KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2016)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2016)
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
playa1258
Luke > Snoke

The effects were very good but that is about it.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2016 04:43 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
He made two excellent Trek films and a solid Wars film. Yeah whatever you say, Riddick boy.

Both are nostalgic rehashed crap.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2016 04:02 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Both are nostalgic rehashed crap.
It is opinion based. Riddick isn't as great as a film as Into Darkness or the first Trek. I don't think any of the Riddick films come close to either of Abrams films. Which ones do you feel are better and why ?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2016 02:17 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Oh this is based on a FRENCH Comic.

Yeah its gonna be great.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2016 04:36 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

It is opinion based.

It is not opinion that they are nostalgic. Crap maybe is opinion, but to me lack of originality and riding people's desire for nostalgia is a clear sign of poor quality. Reboots, remakes, etc is the crap that Hollywood is made of.

Let's explore this and bring it on-topic for a second: If Star Wars and Star Trek did not have any of the name recognition then I doubt they would have had much impact. They were relatively entertaining sci-fi adventures, but without the name recognition they could have just as easily fallen into obscurity just like Jupiter Ascending or John Carter. So these more original big budget sci-fi adventures (like this Valerian) have much greater odds stacked against them. Guardians of the Galaxy was a big surprise because the trailers actually didn't make it look very good, but it at least had the Marvel name attached and then it actually turned out to be great and word of mouth spread, I guess...

Riddick isn't as great as a film as Into Darkness or the first Trek. I don't think any of the Riddick films come close to either of Abrams films. Which ones do you feel are better and why ?

...which brings me to Riddick, which has even more odds stacked against it because they will from now on be R-rated and made independently and supported by a small and loyal fanbase. It is the brainchild of the director (David Twohy) and Vin Diesel. Pitch Black is easily on my (and many others) favorite movies list. It's just smartly written characters and great original dark pulp science fiction and even blends genres some, making it more interesting than just another big studio reboot.

So Valerian, which is largely unknown to anyone is going to have a huge hurdles to get over to be successful. So it has to be extra good. It's gonna have to be something surprising like Guardians of the Galaxy, which is looking unlikely. I mean, I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, but the two main characters don't look like they will have amazing chemistry.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2016 03:35 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

Eat your Member Berries...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2016 03:43 PM
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

It is not opinion that they are nostalgic. Crap maybe is opinion, but to me lack of originality and riding people's desire for nostalgia is a clear sign of poor quality. Reboots, remakes, etc is the crap that Hollywood is made of.

That to is an opinion because nostalgia only matters to those people who have fond memories growing up with something. So if you can't see this as subjective then you're clueless as to what the word actually means.

No, once again you're clearly wrong and allow me the time to point out why. It maybe a lack of originality which again is an opinion so who really cares but this is all subjective. Your definition of what is poor or great quality is once again subjective. To me it's this simple a movie either emotionally connects with someone of varying degrees or it doesn't. Movies that connect more or elicit a genuine interest in it are superior movies to me. I do not care whether it's original or not it either works or not.

quote:

Let's explore this and bring it on-topic for a second: If Star Wars and Star Trek did not have any of the name recognition then I doubt they would have had much impact. They were relatively entertaining sci-fi adventures, but without the name recognition they could have just as easily fallen into obscurity just like Jupiter Ascending or John Carter. So these more original big budget sci-fi adventures (like this Valerian) have much greater odds stacked against them. Guardians of the Galaxy was a big surprise because the trailers actually didn't make it look very good, but it at least had the Marvel name attached and then it actually turned out to be great and word of mouth spread, I guess...
[/B]
That may be true but they have connected with their own fanbases so much so over an extended period of time they are still viable franchises. I for one can't stand the older trek so there is no nostalgia for anything Trek related pre Abrams. So my opinion is the first Trek was pretty damn good. It did bring about emotions and connected to me throughout the film. The second film Into Darkness blew my mind, it was years later so I didn't go in with huge expectations but Khan was amazing and scene stealing throughout the entire film. I didn't connect very much with Beyond but it was a different director and I didn't expect much but went in cautiously optimistic. By far the weakest of the three films but Into Darkness is one of my favorite films of all time and I had no reason or lifetime of fandom to be biased.

They do have greater odds stacked against them. The one great Sci Fi which failed demotic ally I loved was Edge of Tomorrow. That film was awesome and I went in with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. I had higher expectations with Jupiter Ascending and walked out of the theater thanking that it was over.

quote:

...which brings me to Riddick, which has even more odds stacked against it because they will from now on be R-rated and made independently and supported by a small and loyal fanbase. It is the brainchild of the director (David Twohy) and Vin Diesel. Pitch Black is easily on my (and many others) favorite movies list. It's just smartly written characters and great original dark pulp science fiction and even blends genres some, making it more interesting than just another big studio reboot.

So Valerian, which is largely unknown to anyone is going to have a huge hurdles to get over to be successful. So it has to be extra good. It's gonna have to be something surprising like Guardians of the Galaxy, which is looking unlikely. I mean, I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, but the two main characters don't look like they will have amazing chemistry. [/B]
Riddick wasn't a great film. I was bored the first time seeing it though I will be honest it's much better on replay value. It's a decent watch for sure and I enjoyed CoR.

Again this is all opinion based so it cannot be proven one way or the other.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2016 03:55 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

That to is an opinion because nostalgia only matters to those people who have fond memories growing up with something. So if you can't see this as subjective then you're clueless as to what the word actually means.

Star Trek = reboot of classic franchise
Star Wars = reboot disguised as a sequel of classic franchise

They are playing on nostalgia. This is a fact, quanch. Not an opinion.

Maybe for YOU there isn't nostalgia involved as you claim, but they ARE nostalgic reboots.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2016 04:11 PM
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Star Trek = reboot of classic franchise
Star Wars = reboot disguised as a sequel of classic franchise

They are playing on nostalgia. This is a fact, quanch. Not an opinion.

Maybe for YOU there isn't nostalgia involved as you claim, but they ARE nostalgic reboots.
I wasn't nostalgic about the films and yet I loved it anyways. Not everyone has nostalgic feelings for Trek. The films were excellent films IMO but it's all subjective and the criteria you judge films is different than my own because this is all subjective hence my unshakeable point.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2016 08:45 PM
Kazenji

The comic that this is based on is getting a full reprint

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/12/va...ahead-of-movie/

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 01:08 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Egon1982

Looks cool and i'm a fan of Besson plus i need to check out the original French comic that inspired this movie.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2016 02:58 PM
Egon1982 is currently offline Click here to Send Egon1982 a Private Message Find more posts by Egon1982 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672
MAY 2000-OCT 2017

The trailer makes me feel like i took a left at Bruce Willis' apartment in the Fifth Element and wound up in a new adventure.

That's not a bat. This...is a bat.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2016 09:55 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

Originally posted by riv6672
The trailer makes me feel like i took a left at Bruce Willis' apartment in the Fifth Element and wound up in a new adventure.

Well it is directed by the same guy........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 30th, 2016 02:35 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672
MAY 2000-OCT 2017

Whats wrong with your smilie's eyes, guy?
I was actually remarking at how beautiful it all looked.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2016 12:51 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

Do you even remember what you said?...doesn't seem like it.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2016 01:11 PM
Patient_Leech

I'm still trying to remain cautiously optimistic for this film.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2016 01:19 PM
riv6672
MAY 2000-OCT 2017

Originally posted by Kazenji
Do you even remember what you said?...doesn't seem like it.

Well, i directly mentioned the Fifth Element. huh

Anyhow, i watched the trailer twice, without figuring out the plot at all. Had to look up the comic. Hope that doesnt turn off the non geeks out there.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2016 01:32 PM
Kazenji

I'm still trying to remain cautiously optimistic for this film.

Same

it could go either way this one, Another Jupiter ascending or something that's actually good.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2016 12:01 AM
riv6672
MAY 2000-OCT 2017

I liked Jupiter Ascending. stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 31st, 2016 06:37 AM
Patient_Leech

New trailer...

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 05:24 PM