunken Fist guy. Noticed they were actually using a stunt-double for Danny during bits of that fight. The hoodie hides it for the most part, but some camera angles allow you to see that it was not Finn Jones doing some of the moves. No wonder that fight looked better than most of the others.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Mar 20th, 2017 at 05:47 AM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 05:41 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
random letters

I'm 11 episodes in... and the best word I can find for the show is "mediocre." It's not unwatchable by any means or else I wouldn't have gotten this far, but it's just underwhelming.

The fight scenes are absolutely horrible though considering that this is a martial arts/kung fu series. Everything is just bad--the choreography, the editing, the sound effects, and especially the actors. Nothing about Finn Jones suggests that he had 15 years of intense mental and physical training. Instead, he moves and and looks exactly like what he is, a skinny guy who spent a month in the gym. You don't have to be a martial artist to look like one on film, but you do need to be athletic and well-coordinated. The actor is neither. Honestly, he moves about as well as the actress who plays Jessica Jones.

I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to cast him. He was underwhelming as Loras as well. It's like the cast directors thought, "Gay guy. That means we should cast the sissiest looking guy available. Nevermind that Loras is supposed to be a badass knight." For Iron Fist, it's like they just looked for a blond white guy who wouldn't be too expensive to hire.

Last edited by random letters on Mar 20th, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 11:44 AM
random letters is currently offline Click here to Send random letters a Private Message Find more posts by random letters Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Might not be more skilled than Matt, but in a fight all Danny would need is a single solid hit with the IF.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 02:39 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by random letters
I'm 11 episodes in... and the best word I can find for the show is "mediocre." It's not unwatchable by any means or else I wouldn't have gotten this far, but it's just underwhelming.

The fight scenes are absolutely horrible though considering that this is a martial arts/kung fu series. Everything is just bad--the choreography, the editing, the sound effects, and especially the actors. Nothing about Finn Jones suggests that he had 15 years of intense mental and physical training. Instead, he moves and and looks exactly like what he is, a skinny guy who spent a month in the gym. You don't have to be a martial artist to look like one on film, but you do need to be athletic and well-coordinated. The actor is neither. Honestly, he moves about as well as the actress who plays Jessica Jones.

I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to cast him. He was underwhelming as Loras as well. It's like the cast directors thought, "Gay guy. That means we should cast the sissiest looking guy available. Nevermind that Loras is supposed to be a badass knight." For Iron Fist, it's like they just looked for a blond white guy who wouldn't be too expensive to hire.

Probably thought he was a better fit for the cbaracter.

Which honestly, he's nailed. You can find plenty of athletic, tough looking white guys, but the problem is none of them have that Danny quirky personality.

Just read current Power Man and Iron Fist. Stereotypical baddass, martial artist he ain't.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 02:44 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Nephthys
I'm on episode 8 and so far Danny is the worst thing in the series by far.

Think I'm on 6 and I have to agree, this show is stumbling hard and weak lead is a main reason.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 04:19 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Its unfortunate to hear that this show isn't turning out to be all that great. Well there is still the Defenders to look forward to I suppose.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 05:47 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Its unfortunate to hear that this show isn't turning out to be all that great. Well there is still the Defenders to look forward to I suppose.

A couple of opinions.

A few others seem to like him.

Me, it was a rough start but he's grown on me after the second episode.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 06:28 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka

The terrible reviews are complete overreactions.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Mar 20th, 2017 06:30 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote