KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Shaak Ti vs. Darth Vader

Shaak Ti vs. Darth Vader
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Petrus
Debonaire Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Selenial
What? The only fight sequence we see of them, he gets a lucky shot and sends her into the Sarlacc, using it to kill her instead of killing her himself.

Let's be clear, all sources show Galen wins. The fact is, the game doesn't anywhere show how much he has to work for it, we simply see how he ends it...

We do see that the game intends for Shaak to be significantly aided by the environment, though. Flora and fauna alike.

Are we to assume that Galen 1v1 against Shaak wouldn't absolutely go in Galen's favor?

I've admitted I'm not entirely familiar with the novel, so I don't know how much aid Shaak gets from Felucia against Galen.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 04:34 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Petrus
We do see that the game intends for Shaak to be significantly aided by the environment, though. Flora and fauna alike.

Are we to assume that Galen 1v1 against Shaak wouldn't absolutely go in Galen's favor?

I've admitted I'm not entirely familiar with the novel, so I don't know how much aid Shaak gets from Felucia against Galen.

Game mechanics don't mean anything, the only canon part of the game is the cutscenes. The novel actually shows everything. erm

She uses the Sarlacc in the book, it's also implied she was the one who controlled all the Felucians attacking him earlier too. She doesn't implore their aid mid combat though.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 04:37 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Game mechanics don't mean anything, the only canon part of the game is the cutscenes. The novel actually shows everything. erm

She uses the Sarlacc in the book, it's also implied she was the one who controlled all the Felucians attacking him earlier too. She doesn't implore their aid mid combat though.

And how does Galen beat her in the novel?

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 04:39 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by Petrus
And how does Galen beat her in the novel?
She smiled in mockery. “Are you prepared to meet your fate?”

Then her lightsaber was lit and she was spinning through the air toward him, striking downward as she fell.

The apprentice simultaneously backflipped and blocked her opening blow. The force of it surprised him, and the recoil threw him backward. His hood caught on one of the sarlacc’s teeth, and he tore it impatiently away before the snag could interfere with his defense. Shaak Ti’s lightsaber was a jagged blue blur between them. He blocked her as best he could until he had his balance again.

Then he jumped. Over her he spun and fell down two layers of teeth toward the mouth of the sarlacc. From there he jumped up again, angling away from her to avoid giving the Jedi the advantage of height, but she was there ahead of him, driving him back down with a series of blows so rapid he barely caught them all.

In desperation, he summoned a bolt of Sith lightning and sent it down, into the flesh of the sarlacc. The beast roared and shook, giving him the opening he needed. Shaak Ti’s right foot slipped, forcing her to flip elegantly out of reach of his blade. He leapt after her, swinging as he came.

The fight progressed around the sarlacc’s center rings, blow and counterblow accompanied by the roaring of the beast. The apprentice cut off teeth and threw the fragments at his adversary’s head. In return she took tighter control of the beast’s distributed intelligence and sent its food-seeking tentacles flailing for him. He repulsed them and fought on.

Down they drove each other, closer and closer to the very lip of the creature’s enormous mouth. The air was foul down there, heavy with digestive by-products and the stink of rotting meat. Ghastly exhalations rolled over them as the sarlacc roared on. The apprentice was running out of teeth to sever, so he resorted more and more frequently to Sith lightning and random slashes of his lightsaber to keep it twitching underfoot. Thick ichor leaking out of the wounds made the footing even more treacherous.

“You can’t keep this up forever,” he taunted Shaak Ti as they dueled.

“Neither can you,” she said. “You are wasting your strength too quickly.”

“The dark side is inexhaustible.”

“Your strength is prodigious,” she admitted, “but that is your doing. Light, dark—” She paused to aim a blow at his head that he barely deflected. “They are just directions. Do not be fooled that you stand on anything other than your own two feet.”

He slashed at her own feet as they spun by overhead and sent one of her ribbons twirling down into the sarlacc’s gaping mouth. “Spare me the philosophy lesson, Jedi,” he snarled. “I’m only here for your blood.”

“And you may yet have it, or I yours.”

On her last three words, she struck three blows that each partially found their mark. The first burned a sizzling line down the apprentice’s left shoulder. The second scored diagonally across his chest. The third would have skewered his right eye had he not held her back at the last minute with a desperate telekinetic block that stopped her lightsaber barely a millimeter from his skin. He could feel his eyelashes and eyebrows burning. The right side of his sight was entirely blue.

She gasped and staggered backward. Her lightsaber and her gaze dropped. A full half meter of red blade emerged from her stomach, then the rest came free with a hiss.

He backed away, shocked by how close he had come to death and how lucky he had been to defeat her. He had raised his lightsaber by reflex. She had, in the desperation of her final assault, practically thrown herself on the blade. Perhaps she had meant for the two of them to defeat each other at the same time.

Her weakening fingers let go of her lightsaber, which deactivated with a click as it spun away into the sarlacc’s mouth. She didn’t look angry, just weary and in pain. Her red skin was suddenly very pale.

He feinted toward her, but she didn’t react in any way, except to look at him.

“You are Vader’s slave,” she breathed, “but your power is wasted with him. You could be so much more.”

“You’ll never convince me to betray my Master.” He was shocked that she would try such a weak gambit again. Were these the depths to which the Jedi had sunk?

“Poor boy.” She winced. “The Sith always betray one another—but I’m sure you’ll learn that—soon enough—”

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 04:41 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

She basically jumps onto his Lightsaber in a desperate act to kill them both. Some (like me) believe she did this to save Her apprentice, since killing the apprentice would just bring Vader down upon her. He survives though, basically accidentally summoning a force barrier leaving her blade an inch from him.

In the comic, she lets her guard down, letting the Sarlacc kill him. The fight seems over, but he enters a rage, force repulses, Injuring her to the point where she can't fight anymore. She then falls into the Sarlacc, the same as in the game.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 04:42 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Well, gawd. In the novel, it pretty much seems Shaak and Galen were roughly equals.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 04:57 PM
cs_zoltan

She basically jumps onto his Lightsaber in a desperate act to kill them both. Some (like me) believe she did this to save Her apprentice, since killing the apprentice would just bring Vader down upon her. He survives though, basically accidentally summoning a force barrier leaving her blade an inch from him.

It also doesn't make much sense for her to die of something she could tank 19 years prior, unless she planned to die

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:21 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I'm not going to bother looking through every Shaak Ti debate to find one that happens to discuss the nexus and happens to have input from you... If you want to act like you've never held the opinion it's a neutral nexus before then go for it, I was simply making an observation.
Yeah heaven forbid you actually verify your accusations of biased and hypocrisy before making them. erm

Regardless I've been of this opinion since 2015, well before Ahsoka became relevant - glad we cleared that one up. thumb up
Huh, so what you're saying is, Sidious fought Yoda on a light side Nexus so is actually much better than Yoda?

Same with Sidious vs Mace?

Malgus fighting off so many Jedi in their temple should be a far better feat then.
Huh, the Chancellor's Suite and the Senate Chamber are Force nexuses now? Who knew. laughing out loud

Regardless concerning the Force nexus beneath the Jedi Temple, the Legends story concerning Nyax gave me the impression that it was locked away, so its speculative at best to assume this power permeated its Halls to any significant degree.
quote:
I guess Ventress is actually better than Kenobi since she fought him to a standstill on a regular planet.
(please log in to view the image)
quote:
Either you concede the above, or concede that the Dark Side being explicitly stated to be Strong on Felucia shows the world is fragile, and neither of them had a significant advantage. Like literally every other force nexus that isn't a Dark Side Nexus in the expanded universe lore erm
Or I could read what the source material is telling me, that on Felucia the light side held sway, rather than concede to a flimsy non-sequitur. thumb up
Originally posted by AncientPower
Shaak Ti had no greater bonding ability than any other Jedi, she simply trained the Felucians.
She bonded with the largest sarlaac we've ever seen, tamed its volatile natives, and indeed had the "entire planet under her command".

No special ability my ass.
quote:
Having sway is not nearly a nexus, that's a giant leap in logic.
It means the planet was predominately light sided, whereas the dark side was suppressed, giving Ti a categorical advantage. erm
quote:
The native Felucians are naturally connected to the planet, being natives and all.
And Shaak Ti, whose been communing with the world for almost two decades, and has it under her power, is not? Right.
quote:
Man, you guys try really hard to lowball characters when it fits don't you?
"He disagrees with my opinion so he must be lowballing!" Pathetic. laughing out loud

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jun 1st, 2016 at 05:34 PM

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:23 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by cs_zoltan
It also doesn't make much sense for her to die of something she could tank 19 years prior, unless she planned to die

I don't think the wound killed her, she'd survive a Lightsaber blast, or his Repulse, or the Sarlacc. She's got superior survivability feats to all of that.

Thing is, he'd kill her whether she attempted to enter a trance or not. Might as well surrender to death and join the force.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:23 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

In the comic, she lets her guard down, letting the Sarlacc kill him. The fight seems over, but he enters a rage, force repulses, Injuring her to the point where she can't fight anymore. She then falls into the Sarlacc, the same as in the game.
That's one way of looking at it, the way I see however is that she simply fell fatally foul of the weakness of her form, Ataru.

In the Jedi Path it says in regards to the style that it "is exhausting and is best employed in short but devastating bursts. Thus, if you cannot find a way to penetrate your opponent's defenses after repeated efforts, it is best to withdraw from a fight you are not likely to win."

Over the course of Ti's fight with Marek, she almost penetrates his defense in indeed short and devastating bursts, but each time barely manages to defend himself. With Marek taunting that "You can't keep this up forever," - and given that as her stamina wanes each attack would be inevitably met with diminish returns, this is essentially true.

Under those circumstances the principles lain out in the Jedi Path would implore Ti to retreat, but that isn't an option, so instead she attempts to finish Marek by putting all her remaining energy into a suicidal attack that favours offense at the utter expense of defense, in a final attempt to penetrate his defenses. That's my understanding.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:31 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

*shrug*

Probably, since had he died she would have survived.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:32 PM
cs_zoltan

>implies Ti is amped by an entire planet
>still gets exhausted in a 1 minute duel

kek

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:38 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Obviously her stamina was non existent to begin with, Zoltan.

We saw that when she took on 12 Magnaguards after battling through all of corus... Oh wait.

We saw that when she fended off grievous after fighting for days without res.... Shit, never mind

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:44 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by cs_zoltan
>implies Ti is amped by an entire planet
>still gets exhausted in a 1 minute duel

kek
>Assumes that isn't what one would expect using an exhaustive form against an "near perfect duelist" & Star Destroyer TK'er.

kek indeed smile
Obviously her stamina was non existent to begin with, Zoltan.

We saw that when she took on 12 Magnaguards after battling through all of corus... Oh wait.

We saw that when she fended off grievous after fighting for days without res.... Shit, never mind
#AhsokaStillBetter

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:47 PM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by Beniboybling
#AhsokaStillBetter
yes

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 05:53 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Shaak Ti would absolutely top Ahsoka, and thats really the most important aspect of the discussion.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 06:01 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Why you gotta make things dirty Neph. There are kids present. smile

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 06:05 PM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Why you gotta make things dirty Neph. There are kids present. smile
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that, LMFAO.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 06:06 PM
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Nah, she wouldn't. For all everyone's argued, the fact that Shaak struggles greatly against a pre-peak Galen [even with phucking Felucia aiding her] remains. Ahsoka doing a good job against Vader > what Shaak did against Galen.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 06:06 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Read what Neph said, the comments right after, and rethink what you just said. smile

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 06:08 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote