KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Death Stranding

Death Stranding
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I find it funny articles were like, "gameplay reveal!"....and after it doesn't showing anything new.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a "walking simulator" if it was one of the first ones out...but they have been around for years now.

At this moment, this looks boring and cooing a baby does not sound something I want to play. I already have two damn kids.

I like when people have the resources to create something, especially if they are talented but I have seen cases where unlimited resouces can be a huge disadvantage for a product. This looks to be the case.......

Old Post Aug 20th, 2019 01:22 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I find it funny articles were like, "gameplay reveal!"....and after it doesn't showing anything new.

I don't necessarily have a problem with a "walking simulator" if it was one of the first ones out...but they have been around for years now.

At this moment, this looks boring and cooing a baby does not sound something I want to play. I already have two damn kids.

I like when people have the resources to create something, especially if they are talented but I have seen cases where unlimited resouces can be a huge disadvantage for a product. This looks to be the case.......

This looks like something that will be on the Epic or Humble store giveaways, at some point.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2019 01:44 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by cdtm
This looks like something that will be on the Epic or Humble store giveaways, at some point.

Well from the sounds of things this game might be a Playstation game timed exclusive.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2019 01:53 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hmm I always though it was PS4 exclusive.

However, I do not know how well this will sell. It's Kojima but this is not showing well.....

Old Post Aug 20th, 2019 10:44 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Smasandian
Hmm I always though it was PS4 exclusive.

However, I do not know how well this will sell. It's Kojima but this is not showing well.....

The Playstation site has a list of their game exclusives, Death Stranding was there and now it's not

https://www.playstation.com/en-au/e...ps4-exclusives/

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 01:10 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hmm....I know there was talk about PC...but I wonder if Xbox one is a possibility.

I guess it all depends on who is paying for this game...I always assumed it was Sony.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 10:49 PM
Arachnid1

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post Sep 12th, 2019 02:03 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Seen something from Kojima, Even he doesn't know what the frick the game is all about.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2019 06:40 AM
Arachnid1

Y'all may want to avoid this trailer. I hear it's a little heavy on the spoilers (I'm avoiding it myself).

PWNT

Old Post Oct 30th, 2019 05:31 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Guess those rumors were real after all, The game is also coming to the PC.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2019 05:27 AM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Kazenji
Guess those rumors were real after all, The game is also coming to the PC.
Yeah, I heard! Thats fantastic. Exclusivity is annoying IMO.

Also, reviews are out. It looks really divisive. Scores range from 10s to 6s (and one 3, but lol @ that guy). Of my trusted reviewers, Skillup gave it a glowing review and Easy Allies gave it an 8. I'm still waiting for ACGs review.

IGN US gave it a 6.8. Most of the other IGN division gave it a 9 or 10. Gamespot is a 9. Game Informer is a 7.

This guy does a good job of reviewing the game without spoiling anything:

PWNT

Old Post Nov 1st, 2019 05:36 PM
Arachnid1

PWNT

Old Post Nov 1st, 2019 10:33 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Arachnid1

IGN US gave it a 6.8. Most of the other IGN division gave it a 9 or 10. Gamespot is a 9. Game Informer is a 7.

I wouldn't trust the U.S. IGN, They're a ****en joke

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2019 12:36 AM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Kazenji
I wouldn't trust the U.S. IGN, They're a ****en joke
Yeah I know. It's still annoying whenever they tank a games review aggregate. I've still got their Prey (4.0) and Alien Isolation (5.9) reviews fresh in my mind. This game seems to have been polarizing in general though too. It's settled into an 84 on Metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pla.../critic-reviews

14/74 critics are a perfect 10/10

44/74 are a 9 or above

12/74 are below a 70

The average is a little skewed (down to 84) since bigger review sites are weighted higher on Metacritic (I'm betting the IGN review lost it a solid point or two for example). The fact that the large majority of reviews are 9+ seems positive.

PWNT

Old Post Nov 4th, 2019 11:47 AM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah I know. It's still annoying whenever they tank a games review aggregate. I've still got their Prey (4.0) and Alien Isolation (5.9) reviews fresh in my mind. This game seems to have been polarizing in general though too. It's settled into an 84 on Metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pla.../critic-reviews

14/74 critics are a perfect 10/10

44/74 are a 9 or above

12/74 are below a 70

The average is a little skewed (down to 84) since bigger review sites are weighted higher on Metacritic (I'm betting the IGN review lost it a solid point or two for example). The fact that the large majority of reviews are 9+ seems positive.
I meant 12 are sub 80 btw. 5 are sub 70.

Anyway, I'll see what all the contention is about this Friday. I'm betting I'm gonna enjoy it but I'm going to try to go in without the Kojima-tinted glasses.

PWNT

Old Post Nov 4th, 2019 12:06 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I always find games get more favourable opinions when the games are a bit strange.

I probably completely wrong but I always wonder if reviewers tend to enjoy something wacky because it's something refreshing.

After reading a few reviews, I have no interest in playing this. One review was basically saying the first 10 and the last 10 hours are a ****ing slog....that doesn't seem that great.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2019 11:03 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Anyone playing this yet?

I've done about 3 hours.

I'm getting the distinct feeling I'm being manipulated and that the bridge are not the good guys. Like Tom Cruise's character in Oblivion.

Kojima has some mind bending imagination on him. Ideas like the Timefall, bridge babies and the death stranding really are on a different level from most game writers.

The baby's cries coming through the controller speaker is very unsettling.

It retains a lot of the odd grading systems that the metal gear games had which I've never really liked and a lot of the technological designs share the same look from his previous games which I do like.

Enjoying it so far

Old Post Nov 9th, 2019 11:38 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Yeah I'm a solid 10 hours in myself. I'm having fun too. It's an addictive gameplay loop (especially as you unlock more options as far as traversal and tech), though we'll see if it manages to hold my interest more long term.

I'm really enjoying the setting, story, and characters too. It's some proper scifi.

I do have my complaints though. For one, the game is waaaaay too easy (I'm playing on hard). I steamrolled the beginning and the first boss without dying at all. I also didn't have too much trouble just bashing the shit out of mules to get through them. Thankfully though, this seems to have picked up in my current area. Mules have more tech and greater numbers, which makes fighting them a b*tch, even with my bola gun. I'm hoping the next boss is more difficult too.

The stealth sections with the BTs got old really quickly. I'm not a fan of playing minesweeper with enemies I can't see that don't do anything but float there and wait for you to walk into them. Even if they do catch you and start to drag you down, it's stupid easy to just shake them off and go about your business. These guys are more of an annoyance than anything (though the first encounter with them was pretty nerve wrecking).

The stealth in general is kind of poor. Mules have eagle eyes that spot you from a mile away even crouched, and walking/running sound doesn't seem to have much if any impact. So far, stealth doesn't even seem worth the effort, which is insane considering the series Kojima is known for.

Thankfully the traversal and delivery mechanics are fantastic, which is good since that's the entire point of the game. I like that Kojima tried something completely new, and I'm enjoying it. I also can't help but feel that I would have enjoyed better stealth implementation. MGSVs stealth with the traversal and changing world in this game would have been perfect. Build a little off what you're good at, Kojima.

PWNT

Old Post Nov 10th, 2019 12:45 AM
Arachnid1

Just finished it. Loved it. Hell of an ending.

PWNT

Old Post Nov 17th, 2019 04:37 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

So I finally platinum'd this.

Definitely a game of extremes.
The plot is very well written particularly towards the end as all the different stories are brought together.
As I said before, some of Kojima's ideas as on a whole other level. It's hard to find original sci-fi themes and this has some of the best I've seen.
The look of the game is pretty awesome although I did start getting a bit bored as the only variation seems to be the colour of the rocks unless you're in one of the wrecked voidout cities. I don't think it's anywhere near as good a use of the engine as Zero Dawn was though.

The game mechanics can be ridiculously frustrating at times. The bikes and trucks getting stuck on tiny rocks. While on foot being able to walk down almost near vertical cliffs one minute and then "falling" to your death down 45.degree snow slopes the next. Not being able to climb up 3ft rocks.
There's very little variation in the gameplay. Essentially 2 kinds of vehicles (aside from battery life there appears to be very little difference between the variants of them). 4 kinds of delivery types to make. Almost everywhere you deliver to looks exactly the same. The cities are all identical, the way stations are all identical and the small shelters are all identical. The only different location is Heartman's lab.
There also doesn't seem to be any consequences for anything. You're never in danger from Timefall and it only effects packages and vehicles. If you kill someone and leave them to go necro and cause a voidout rather than damage structures that have been built nearby you just die and come back at a point before the voidout.

One of its biggest problems is its characters are all very badly written. Heartman, Cliff Unger and Deadman are the only 3 that seemed vaguely interesting. Sam is about as much a character as the guy from GTA 3. Die-Hardman, Amelie, Mama and Fragile are all wooden.

There seems to be far too little in it. Reminds me of No Man's Sky when it was first released (ok maybe an exaggeration but it still feels empty)

In all honesty, it wasn't an enjoyable experience getting the platinum. Maybe if I had concentrated on the story then went back and did the trophies rather than doing many of them as I went I would've liked it more. Instead I spent a lot of time fully connecting places to the chiral network and so by the time I got to the next part of the story I had forgotten what happened previously.

Overall I'd give it a 5/10.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2020 03:24 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote