KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Gladiator vs thor

Gladiator vs thor
Started by: Genii96

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Glorificus

Gladiator.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 12:34 AM
Glorificus is currently offline Click here to Send Glorificus a Private Message Find more posts by Glorificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm surprised since usually this is about the time the "Thor has FTL reflexes" people come out.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 01:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
I'm surprised since usually this is about the time the "Thor has FTL reflexes" people come out.

Who said he has ftl reflexes?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 01:45 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sin I AM
Who said he has ftl reflexes?

You have not seen any of the Thor speed debates? That essentially come down to saying Thor isn't really someone who can run around at super speed like Flash or Superman, but that he is someone who can at least react to them.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:00 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

You have not seen any of the Thor speed debates? That essentially come down to saying Thor isn't really someone who can run around at super speed like Flash or Superman, but that he is someone who can at least react to them.

Well u do know reaction soeed and running speed are two different scenarios right

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:13 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well u do know reaction soeed and running speed are two different scenarios right

You literally just quoted me talking about the difference between reaction and running so yes. The point I was basically making is I am surprised people are not saying Thor will be able to react in time to do "insert something he does with his hammer" to Gladiator before Gladiator can KO him.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:15 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Because it's a forgone conclusion that Thor wins.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:22 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

You literally just quoted me talking about the difference between reaction and running so yes. The point I was basically making is I am surprised people are not saying Thor will be able to react in time to do "insert something he does with his hammer" to Gladiator before Gladiator can KO him.

Oh...hmmm. Well you have to look at it from a different perspective. He's never been blitzed. Even those ridiculously faster than him like say Surfer have yet to use their superior speed for a definitive win. So you reach a couple conclusions either he's just as fast (unlikely) has reflexes to match (more likely) or they are jobbing ( possibility) u gotta suspend belief. I dont know. Honestly unless you're a flash the speed advantage is moot. Its never used like ever. I mean think of all the slow bricks that compete with people super fast Grundy, Hulk, Cain, Thing, General etc etc...its just a cheap way to say someone wins simply because they are fast

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:36 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh...hmmm. Well you have to look at it from a different perspective. He's never been blitzed. Even those ridiculously faster than him like say Surfer have yet to use their superior speed for s definitive win. So you reach a couple conclusions either he's just as fast (unlikely) has reflexes to match (more likely) or they are jobbing ( possibility) u gotta suspend belief. I dont know. Hinestly2unless you're a flash the speed advantage is moot. Its never used like ever. I mean think of all the slow bricks that compete with people super fast Grundy, Hulk, Cain, Thing, General etc etc...its just a cheap way to say someone wins simply because they are fast

So you don't think Thor is quick enough to react to Gladiator? I mean I don't think he is either.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:38 PM
CosmicComet

Reaction time is a length of time to react to a stimulus. E.g. seconds, milliseconds, etc.

Physical speed is physical speed. Speed meaning distance/time, of course.

There is of course short burst speeds, and long distance speeds, but they are interconnected, and the former is not orders of magnitude faster than the latter.

You can't have FTL short burst speeds and maybe Formula 1 speed level distance speed.

Your muscles aren't millions of times faster than...your own muscles.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:44 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

So you don't think Thor is quick enough to react to Gladiator? I mean I don't think he is either.

Which Thor?

Jane would own him. Her relationship with Mjolnir seems more intimate more finesse driven. She's running on feminism and marvels attempt at changing the status quo. Shed never lose to a knock off. I mean look at the shits she's done with the hammer that odinson hasnt.

Thor Odinson. This is a more equal fight. He's less than he was. With the ax he would take a few. But if he were to get disarmed hed be in trouble.

Classic Thor. The one everyone thinks of when you hear the name Thor would wreck Gladiator. Hes marvels superman. He has the feats to back any win over gladiator. Yea he has lows but his highs dwarf everything in Gladiators handbook.

So take it as you will.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:46 PM
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Reaction time is a length of time to react to a stimulus. E.g. seconds, milliseconds, etc.

Physical speed is physical speed. Speed meaning distance/time, of course.

There is of course short burst speeds, and long distance speeds, but they are interconnected, and the former is not orders of magnitude faster than the latter.

You can't have FTL short burst speeds and maybe Formula 1 speed level distance speed.

Your muscles aren't millions of times faster than...your own muscles.

You're using real life shit to explain comics when you should be using comics to explain comics

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:48 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Lol Comics

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:48 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which Thor?

Jane would own him. Her relationship with Mjolnir seems more intimate more finesse driven. She's running on feminism and marvels attempt at changing the status quo. Shed never lose to a knock off. I mean look at the shits she's done with the hammer that odinson hasnt.

Thor Odinson. This is a more equal fight. He's less than he was. With the ax he would take a few. But if he were to get disarmed hed be in trouble.

Classic Thor. The one everyone thinks of when you hear the name Thor would wreck Gladiator. Hes marvels superman. He has the feats to back any win over gladiator. Yea he has lows but his highs dwarf everything in Gladiators handbook.

So take it as you will.

But earlier you said Gladiator would beat Thor, but now you seem to be saying the opposite.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 02:57 PM
h1a8

You're using real life shit to explain comics when you should be using comics to explain comics

Comics are based off real life logic though. Otherwise, it's impossible to debate anything if we can't use real logic. I can argue that Captain America is stronger than full powered Tyrant and get away with it.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:03 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Umm no.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:08 PM
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by h1a8
Comics are based off real life logic though. Otherwise, it's impossible to debate anything if we can't use real logic. I can argue that Captain America is stronger than full powered Tyrant and get away with it.

No thats just your dumb ass logic.

But earlier you said Gladiator would beat Thor, but now you seem to be saying the opposite.

He can beat Thor. It's a definitive possibility. Just not for the reasons people mentioned

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:10 PM
CosmicComet

It's merely a showing of bankrupt logic.

This 'combat speed' fallacy is some idiotic shit peddled by people who support characters without super speed but wish they had it. They can't have their cake, but still want a slice.

"He's super fast! But not really...But he really is!"

Which really boils down to creating a situation where the 'super speed reaction/slow movement speed' character has to see his own self in slow motion since he can't actually move fast.

Thor vs Quicksilver, in a 100 meter dash race. Let's say if Thor loses the race, Earth blows up, so he has reason to run as fast as he can. That's a short distance, so that's definitely a burst speed situation. QS wins. No questions right? Right. No questions. Quicksilver ran from the east coast to the west coast in seconds flat, which Thor will never do.

Let's say Thor has a fight with Gladiator. Since the claim is Thor has FTL speeds, then let's say the fight takes place in nanoseconds. (light moves only 1 foot in a nanosecond). Let's say Thor sidesteps and dodges Gladiator several times, and the fight takes place across 10 nanoseconds.

Let's say in that 10 nanoseconds of fight time, Gladiator and Thor move around a total of 100 feet or so. So they are moving an average of 10 times the speed of light during their fight. Is that reasonable to you?

If it is, then why the **** wouldn't Thor easily be able to overtake QS in a straight 100 meter dash?

Does his brain have an automatic switch that makes his muscles switch between Barry Allen mode and Wolverine mode depending on if its a fight or not?

It's idiocy at its finest.

You can't have super reactions, without having superspeed. Period. They are the same damn thing. Comics just have people with superspeed job to people without it often, that's not the same as actually being fast, that's having plot help you, which does not aid you in a forum fight.

The only exceptions I can think of are robots that are specifically programmed as such. Robocop for example, can catch bullets out of the air with his fingers, and even shoot bullets out of the air with his own. Yet his movement speed is human level.

Since he is not an organic being with muscles that work in proportion to each other, this is fine. It just means his arms are engineered and programmed to work fast, but his legs are not.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:14 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Also, Robocop is......fictional.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:23 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

He has superspeed. Not sure why you're rationalizing comics, but not everyone who has superspeed goes around running around like Flash.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:24 PM