KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Iron Fist (Netflix)

Iron Fist (Netflix)
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
random letters

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Firefly218
He pretty much stole the show and would've been 100X the better Iron Fist. You can still accomplish the outsider storyline by casting an Asian as Danny Rand. Finn Jones is pretty much the weak link of this show, his performance yields a character that has no resonance or believability.

The guy can actually move pretty well and had more screen presence than practically any of the leads. I'm surprised that they didn't give him a bigger role. Maybe they should've made him Steel Serpent.

Anyways, if they were going to make Danny Asian though, might as well just turn him into Shang Chi. Better character in my opinion anyways, despite (or because of) the fact that he's basically a Bruce Lee clone.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 05:47 AM
random letters is currently offline Click here to Send random letters a Private Message Find more posts by random letters Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Surtur
Some aspects of this series I can't help laughing at. The lame excuses they have to shove Claire into the storyline. Her saying "sweet Christmas", trying way too hard at times by dropping that line.

Yeah, that felt extremely forced. I felt that Gao name-dropping Luke and DD, the letter from Luke, and the shirt with holes in it, as well as Joy mentioning the female PI who was "worth every penny when she wasn't drunk" were far better references to the other Defenders than that.

Also, according to Finn Jones, they only showed him how to do some of the moves like 15 minutes before they actually shot the scenes. No wonder he looked so awkward most of the time.

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...ts-fight-scenes

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 06:27 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 06:22 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like the character of Davos for some reason.

Though I couldn't help thinking about why Danny wanted to be the IF? Surely they told him the way into "heaven" is only open every so often. So he knew there would be a time he could leave, but he decides to specifically compete for a role that means you *never* leave. But then once he gets it he just randomly leaves the first chance he gets without telling anyone?

I mean, if you're willing to fight a dragon for the right to guard some entrance, it seems weird to just suddenly up and leave without saying anything.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 05:11 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Well, he didn't just randomly leave. He was meditating looking for direction and a falcon came through the opening showing that the way to Earth was open so he took that as a sign/omen he was supposed to take the path home. I think they showed that same falcon flying to Rand Tower in the finale just before he decided he needed to go back to K'un Lun with Colleen.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 05:30 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

Originally posted by MF DELPH
Nah, I think the issue is that for Danny/Iron Fist in particular (as per the narrative of the show) he's overly naive and trusting because he was raised in 'Heaven'. It's not just that he lost his guardians and is dealing with survivor's guilt/ptsd and ran around learning martial arts to become a vigilante like Batman, he also lost his connection to modern society and it's customs/conventions and was indoctrinated into an otherworldly society where duty, honor, and honesty is always the expectation. Because of this he assumed the Meachum's would welcome him with open arms and have his best interests at heart because they were childhood friends. He also assumed that there was a strict code of conduct in a dojo as shown when he struck Colleen's student because that's what he was accustomed to from life in K'un Lun.

Nah I dont buy that. Kun Lun was never heaven. If anything it was a realm of dichotomy. Cultivating peace (as a way of strengthening the chi) but at the same time expect pain both physical and emotional as a way of growth. Again with these thing as a daily regiment his instinctive nature should've been heightened to any situation. Davos was raised in the same society(For Longer, mind you) and he displayed more wits and instinct to the real world, not to mention Danny actually grew up in the real world where he already experience people's ugly tendency per narrative. PTSD would be a great cop out but we've had characters that had similar experience and never looked as inadequate as this guy. Which brings me back to the performance. If there was the slightest of bit of conviction in his performance, a lot of the problem may have been saved. I've never seen a show where I was actually looking forward to supporting characters rather than the lead.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 05:44 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by MF DELPH
Well, he didn't just randomly leave. He was meditating looking for direction and a falcon came through the opening showing that the way to Earth was open so he took that as a sign/omen he was supposed to take the path home. I think they showed that same falcon flying to Rand Tower in the finale just before he decided he needed to go back to K'un Lun with Colleen.

He did randomly leave, seeing a falcon flying doesn't mean you just leave without telling anyone.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 07:51 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Apparently it does when you see that falcon as a mystic sign of what your course of action should be. He even said as much in the show. From a real world perspective, nah, I personally wouldn't see a falcon as a sign I should dip out on my family, but I'm also not a magical kung fu master that believes in spirits and signs.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 08:17 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I guess the falcon might be significant, but it just kinda seemed silly.

"Oh I saw a falcon, f*ck you heaven!".

*Comes back months later to discover the city gone and a bunch of blood* Well shit it's almost as if me being a guardian of this entrance had a purpose.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 08:53 PM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Seeing people defend the failures of this show makes me understand why Hollywood churns out the constant barrage of POS recordings they call movies lol.

1. Danny shouldn't be childlike and emotional seeing as he was living with very strict Monks and would have beaten that out of him as part of his training.
If anything he'd be a very stern guy

2. I see alot people defending Danny not being able to fight because he left before completing his iron fist training laughing out loud
I'm guessing 15 years of intense training doesn't mean 15 years of intense training.

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 02:40 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Long as we all agree the asian arguments are stupid, you can all believe anything you want. wink

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 02:42 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Seeing people defend the failures of this show makes me understand why Hollywood churns out the constant barrage of POS recordings they call movies lol.

1. Danny shouldn't be childlike and emotional seeing as he was living with very strict Monks and would have beaten that out of him as part of his training.

2. I see alot people defending Danny not being able to fight because he left before completing his iron fist training laughing out loud
I'm guessing 15 years of intense training doesn't mean 15 years of intense training.

It almost makes you wonder how awesome these monks truly are if they apparently thought someone like Danny would make a good IF.

I also couldn't help chuckling at some of the antics of "The Hand" though. Like when Harold leaves his building and they write on a window "where did you go?" and then leave a hand print under it lol. The scene is even more disturbing if it turns out Harold was completely out of windex.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 02:46 PM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

It almost makes you wonder how awesome these monks truly are if they apparently thought someone like Danny would make a good IF.

I also couldn't help chuckling at some of the antics of "The Hand" though. Like when Harold leaves his building and they write on a window "where did you go?" and then leave a hand print under it lol. The scene is even more disturbing if it turns out Harold was completely out of windex.

If he turned out to be a good iron fist it would ONLY be for the fact that he's willing to hunt the hand down and bring the fight to them rather than waiting for them to pop up at the gate.

But he ****ed that up and lost kun lun... I'm sure it'll turn up though

Last edited by 0mega Spawn on Mar 24th, 2017 at 03:03 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 02:53 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah that Dragon is probably super pissed off.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 03:01 PM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by cdtm
Long as we all agree the asian arguments are stupid, you can all believe anything you want. wink

I doubt anyone on this site is looking for a white iron fist.

Would I be opposed to an Asian iron fist? No. The only characters who should stay their assigned ethnicity are the ones who's ethnicity are a big part of the character

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 03:03 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Holy fists of fury - check this out: Lexi Alexander and Lewis Tan are now on a project together.

(please log in to view the image)

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 04:23 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Holy fists of fury - check this out: Lexi Alexander and Lewis Tan are now on a project together.

(please log in to view the image)

Sounds cool but not much info...

Whatever the case, I hope this Iron fist fiasco gets Hollywood to pick up the slack on their action choreography.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 07:12 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I like the character of Davos for some reason.

Though I couldn't help thinking about why Danny wanted to be the IF? Surely they told him the way into "heaven" is only open every so often. So he knew there would be a time he could leave, but he decides to specifically compete for a role that means you *never* leave. But then once he gets it he just randomly leaves the first chance he gets without telling anyone?

I mean, if you're willing to fight a dragon for the right to guard some entrance, it seems weird to just suddenly up and leave without saying anything.

He's a selfish moron.

That's it.

He's the most unlikable person in any of the Netflix shows. Yes, even more than Kilgrave.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 07:42 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

Thank you!

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 07:44 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by Nephthys
He's a selfish moron.

That's it.

He's the most unlikable person in any of the Netflix shows. Yes, even more than Kilgrave.

Nah bro Davis is pretty understandable.
He loves kun lun and wanted to protect it as iron fist. Then here comes Danny an outsider not only getting the iron fist but immediately abandoning his post as iron fist. And if that wasn't bad enough the guys were buds. So he thought before Danny said **** him and k'un lun.

he simply lacks foresight to see Danny was chosen for a reason.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 08:17 PM
cdtm

Pretty much. It's not like the comic where an Iron Fist is actually offered the option of staying or traveling, and can pretty do what they want until the tournaments.

Here they have actual responsibilties, which Danny abandoned for a pretty flimsy reason.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 08:20 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote