KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » 2001: A Space Odyssey, Would you recommend it?

2001: A Space Odyssey, Would you recommend it?
Started by: BetaMaximum601

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BetaMaximum601
The daily grind

Question 2001: A Space Odyssey, Would you recommend it?

I've heard a lot of stories about the movie being a masterpiece, and an example of cinematic art. I've also heard things about it just being a disappointment. What would you say? Is it worth a watch?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2016 08:04 AM
BetaMaximum601 is currently offline Click here to Send BetaMaximum601 a Private Message Find more posts by BetaMaximum601 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

It depends on what you like, It's pretty slow paced and high concept. For example the first 20 or so minutes is pre-historic man discovering tools. So if you're looking for a sci fi action like Aliens or whatever, you might not be interested. But it'd be right up your alley if you are in the mood for something more story/concept driven.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2016 11:47 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

IMO, you can't go wrong seeing this. The space scenes alone are an amazing example of why practical effects could be as amazing as cgi, if not more so.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2016 04:11 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dynomaiteru

Well, even though I think it's an amazing movie, and very ahead of its time, it's not one that I would recommend to everyone.
It's very slow-paced and doesn't have much action or much things happening, as well as its famously confusing ending, but if you are open minded, give this movie a chance.
You might not think too much of it after the first time seeing it, but it can grow on you after the second time.
It does have amazing special effects for the 1960's, and its villain, HAL 9000, is a very interesting character.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2016 02:35 AM
Dynomaiteru is currently offline Click here to Send Dynomaiteru a Private Message Find more posts by Dynomaiteru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I very much recommend it. It is -- at first -- an investment in patience, but the special effects, the music, the mood, the overall concept ... this landmark cinematic experience stirs the mind and soul like very few other films.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2016 10:21 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's definitely worth a watch. It's not one of those movies you put on while checking facebook though you gotta be invested in it

Old Post Jul 5th, 2016 07:53 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Its worth watching ONCE, but that is about it.

I feel the same way about Blade Runner.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2016 05:42 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
brexit
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think it's a movie you have to watch a few times to really understand what is going on, and if you blink, you may miss something.

The intro with the monkeys took me a while to understand what happened, but if you really invest, you understand exactly what's happening. Same goes for Bowman vs HAL. It may be a sound effect or something in the corner of the frame, but once you understand why it's important, it becomes oh so tense and unnerving.

It's actually pretty dark.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2016 02:41 PM
brexit is currently offline Click here to Send brexit a Private Message Find more posts by brexit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The monkeys take a while, yeah. But 2001 is more of a philosophical and visual experience than a sci-fi story. It certainly isn't action packed. If you're thinking you're going to see something like SW or Avengers... well, you won't.

But I still find it engaging, beautifully shot and requires a bit more effort from the viewer than just eating popcorn. So it's not for everyone.

Then again, if you like movies and movie history, this is a definite must see. Plus... it's made by probably the best film maker that ever lived.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2016 08:44 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ayelewis

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Its worth watching ONCE, but that is about it.

I feel the same way about Blade Runner.

That's the dumbest non political post I've seen on this site so far.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2017 12:30 AM
Ayelewis is currently offline Click here to Send Ayelewis a Private Message Find more posts by Ayelewis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

For me it must be dependent on what era we come from, I'd say for it being a 60's movie (sure it was late 60's) it must have been so epic and an eye opener. Same with like when Star Wars came out in 77.

In my opinion I just thought it was a boring movie, just couldn't get into it at all, but as I said if I were around when it first came out I would of been mind blown.

2017 - I wouldn't recommend it

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Mar 13th, 2017 03:29 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
The monkeys take a while, yeah. But 2001 is more of a philosophical and visual experience than a sci-fi story. It certainly isn't action packed. If you're thinking you're going to see something like SW or Avengers... well, you won't.

But I still find it engaging, beautifully shot and requires a bit more effort from the viewer than just eating popcorn. So it's not for everyone.

Then again, if you like movies and movie history, this is a definite must see. Plus... it's made by probably the best film maker that ever lived.

This.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I've seen it 2 or 3 times and it's an amazing work of art, but yes, can be a bit slow moving for modern audiences. Reading the book helps explain what's going on, too. The book is very good.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2017 01:40 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is a decent film I would say people should watch at least once. The movie does spend a lot of time just with..space stuff, seeing stuff happen, with no real dialogue. But I guess that makes sense because at the time these special effects were ground breaking so they focused a lot on it.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 05:34 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I still consider it my single favourite film, and I'm a real cinephile. Those that complain that it's too slow and too obscure, movies are not all required to have the same style and do the same things.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 8th, 2017 07:25 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote