KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Shaak Ti vs. Darth Vader

Shaak Ti vs. Darth Vader
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Yeah, that's totally not what happens in the game. And if the sources are contradictory, and if the game is higher canon, that means this particular fight in the novel is pretty much non-usable for debating.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:11 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Kek.

If you want to take the game over the book then Galen ragdolls Vader and Sidious thumb up

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:15 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Neither the game nor the book exist on a higher canon that one another, but where the game is governed by dismissable mechanics, the novel is not. Pretty obvious which one takes precedence.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:16 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
The game imo. It's the primary, original source.

Actually the novel, based on the script, was released first, IIRC.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:21 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Is there a way to confirm which is higher canon?

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:43 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MythLord
Actually the novel, based on the script, was released first, IIRC.

It was still just based off of the game, which was in production first and was the origin point for the idea.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 06:57 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

How did I miss this thread...

First off, Galen had fought off an army of Felucians who were stated to be able to use the Force as easily as humans breathed oxygen.

"And the Felucians themselves were alive with it, too. So alive, in fact, that they tapped into the Force as naturally as humans breathed an oxygen-rich atmosphere." - The Force Unleashed.

I'll be listing a number of abilities the Felucians showed. I'll be limiting it to examples from the novel so none of you can dismiss it as game mechanics. ( Note: I also find it interesting how you guys always bring up how the game has greater precedent over the novel only when it suits your arguments and you dismiss other cut scenes like Marek ragdolling ISD's and Palpatine the latter of which is backed up by the comic as well ).

"The apprentice ducked another bolt of Force energy hurled by the Felucian warrior to his right and sent a jagged bolt of Sith lightning crackling across the distance between them." - The Force Unleashed.

"He recognized the largest as one he had injured previously, but he moved now with perfect grace and aggression; the shaman he had spared several minutes earlier must have doubled back and healed the warrior's injuries." - The Force Unleashed.

"The bone swords were resistant to his lightsaber." - The Force Unleashed.

"Dodging their clumsy telekinesis." - The Force Unleashed.

"He had some force resistance, but he couldn't withstand Darth Vader's apprentice for long." - The Force Unleashed.

Secondly he's also on a Lightside nexus which is inhibiting Galen's connection to the Dark Side of the Force and empowering Shaak Ti and the native Felucians.

"She had taken a world enjoying the normal flows between the light and dark sides of the Force and twisted it out of balance. There was still darkness on Felucia, but it was stifled, frustrated, weakened." - The Force Unleashed.

Galen describes Shaak's Force presence as a deformation in the Force much like a mass can distort the fabric of space and time. Given Shaak's ability to influence Felucia's force alignment I think this depiction is rather accurate. I think from this we can all logically come to the conclusion that Shaak's force abilities are indeed greater then Ahsoka's in a neutral setting.

Now moving on to the fight we have Galen having just fought off an army of powerful force users amped by a LS nexus whilst he was hindered by it. We have Shaak fresh and amped and the fight taking place on ground she is familiar with and Galen flagged and weakened fighting in an unfamiliar setting. In the comic it shows Shaak heavily abusing the environment to her advantage.

(please log in to view the image)

As per the novel Shaak carries out a desperate final attack on Galen that I'd hope we all know wouldn't have been as successful as it was if she hadn't been putting her own life in danger. As we see Galen and Shaak are general equals ( despite the relative advantages Shaak possessed and disadvantages Galen had to deal with ) when both are fighting normally.

Galen is also described before the novel as being above most Clone Wars Jedi and having nearly perfected the art of lightsaber combat.

"Vader's apprentice was both strong in the Force and incredibly aggressive. As a teenager, the apprentice was already more powerful than many Jedi Knights had been during the Clone Wars, and it was only Darth Vader's incredible power and skill that allowed him to defeat the boy in combat." - The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide.

"Under Vader's relentless tutelage, the Apprentice all but perfected the fine art of lightsaber combat and learned to wield many fearsome dark side powers." - The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.

He only improved as the novel went on and for those expressing doubt at his rate of improvement.

"All thought ceased; his connection to the Force became deeper than it ever had been before." - The Force Unleashed.

“I’m not wearing out,” he said. “The moorings were tough, but I feel stronger than ever now. It gets easier, I think, the harder you try. The Force is stronger than anything we can imagine. We’re the ones who limit it, not the other way around.” - The Force Unleashed.

There are multiple other quotes like this throughout the novel that I can provide if necessary.

Aside from questions of Galen's skill who imo is above Shaak on neutral ground with no circumstantial factors at play I would also say he's on or above Ahsoka's level as well.

In power it's not even a question. Marek is by far Ahsoka's superior. Shaak is Ahsoka's superior as well given what she was able to accomplish against Marek and her own accomplishments in regards to Felucia and her presence in the Force as viewed by Marek.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Just for sh!ts and giggles some of Marek's feats by this point. The first portion is directly copied from one of my CAV's if your curious.

Galen managed to restart the engine causing the ship to break free of its braces and move with enough acceleration to plow a furrow into the surface of the planet and create waves of junk in front of its path.

"Gritting his teeth, he gathered the energy and directed it down his arms, into his hands. Blue light strobed across his vision as the lightning flowed into the wires and from there into the hyperdrive mi bines. Groaning, then shrieking, the massive engine came alive. Damaged, completely out of alignment, and barely controllable, the turbine shook with propulsive power, then strained against the braces still holding it to the corvette's warped chassis.The deck kicked underneath the apprentice. He swayed as the entire corvette shifted. With a terrible sound, it began to move, plowing a brutal furrow through the surrounding rubbish. He could picture it clearly in his imagination and through the vibrant flow of the Force. As lightning poured through him and into the engine, it pushed the stricken corvette physically out of his path. I he way to the Temple was now clear." - The Force Unleashed.

"It roared on, dragging itself through the dregs of the galaxy on its disintegrating belly, sending waves of disturbed filth radiating out ward from its path." - The Force Unleashed.

The residual energy of Galen's force lightning is strong enough to keep the starship moving for 12 seconds.

"There was enough residual potential in the turbine to keep it running for dozens of seconds." - The Force Unleashed.

The ship itself was apparently so large it would have taken hour for Galen to have gotten around even with his enhanced speed and was tall enough that it couldn't be jumped over. It's also described as having several levels within its own structure.

"The starship lay directly between him and the Temple and was far too big to get around. That could take him hours. He would have to either go through the starship or move it. A slow smile creapt across his face. Why be coy?" - The Force Unleashed.

"It led up at a shallow angle into a stack of collapsed levels that had one been the crew midsection." - The Force Unleashed.

Galen muses that he could collapse Kazdan's temple which can be seen from orbit and is a to scale with the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. It is described as being made of old starship armor and tank walls so we can assume its pretty sturdy.

"The apprentice ascended cautiously to the foyer, where buckled armor plates had been hammered as close to flat as was possible and welded into approximately level floors. Abandoned thrust tubes stood in for marble columns. Sensor arrays made reasonable facsimiles of window frames, and curving tank walls created the illusion of arched ceilings high above." - The Force Unleashed.

"He could have knocked the ridiculous toy castle down around Kazdan's ears with one Force push." - The Force Unleashed.

He flings away thousands of droids with a force push and keeps pushing causing a ground quake and an artificial hurricane.

"Soon the foyer was full of the twitching, smoking bodies of the Temple’s hapless guardians. He began to tire, not from exertion but from the tedium of knocking down droid after droid, to no apparent end. There might have been thousands of them.

Deactivating his lightsaber, he took a deep breath. With one mighty exhalation of power, he blasted all of them—those in pieces and those approaching with needle-tipped fingers and vibrosaws upraised—out of the foyer doors. Then he blasted the rubbish piles after them. He kept pushing until a dark cloud soared out over Raxus Prime’s hideous landscape—an artificial hurricane full of droid golems.

When the foyer was clear, the apprentice straightened. He was no longer pushing with the Force, but the floor beneath him shook nonetheless. A heavy booming sound came from deeper in the Temple, and was getting louder. He had certainly attracted someone’s attention now." - The Force Unleashed.

If you dig cut scenes he also electrocutes the sarlaac into submission which in the novel is large enough to host an entire town of Felucians on its surface.

https://youtu.be/yb_yd9eg7Po

5:50-6:05.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:34 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Anybody who tries to use Starkiller throwing Palpatine around like it's legitimate and not Sidious obviously just ****ing with him needs their heads examined imo.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:37 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Two things with that. First off, I'm stating that if people believe the game is more valid then any other representation of TFU and that cutscenes are valid showings then they shouldn't pick and choose to suit their own bias. They should take it all as it is. Galen actually moving an ISD so that it noticeably tilts upward? Take it and own up to it, otherwise admit that cut scenes have flaws. Secondly, I thought it was pretty obvious but apparently not so I'll clear this up for everyone. I have never at any point in my life thought Galen was capable of ragdolling Sidious. Whenever I've said that it's always been as a joke. While I think Galen is powerful ( even superior to RotJ Vader in terms of combative force capabilities ) I don't think he is more powerful then Sidious and personally I don't take many of the cutscenes in TFU as valid. The novel is the most valid representation of TFU in my eyes as it comes in the form of third person narrative for nearly its entirety.

Last edited by Syndicate on May 31st, 2016 at 08:47 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:45 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Aren't you picking and choosing between various different mediums as well?

Pick a source (comic, novel, and game) and stick to it.

You can't just pick the best toppings of all three works, which you always do.

quote:
I have never at any point in my life thought Galen was capable of ragdolling Sidious. Whenever I've said that it's always been as a joke.

Bullshit. You've tried to rebut arguments that said Palpatine was just manipulating him on ComicVine numerous times.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:51 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

I'm providing sources ( such as the game and comic ) because I know some people like to make a cohesive story with all of them and view them as supplementary material. Personally I'm a source book and novel guy but I figure I should provide evidence from all sources to those who use all of them. You can't always stick to how you do things personally in debates Ant.

Galen wasn't ragdolling Sidious there. He simply blasted him with a force push like Yoda did.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:54 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Syndicate
You can't always stick to how you do things personally in debates Ant.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Iron...r/dp/1250029716

Galen wasn't ragdolling Sidious there. He simply blasted him with a force push as Yoda did.

You've argued Starkiller ragdolled Palpatine, as per the comic, in the past (fairly recently too).

The fact you're now trying to write it off as that you were merely trolling all those instances when you weren't is pathetic.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 08:57 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Iron...r/dp/1250029716

You've argued Starkiller ragdolled Palpatine, as per the comic, in the past (fairly recently too).

The fact you're now trying to write it off as that you were merely trolling all those instances when you weren't is pathetic. [/B]

:P I make some concessions for others Ant. If not quoting like everyone else then at least providing them with evidence from all sources regardless if I see them as valid or not.

I'm sorry you think I'm pathetic Ant. I'm pretty sure I've only ever argued that here on KMC in jest though. If you could link me where I argued Galen ragdolled Sidious on CV or any other site for that matter it'd be much appreciated.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:00 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...1653922/?page=3 (primarily toward the end. You say he incapacitated Palpatine which starts the debate).

And then the debate starts to heat up on page 4 until everyone leaves the thread after realizing you were serious.

EDIT: You also say Marek "downed" Palpatine with Force Lightning.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on May 31st, 2016 at 09:10 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:08 PM
Syndicate

Vivas was trying to say that the feat itself was not legitimate which irritated me. Personally I believe it was a blast of power similar to the one Yoda demonstrated but him doubting my statement as I said irritated me which caused me to exaggerate the feat itself. My apologies if I offended you by saying that. I'm not always going to say things with exact correctness in the heat of a debate. I expect my opponent to understand what I'm saying. When Vivas says Krayt drained GM Luke and Abeloth simultaneously he expects me to understand that Abeloth and GM Luke were otherwise occupied at the time. When I make statements in the heat of debate like Galen incapacitating Sidious I expect him to understand that I'm saying Galen blasted him and Sidious decided not to continue the fight. I assumed that's how debating worked. If I was incorrect then hopefully it doesn't negatively impact anyone aside from myself and if that's the case then that's all well and good. I'll just say "Ah well." And move on with my life.

Last edited by Syndicate on May 31st, 2016 at 09:19 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:13 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Who gives a fugg about Marek vs Palpatine.

Shaak ragdolls Palpatine with ease smile

(please log in to view the image)

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:13 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Vivas was trying to say that the feat itself was not legitimate which irritated me. Personally I believe it was a blast of power similar to the one Yoda demonstrated but him doubting my statement as I said irritated me which caused me to exaggerate the effect of the feat itself. My apologies if I offended you by saying that.

Concession accepted.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:14 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Galen describes Shaak's Force presence as a deformation in the Force much like a mass can distort the fabric of space and time. Given Shaak's ability to influence Felucia's force alignment I think this depiction is rather accurate. I think from this we can all logically come to the conclusion that Shaak's force abilities are indeed greater then Ahsoka's in a neutral setting.
yes

Also Shaak Ti has established Force bonds with much of the planet's flora and fauna, and with everything on Felucia saturated and strong in the Force, it stands to reason these bonds amplified her powers.

And when you consider that she had the "entire planet at her command", that would be a significant amp indeed. thumb up

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Concession accepted.

Sure.

Old Post May 31st, 2016 09:20 PM