I was all in all pretty disappointed with this film, probably because of the high expectations I had to it. My wife has seen all the ape films including the classics and she did not like it either.
I'm quite an Ape-head, I've read several comicbook series, seen the TV series and all the films so far. Most of my concerns about the film come from it not being a very good follow up to the previous films and a few wasted opportunities here and there. It's one of the weakest Apes films of all times, but I still got some enjoyment out of it.
I'll go into depth later on, but here are some bullet points of my opinion on this:
- Apes references to other films were well done.
- Caesar is consistent with his character: generous, short-tempered and stoic.
- The plot fits the Planets of the Apes formula.
- Humans facing extinction and still managing to be the bigger threat to each other (done in an excellent way)
- Lesser moral conflict than in previous films. Everything seems to be ranked either personal conflict or survival, little subtelty left in between.
- Humans are batshit stupid and not likeable as characters.
- Nova is barely a character, she is pretty bland and stereotypical.
- Underwhelmed by the action sequences, they did not look pretty nor felt exciting.
- There was little tension through the film.
I would recommend watching it but probably not on the big screen.