KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Vader vs Revan

Vader vs. Revan
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Vader 16 55.17%
Revan 13 44.83%
Total: 29 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darth Vader vs Revan
Started by: Rebel95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
No, the novel implies Vader was holding back, which is what Witwer claims he was doing...

"They fought like the Sith Lords of old, raging back and forth across the roof of the spire, uncaring what happened around them. Starkiller maintained his efforts to get to Juno, and Darth Vader did everything in his power to stop him. Neither would capitulate. Neither would be the first to break. Their wills were locked."

Yeah, that certainly sounds like Darth Vader holding back when the text directly notes he was giving his all. thumb up

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 09:27 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Do you have quotes from the makers of SWTOR that state they specifically wanted the characters' Force abilities to be "amped up"? If not, sit down.

(please log in to view the image)

In that they're out of line with what we see in the films. Just blown up and outta control. You see similar shit in SWTOR.

Not that it matters, since they're all Legends anyway. thumb up

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 09:32 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

No. It seemed to convey the idea that, when writing the script for the third game, they went back and thought about things differently, and thus the comments. This is supported by the fact that neither the novelization nor comic conveyed the message that Darth Vader intentionally let Starkiller win. It specifically made note of his intentions to use Juno Eclipse as bait to make Starkiller his dark apprentice again, thus "irreconcilably contradicting what" you are trying to argue.

roll eyes (sarcastic) The novelization takes place from Starkiller's perspective, and obviously wouldn't reveal Vader's trick because it was supposed to be a reveal. TFUIII was never made because Disney purchased Star Wars, for f*ck's sake.

quote:

I enjoy how you were intentionally vague since no powerscalling provided in the game can match the powerscalling, or even direct quotes, that can be used with Revan.

Feel free to fill me in on your next move quickly so I can choose from eighty-seven different quotes praising Revan's power in comparison to others to match and beat it.

TFU Vader is on Starkiller's level, and Starkiller can disintegrate cruisers and one-shot hundreds of stormtroopers at the same time.

quote:

"Part of the fun with designing them was if you have these incredibly powerful Force users and they have their whole hidden domain out in the distant reaches of the galaxy, what would that Sith empire really look like at the hands of these things? If they could shape entire planets or galaxies or nebulas, and they had all these slave races at their disposal, how cool would that be, to go into the heart of darkness and you're the lone Jedi and/or new version of the Sith confronting these guys? What would that be like? I thought that would be pretty epic."

Too bad it never happened and you got left with TOR instead, eh?

And you also have no idea if hypothetical Revan actually matches them in power, lol.

quote:

Easily one of the worst arguments ever constructed in the history of this forum (note that Beniboybling is an active member here).

Characters' powers in relative to the grand scheme of things are clearly evident. In a rare situation where they aren't, a simple debate can establish that.

The domination of characters in battle is far more relevant than moving or collapsing a structure since it actually shows the characters' abilities in battle. Your argument that "Darth Vader isn't bad, just every other Jedi he fought during the Jedi Purge is fantastic" is ridiculous. Many of the Jedi that Darth Vader fought don't have the praise, feats, or even implication that they are greater than the rank-and-file Dark Jedi that Revan slaughtered through en masse. The fact he didn't overwhelm them, despite being challenged in many circumstances, makes abundantly clear he can't against an opponent like Revan, who tanked a concentrated blast that threatened to affect all life in a one kilometer radius.

Unless you wish to argue that Jedi X is more powerful than Darth Marr or Satele Shan, in which any grain of credibility you have is diminished?

I love how nowhere in your reply do you actually respond to the argument that you were quoting, and instead just repeat your original assertion in different wording. I'm not going to deal with the circular reasoning fallacy you repeat again with respect to Vader's enemies, since it seems to be a little beyond your abilities. I'll instead deal with the only two hints of an actual argument that made your way into this:

1. vs. feats are more relevant to combat - too bad the feats in question, like Vader standing up to Galen and Galen one-shotting hundreds of soldiers at once, happen in the middle of combat. Try again.

2. Revan tanked a blast that could "affect life" within a one kilometer radius - Vader was standing right next to Starkiller's suicide blast that was visible from space, lol. Try again.

The original point that you completely ignored was that feat vs. "inanimate objects" provide us with a common reference point that controls for the confounding variable of unknown-strength opponents. When you finally graduate from high school, you might have to take a statistics class that will test you on things like this.

quote:

Due to the intervention of his spirit. He had the strike team dead to rights otherwise. Try again.

A strike team of people who are totally on Vader's level. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But if you can make actual arguments as to how the protags compare to Vader, rather than just throwing out an arbitrary feat and expecting people to translate it to "Revan > Vader" by intuition or something, go ahead and try.

quote:

There's an ongoing Darth Vader comic series and a television show that both put Darth Vader back in his place.

You're mentally retarded. That's canon Vader, and he seems to be able to take out AT-ATs just fine.

quote:

And so that means all the content concerning its foundation is to be looked upon in the same light?

No, it means that you basing your entire argument on just dismissing TFU feats because you don't like them is lolworthy.

quote:

That's... that's not even remotely relevant.

What's your standard then, aside from the hilariously circular one that we shouldn't accept feats that are too powerful?

quote:

No, it's not. There's no evidence that most are greater than your average Jedi, which are comparatively weak compared to the higher tiers.

Your argument that all these Jedi can stand against Darth Vader because "they're just that good" is quickly crumbling any hope for him beating Revan.

Logic 101: not having other feats for these Jedi means that their abilities independent of their performance against Vader would be unknown, not weak. It makes more sense to use the known quantity (Vader) to measure the unknowns, not the other way around. Duh.

quote:

I never denied that. I fail to see how that would create such a drastic change, however, when Darth Vader close to RotJ sometimes still fails to live up to the hype.

Your lack of understanding of the distinction between upper and lower limits aside, you still haven't provided a single cogent argument as to why I can't use TFU feats, aside from them being inconvenient to your Revan fanboyism.

quote:

Do you have quotes from the makers of SWTOR that state they specifically wanted the characters' Force abilities to be "amped up"? If not, sit down.

laughing Yes, TFU creators wanted their protag to be extremely powerful, so they made him incredibly powerful. The question of *why* he's really good doesn't change the fact that he is, roflamo.

quote:

Your response doesn't remotely correlate with what I said. Why are we ignoring 37 Darth Vader confrontations and just focusing on the two he did the best in?

Because the other 35 are against unknowns, and I understand basic statistics?

quote:

For the record, don't bother responding, you should be banned by either tonight or early tomorrow for socking.

Of course you think that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

BTW, I've been told by other sources that you're a socially awkward, ugly loser who's afraid to talk to people in real life, so whatever you can frame me for on an internet board, in the real world, you still lose. Nothing you do can change that.

Last edited by The Ellimist on Apr 28th, 2016 at 09:36 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 09:33 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Most of Revan's forces were concentrated within the temple he was in, last time I checked.

The main point of the cooperation was to overwhelm the temple's defenses, hence why a joint operation force against Revan was necessary.
And the main point of a small team was to infiltrate them, glad we cleared that up.
"They fought like the Sith Lords of old, raging back and forth across the roof of the spire, uncaring what happened around them. Starkiller maintained his efforts to get to Juno, and Darth Vader did everything in his power to stop him. Neither would capitulate. Neither would be the first to break. Their wills were locked."

Yeah, that certainly sounds like Darth Vader holding back when the text directly notes he was giving his all. thumb up
Right, lets selectively quote from the text.

What about the fact that Vader was fending off his blow disinterestedly? That his defenses were impenetrable? Or the fact at one point Vader had Marek moments away from a killing blow? Or the fact that when he got serious, he had Marek in an "indefensible position"? Or the fact that Vader is stated to not be trying to kill his apprentice and is instead stated to be "still testing him?" Irrelevant right?

And for the record, Vader doing everything in his power to stop Marek getting to Juno, doesn't mean he was doing everything in his power to defeat and indeed kill him.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 09:37 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by The Ellimist

laughing Yes, TFU creators wanted their protag to be extremely powerful, so they made him incredibly powerful. The question of *why* he's really good doesn't change the fact that he is, roflamo.

From Star Wars Insider #106. TFU is definitely incongruous with the films, but the feats aren't out of line with what they wanted the character to be. It's no more or less exaggerated than SWTOR. smile thumb up

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:00 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

That's just your opinion. TFU is stated to be exaggerated and was intentionally made to be over the top. Swtor isn't and wasn't. /story

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

"The Apprentice is the photo negative of Luke Skywalker. He's been raised by Darth Vader, and is what Luke would have become if he had joined his father. Vader's not a very nice daddy. This guy has been raised to be a Jedi. When the Jedi use the Force, they respect it and don't overuse it. The bad guys—the Sith—keep testing their limits. Vader discovered this person who had the potential to be the most powerful Force user ever. He's up there with the top tier. He's extremely powerful. Vader has trained him in such a way that he just kept pushing his limitations, seeing how far he could use the Force. So, where a normal Jedi might use the Force to trick his way past a few stormtroopers, the apprentice might use the Force to bring down an adjacent building on top of those stormtroopers. He's extremely confident in everything he does. He's been trained by Vader to be an assassin, an unstoppable force."

―Haden Blackman, Star Wars Insider #100

Tempest is on the money. yes

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Nephthys
That's just your opinion. TFU is stated to be exaggerated and was intentionally made to be over the top. Swtor isn't and wasn't. /story

No one cares about your opinion, Neph.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:10 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

laughing out loud

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:11 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

TFU is over the top, but the question is why. The answer is evidently that the protag is incredibly powerful, which is an in-universe explanation that doesn't render it invalid, lol.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:12 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by The_Tempest

No one cares about your opinion, Neph.

That's my line. You have no argument for Swtor being exaggerated beyond "well I think it is." With TFU it is stated. It's not a mere opinion.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:14 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

That's my line. You have no argument for Swtor being exaggerated beyond "well I think it is." With TFU it is stated. It's not a mere opinion.

It's not my tears you've been swallowing all these years.

But yeah, SWTOR is also incongruous with what you see in the films, like TFU. Same situation tbh. thumb up

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:18 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:21 PM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Beniboybling

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:25 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

But yeah, SWTOR is also incongruous with what you see in the films, like TFU. Same situation tbh. thumb up

I was talking about the sentence, not the image. The part about no one caring about your opinion. Because your argument is just a whole lot of opinions. Nothing more.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:31 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I was talking about the sentence, not the image. The part about no one caring about your opinion. Because your argument is just a whole lot of opinions. Nothing more.

DAMMMMNNNN

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:32 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Because your argument is just a whole lot of opinions. Nothing more.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:35 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Fresh, what's your snapchat? smile

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:37 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Don't have one. No point with my shitty Windows phone.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:39 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

You're missing out, Breyon.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Apr 28th, 2016 10:40 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote