KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This movie is great.

I think I still like Dawn the best of the Trilogy, but this is a brilliantly done film, particularly in how it progresses toward the original films. There's some little references that point toward the first two original films at least. I know the director was influenced a lot by Beneath the Planet of the Apes. So there are Alpha and Omega symbols on the traitor apes and weapons, etc. And there's some explanation for how the humans can't talk.

If I was to rate the Trilogy:

Rise - 8/10
Dawn - 10/10
War - 9/10

Something like that. I hope the filmmakers continue with this series somehow.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2017 02:30 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Hmmm. Perhaps were any of the LOTR movies shot near you?

Not that I'm aware of. stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 16th, 2017 05:06 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

will be seeing soon

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 16th, 2017 07:44 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Great movies. Though not as good as Dawn.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2017 10:24 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Watched it. Good film. However the title I believe misled a tad. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: It seemed mostly a prison movie. The big war that came up by the end was between two human factions. The apes were caught in the middle and just wanted to GTFO. The title should've been Prison or Confinement of the Planet of the Apes honestly.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2017 10:43 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

It's interesting comparing these two reviews...

She makes some good points. She hates the last two thirds of the film. For example I remember wondering [SPOILER - highlight to read]: why the Colonel didn't kill Caesar when that was his intension at the beginning of the film. Also I kind of agree that having the Colonel as some [SPOILER - highlight to read]: rogue nut-job missed a big opportunity for the meeting of he and Caesar as two great war leaders talking. Also the fact that Woody Harrelson isn't particularly charismatic, so not sure why they were all following him. But some of her complaints are a little petty, like [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the death of Caesar. To me that puts nice punctuation at the end of the trilogy. And I can see both sides on one issue: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the fact that the movie doesn't really highlight much actual combat between man and apes. It's the apes caught in the middle of man vs man. On the one hand that's a nice little twist in expectations, but at the same time it feels like the prequels to this world needs an all-out war between man and ape.

And about the virus [SPOILER - highlight to read]: mutating or whatever. I don't entirely understand that, because didn't they all already have the virus? So wouldn't it either mutate or not? Why did they have to be concerned about "catching" it again?. That just seemed a little too convenient to help explain the original film.

But anyway, I'll have to see the film again to really wrap my head about more of it. But I really enjoyed it initially.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 02:56 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: It was a mutant strain. That is what they could catch “again”.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 03:27 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Fair enough.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: It just seems a little oddly convenient that a virus would really only affect human speech and I guess some other minor cognition. But they had to explain it somehow and it works I suppose.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 03:47 PM
ares834

I thought it was sloppy explanation myself for something that didn't need explaining.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 05:37 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I appreciated the explanation. Otherwise it was just weird not knowing why.

Because who knows if they'll do further prequels that will explain it.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 07:16 PM
ares834

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I think it being a virus or anything like that is unnecessary. After centuries of subjugation and slavery, I could see human beings losing their language and evolving to be “sub-human”. Personally, I find that to also be far more reasonable then “a virus did it”.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 07:37 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

That occurred to me, too. But I'm still not sure if it's something that would be lost in such a short period of time, relatively speaking. About 2,000 years, right?

But yeah, I thought that maybe [SPOILER - highlight to read]: it wasn't the virus, but this little girl who just happened to be dumb would somehow be the genetic arbiter for humanity's future. That turned out not to be the case.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 08:02 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Hoping they will touch on the schism between the Gorillas and Chimps in the next movie.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 08:09 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Enjoyed it, though it was the weakest of the trilogy.

Did like that they used the name "Nova" as a shout-out to the original film. Also didn't mind the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: virus mutation explanation, it fit with this new theme overall.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 08:15 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: So was there some reason that the Colonel didn't kill Caesar when he was captured? Did I miss something? Did he just figure, well, he came here peacefully, let's see what I can get out of him? He didn't even try to interrogate him. I mean, his main concern was the human army coming for him at that point, so I guess he didn't figure one ape, even the leader, could be much of a threat. But still...

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 08:19 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Killing him would have likely resulted in a revolt, while keeping him as a broken prisoner served a moral breaker for the other prisoners. How I took it. Even though he planned to murder them all once the work was done.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 08:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
Killing him would have likely resulted in a revolt, while keeping him as a broken prisoner served a moral breaker for the other prisoners.

I like that. Elegantly simple.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2017 11:15 PM
avasmith6307
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well if any one want this movie visit movies4star.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 07:13 AM
avasmith6307 is currently offline Click here to Send avasmith6307 a Private Message Find more posts by avasmith6307 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

A good sequel

that one ape i didn't have a problem with its comedic moments, Been hearing people compare him to Jar Jar Bink he wasn't quite that bad

also if they're trying to tie these new movies into the old ones, Still need to explain the people that we see in 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes' with their telepathy abilities.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 05:51 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Kazenji
A good sequel

that one ape i didn't have a problem with its comedic moments, Been hearing people compare him to Jar Jar Bink he wasn't quite that bad

Oh hell no. He's nowhere near as annoying as Jar Jar. Not a fair comparison at all.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 01:49 PM