KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Gladiator vs thor

Gladiator vs thor
Started by: Genii96

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Also, Robocop is......fictional.

NOW you're telling me?!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:27 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Lol. Well, the point still remains.

He's prepared to accept that Robocop, a fictional construct, can have rules in place that makes him fast in reactions, but slow in travel.

But can't accept that they can't be equal in comics? Hmm.

I mean, comics HAVE already said something related. Who's faster, Usain Bolt or Bruce Lee?

I know who wrote it. I know there are interviews out there blah blah blah. But it happened, in a canon comic. We cannot ignore it.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:31 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

For those who like to ignore physics. I will held you accountable next time you want to quantify a feat.

That is Carver level logic.

And here I will go with Thor, just because Glads is an idiot and he is a c lister character who has no one worth to mention under his belt, even though he should win because of the speed advantage.

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Apr 30th, 2016 at 03:37 PM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:33 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by Rao Kal El
For those who like to ignore physics. I will held you accountable next time you want to quantify a feat.

That is Carver level logic.

And here I will go with Thor, just because Glads is an idiot and he is a c lister character who has no one worth to mention under his belt, even though he should win because of the speed advantage.

Who's ignoring physics?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:41 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Braniac 5.0
God of War

Originally posted by CosmicComet
It's merely a showing of bankrupt logic.

This 'combat speed' fallacy is some idiotic shit peddled by people who support characters without super speed but wish they had it. They can't have their cake, but still want a slice.

"He's super fast! But not really...But he really is!"

Which really boils down to creating a situation where the 'super speed reaction/slow movement speed' character has to see his own self in slow motion since he can't actually move fast.

Ares, he can perceive speedster but not react to them. His mind is faster than his body.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:44 PM
Braniac 5.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Braniac 5.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Braniac 5.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Braniac 5.0
God of War

The same way that black Adam can hit flash, by timing it

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:45 PM
Braniac 5.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Braniac 5.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Braniac 5.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Braniac 5.0
God of War

Won't stop them from getting blitz though but it won't be completely impossible to tag them

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:47 PM
Braniac 5.0
God of War

It would be like 1 punch vs 20

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:48 PM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Who's ignoring physics?

Not sure why you're rationalizing comics,

stick out tongue

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 03:49 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Who's ignoring physics?

Yea i peeped that too...comparing anyone to carver is bad form

Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
It would be like 1 punch vs 20

U got a issue number where someone blitzed at a 20 to 1 ratio? Love to read that

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 04:05 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

Carver is the best person to be compared too.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 04:54 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Originally posted by carver9
Carver is the best person to be compared too.

I don't point spelling mistakes out...but considering the post, this is hilarious.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 04:55 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

I don't point spelling mistakes out...but considering the post, this is hilarious.

The truth can be funny sometimes. I was giggling when I typed it.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 04:58 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

I can imagine it.

Were you wearing those sexy little shorts as well?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 05:02 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

^

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 05:15 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Originally posted by Surtur
To be fair there was that one time Gladiator was fighting Thor and decidedly to literally just stop and strike a pose during their fight lol. So maybe that happens here and Thor can get in a good hit?

Incredibly, Gladiator's best showings against Thor come from alt reality versions of Glads.

In the Black Celestial story arc in the 90s Fantastic Four issues, Gladiator (from the future) had some damn impressive showings.

An exhausted Gladiator sensed Reed and crew (the FF + Thor + Iron Man) stealing tech from a Shi'ar outpost. He did this from HUNDREDS of light years away WHILE Reed and his friends were moving at HYPER speeds (some tech Reed equipped them with).

Gladiator covers that distance in moments and engages Thor and the rest of the FF. The fight is stopped before it got to serious (they were fighting near Shi'ar nukes).
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Then there's the time Gladiator schooled Masterson Thor and then just stood there like an idiot instead of finishing off the fight. And another time an alt reality (future) version of Gladiator humiliated Thor and he was saved by Tarene (or whatever her name is).

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 05:21 PM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

He has superspeed. Not sure why you're rationalizing comics, but not everyone who has superspeed goes around running around like Flash.

Name one character that has superspeed but can't run fast.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 05:25 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by Stoic
Without the hammer? For me it would almost be like imagining Hercules beating Gladiator but without weather control, which really shouldn't be much of a hindrance to Gladiator.
maybe.

But, come on! That was a great post! big grin

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 05:30 PM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Lol. Well, the point still remains.

He's prepared to accept that Robocop, a fictional construct, can have rules in place that makes him fast in reactions, but slow in travel.

But can't accept that they can't be equal in comics? Hmm.

I mean, comics HAVE already said something related. Who's faster, Usain Bolt or Bruce Lee?

I know who wrote it. I know there are interviews out there blah blah blah. But it happened, in a canon comic. We cannot ignore it.

Who said anything about comics as a separated form of fiction?

It makes no sense for an organic being to have orders of magnitude faster movement speed 'in a fight' vs movement speed in a run. The exact same muscles are being used, and your muscles can't be orders of magnitudes faster than your own muscles. That's the idiotic statement that would have to be passively agreed to.

You can't just hand-wave everything with 'its fiction', else we would never use terms like PIS or CIS in the first place.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, for example some characters automatically gain stat amps when they are fighting.

And I can't believe people have yet to understand the Bruce Lee vs Usain Bolt comparison for what it really is.

Two high level human athletes (and thus their perception speed is equivalent), who have muscle memory specialized for two different activities (though both activities are anaerobic/fast twitch dominant). One for fighting, and one for sprinting. In relative terms there may be a big difference between their capabilities, but in absolute terms, there isn't. Both are in the same range. The human range.

Usain Bolt wouldn't have the natural ingrained reactions to an incoming punch, so he won't move or counter with as much efficiency, but he could obviously train to overcome that and get better. Could he be as great a fighter as Bruce Lee? It's possible. Hell he could be better. We don't know his intangibles (heart, chin, how fast he learns and adapts etc), but he has the physical requirements down. Fast twitch muscles are a god-send for fight potential. See Ali and Roy Jones Jr.

If you simply ask Bolt to throw the most basic punch ever, as fast as he can (a jab), then most likely his jab would actually be faster or at least as fast as Lee's. Partly because Usain Bolt is a fast-twitch God, and partly because his limbs are longer than Lee's so his fist will likely be traveling at a greater speed. Simple physics on that.

Will his jab be as *quick* to be thrown at as Lee's? Obviously no, he will have some wasted motion and telegraphing in the start up, but the end speed won't change.

On the other hand, Bruce Lee no matter how much he trained, would ever be as fast as Usain Bolt at his peak. That's just biology.

Usain Bolt is like ~27 mph. On average more like 23. Bruce Lee, might be able to run 13.

But, the main thing is that their perception speed is equivalent, being human.

27 mph would feel roughly the same to both of them (it would feel somewhat faster to Lee since he is shorter).

If Usain Bolt's was perception speed was so much better than Lee's that his 27mph felt like only 13 mph does to Lee though, then he'd whoop Lee no matter how much muscle memory Lee has built up in fighting.

He'd see Lee moving in relative slow motion.

But he doesn't. 27 mph is still 27 mph, to both of them.

The Usain Bolt/Bruce Lee comparison was used for two speedsters. Superman and WW. That just means they are in the same 'range', but that Superman has greater raw speed and Wonder Woman is better trained as a fighter and thus less wasted motion.

It is not some kind of "Gotcha!" analogy that can explain how someone immensely slower than Quicksilver (which Thor is) can fight someone orders of magnitude faster than Quicksilver (which Gladiator is).

Last edited by CosmicComet on Apr 30th, 2016 at 06:59 PM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 06:47 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EcstaticGrace

Originally posted by abhilegend

Name one character that has superspeed but can't run fast.

Karate Kid and Aquaman are two characters that come to mind in most mediums.

They can react and process things way faster then they could move running.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 07:05 PM
EcstaticGrace is currently offline Click here to Send EcstaticGrace a Private Message Find more posts by EcstaticGrace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote