KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » My two cents on the future of the Matrix

My two cents on the future of the Matrix
Started by: M82SoCalif

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
M82SoCalif

My two cents on the future of the Matrix

The last paragraph is my theory as to what will happen. The rest is support for that theory.

As I'm sure we'd all agree the Wachowski brothers are masters at writing a film script which ties in numerous themes into a plot which exist on multiple levels, something not often accomplished in blockbusters. When trying to guess what will happen in Revolutions one should look beyond the established plot to the themes which they have established. One of the most common theories is that the matrix is in fact a matrix in side of a matrix, that making the real world actually another matrix. While this theory does fit with some points in the plot, it ignores others. It also only fits with one of the trilogy's main themes: that things are not always as they appear. You could actually use that theme, that things are not't always as they appear, to discount the matrix in a matrix theory. The brothers could be giving very obvious signs to the matrix in a matrix theory to fool the audience. The other two main themes of the trilogy which not taken into account by the matrix in a matrix theory (or at least fully satisfied by it) include: the ideas behind man vs. machine and the common ties with the Christian faiths. This is not to mention various foreshadowing scenes which occur in the film.

One of the most important themes running through modern society concerns the relationship between man and machine. Does man control his machines or do machines control man? Is it possible for a man vs. machine confrontation possible without both sides being utterly destroyed. Many anthropologist define the point at which man became separated from other ape like creatures as the point when we first began using machines. Obviously I'm referring to 'simple machines' (most often referred to as tools) such as sticks for weapons, levers, or pulleys. Under this theory, it is not possible for man to exist without machines. It is the act of operating and using machines which separates man from ape. Likewise in the Matrix story it has been established that the machines relatively cannot exist without man (even if only as a battery source). This makes the man vs machine conflict futile, one can not exist without the other. The discussion between the council man and Neo in the engineering section of Zion touches on this as they discuss control.

If you've seen the animatrix, you see that at first AI didn't want to control humanity. That they wished to co-exist peacefully, but humanity's need to control things led to a pre-emtive strike by man on machines. While man and machine were co-existing the world was a pretty good place, but once the man vs. machine conflict started the entire world went to hell. It appears that on the surface level the idea that the movie's theme is about man vs. machine, while it really is about man and machine's need for each other. Taken into consideration in the film's context, it is impossible for man to completely defeat the machines. The scorched Earth could not possibly support them at this point. And the machines can not exist without men.

Back when the first Matrix film was released and my class was discussing it. One of the main issues we discussed was the similarities between Neo and Christ. Zion is the biblical name for the Hebrew promised land. The word oracle is extremely similar to the word prophet which describes someone who gets messages from God. Trinity's name is pretty obvious. Morpheus is very similar to John the Baptist. There is even a traitor who betrays them for his 30 pieces of silver (or re-entry into the matrix). Not to mention that in all respects Neo is a modern day Christ figure. The word Neo literally means "the one." (kinda funny that when ever someone says "Neo is the one." they're actually saying "The one is the one." duh guys, pretty obvious that the one is the one). His coming was prophesied. He is humanity's Messiah (savior). In order to truly begin his work he must die and then be resurrected. Christ's 3 main purposes were to a)establish God's church on Earth, B) die so that he can free souls in hell which have repented, and C) rise up to heaven and open its gates thereby allowing humanity access. In the Matrix Neo dies and is then is resurrected (reborn). In Reloaded Morpheus states that in the past 6 months they had freed more people then they had in the past 6 years (assuringly thanks to Neo). In other words after dying, Neo begins to free massive amounts of souls (or people from the matrix). What is left to happen is for Neo to "ascend into heaven," which I believe we got a taste of at the end of Reloaded. This is not to say that Neo will literally ascend to heaven, but that he will in some way be risen to a higher state. I believe that by the end Neo will some how transcend humans and machines. In away this may have been foreshadowed in Reloaded when Monica Belluci's character says that Neo and Trinity's passion could not last. We were led to believe that it meant one of them would die; however, tying it into the the idea that things are not't always as they seem, it may be predicting Neo leaving trinity in some way. Also it should be noted that when creating a legend, the legend does not generally die, but is in one way or another lifted above and removed from the rest (Luke, Frodo, and others).

Given the title of the film "Revolutions" there will be multiple revolutions: humanity freeing itself from machine, machine freeing itself from the smith virus, smith trying (likely ultimately failing) to free himselves ;-) from the psychological torment of both the matrix and of his obsession with defeating Neo.

All that being said my theory for what is left of the Matrix trilogy is that: a) (as we know) less than 1% of humanity rejects the matrix's programing, b) because of this rejection a virus ultimately always develops (in terms of Smith in this version of the matrix), c) (as we know) "The One" is a human which is endowed with the original programing of the Matrix, D) the purpose of "The One" is to reboot (or reload) the Matrix after the virus begins expanding and infecting other parts of the program, E) but because of the existence of choice this version of "the one," Neo, chooses not to re-boot the matrix, F) after failing to reboot the matrix, Neo starts on a path that the other "the one"'s didn't follow and in it he discovers that his powers exist beyond the matrix, G) during the invasion of Zion Neo some how (likely with the help of the oracle and using his powers both in and out side of the matrix) defeats and permanently deletes the Smith virus before the matrix is destroyed and forces some sort of truce between man and machine, H) Because the state which the earth is is, if humanity is freed from the matrix at this point nearly everyone would starve and the machines would have no power, I)(epilogue) in this truce the matrix will at this point remain in operation while the free humans and robots work together fix the surface, J) once the surface is fixed humanity can be freed from the matrix with out starving and the machines can exist without relying on the human batteries, K) they finally co-exist in relative peace as the machines wanted before all of this began

We obviously wont see the last three points in the film, but will likely hear about the plan to move towards that in the truce.

what do you think?

Old Post May 28th, 2003 11:10 AM
M82SoCalif is currently offline Click here to Send M82SoCalif a Private Message Find more posts by M82SoCalif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
trilight

More like 20 cents.

Old Post May 28th, 2003 02:21 PM
trilight is currently offline Click here to Send trilight a Private Message Find more posts by trilight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well, i didnt think that the reason to reboot the matrix was to rid it of virus's such as smith. the way i understand it the reboot is necessary because of their is a resistance that builds through the years to the subconcious decision everyone made to be in the matrix. so with the reboot every one is given the decision again (subconciously) and it eliminates that resistance. i think Smith is quit the anomoly and nothing has appeared in any of the previous reboots such as him. maybe i am wrong but that is how i interpreted it.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post May 28th, 2003 02:36 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reep

I think Turin is right on that point. Smith doesn't unplug and spread unless killed by Neo. I don't think there is any evidence that supports Smith's being virus-like before. I think the matrix revisions are more about improving the matrix with each version, thereby lessening the anomaly.

Old Post May 28th, 2003 04:49 PM
Reep is currently offline Click here to Send Reep a Private Message Find more posts by Reep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, even in the rather dire Second Renaissance, the point is made that things were not good with man and machine living in harmony. They were only really good whilst machines worked for man and didn't care about it. At every other point co-existence was impossible. As soon as machines wanted to be free they did not work as slaves and when they lived in their own place they unbalanced the world's economy.

From the development of AI onwards the world was pants... maybe the Oracle has a decent plan for it, I dunno.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 28th, 2003 05:21 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
M82SoCalif

Towards the end of the first half of the second reniassance it says that the machines approached the leaders of man with a plan to establish a plan for a peaceful co-exsistence, but they were refused entry into the united nations. Their plan was not even heard. It is quite possible that there plan would have limited their exportation and thereby saving the world economy from what was happening.

Old Post May 28th, 2003 06:18 PM
M82SoCalif is currently offline Click here to Send M82SoCalif a Private Message Find more posts by M82SoCalif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riken
Loose yourself!

regarding two cents:
I believe al your points are valid. After Neo there was a lot of other people saved. I don't know, maybe Neo will ultimately create a truce with the machines in order to stop Agent smith? Agent smith looks very strong compared to the other Agents. Who knows, what does Agent Smith really wants? Does he want for the machines to win? He is 'free' now, so why does he care about that? He just wants to stop Neo and say: "I am the King, I am on top of the World!" mhm... What does Smith want?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2003 04:41 AM
riken is currently offline Click here to Send riken a Private Message Find more posts by riken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
M82SoCalif

I believe that agent smith no longer cares about the war, about humans or machines, that all he really cares about is destroying Neo and because of the blinding passion he has for achieving his goal he either doesn't care or doesn't realize the damage he is causing to both the machines and humanity. Its as if his disgust with humanity has been condenced into disgust with Neo.

It also just occured to me that it seems as if the Agents aren't aware of the previous Zions. In the first movie agent smith only refers to two Matrix's. The first paradise and the present one (skiping the previous 4-5 or so). He also acts under the impression that following the destruction of Zion he will be freed from the matrix. That a final victory will have been achieved. It seems as if all connected programs (excluding the important programs) are either deleted during the reboot, or at least reused in the new matrix.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2003 08:00 AM