KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Started by: Firefly218

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (210): « First ... « 119 120 [121] 122 123 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
It is on its third week and people seem to be enjoying Jumanji. Last Jedi brought in the most money domestically already and I bet when all is said and done it'll be the top earner of the entire year of 2017. For ****s sake just stop with the nonsense. It's kind of pathetic.
You're right, this news goes in the Jumanji thread.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 09:57 PM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I don't troll so I don't know how that works.

Ha.

Originally posted by Nephthys
Like what? She's already the leader of the rebellion, what more do you want her to do? Especially when her very well-documented health problems make it so that I'm amazed they gave her as big of a role as they did here. Even this much was a gamble. Which seems to have unfortunately backfired on them with her death. Whatever role she would have had in Ep 9 can't happen now ad I'm sure that will cause some issues.

Not really. When they get to Starkiller he admits that he was pretty much bsing his way into the mission so he can get Rey and leave. He didn't really know how to shut it down. He wasn't part of the Rebellion, he only cared about Rey. Which is why at the start of TLJ he immediately tries to leave. His arc in the movie is him discovering something else to fight for besides Rey.

Those characters would have been exactly the same in those aspects if they were all white dudes. Its a pretty ridiculous way to measure the realness of diversity. Suggesting that you can only have real diversity if you personally like the characters is a silly and frankly kind of entitled way to look at it.

That wasn't my conclusion at all, so please don't put words in my mouth.

Originally posted by Firefly218
thumb up TLJ does not have "forced diversity". Every character in the movie has a motivation, a character arc and a reason for being there.

Just because you're not used to so many non-white or non-male leads doesn't mean there's a problem with the film.

lol, wow.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:16 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

thumb up TLJ does not have "forced diversity". Every character in the movie has a motivation, a character arc and a reason for being there.

Just because you're not used to so many non-white or non-male leads doesn't mean there's a problem with the film.

Wtf man!

R1 also had a female lead and diverse cast. So is it possible people just have an issue with the way the diversity was used or forced in this film?

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:25 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Wtf man!

R1 also had a female lead and diverse cast. So is it possible people just have an issue with the way the diversity was used or forced in this film?
What exactly is your complaint about diversity? That there shouldn't have been an Asian woman in the role? That Finn didn't need to be black? That the Rebellion leadership shouldn't be so female?

Why are you crying about diversity? Jesus, some of these complaints are ridiculous. I understand people having a problem with Luke Skywalker's characterization or the Snoke/Rey's Parents/Force Awakens reveals. What I don't understand and frankly I think it's stupid and disingenuous is the diversity complaint...

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:41 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by juggernaut74
You're right, this news goes in the Jumanji thread.
Star Wars The Last Jedi is a huge success. It cracked a billion and isn't done yet. It's going to trash Rogue One. The Nt's are better than the Ot's. **** yes.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 10:46 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

What exactly is your complaint about diversity? That there shouldn't have been an Asian woman in the role? That Finn didn't need to be black? That the Rebellion leadership shouldn't be so female?

Why are you crying about diversity? Jesus, some of these complaints are ridiculous. I understand people having a problem with Luke Skywalker's characterization or the Snoke/Rey's Parents/Force Awakens reveals. What I don't understand and frankly I think it's stupid and disingenuous is the diversity complaint...

Again what?

Did I say I have a problem with diversity?

What I'm asking you is if (for instance) people think Rose was a pointless character and basically in there to force diversity are they not allowed to complain about that? Or do they just instantly become racist?

If people have a problem with Rey being a Mary Sue, I guess they're not allowed to complain about that either.. I guess that automatically makes them sexist right?

Bear in mind most the same people had no issue with the diverse cast or female lead in Rogue One.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2018 11:16 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Again what?

What I'm asking you is if (for instance) people think Rose was a pointless character and basically in there to force diversity are they not allowed to complain about that? Or do they just instantly become racist?

If people have a problem with Rey being a Mary Sue, I guess they're not allowed to complain about that either.. I guess that automatically makes them sexist right?

Bear in mind most the same people had no issue with the diverse cast or female lead in Rogue One.

You have to see where Firefly is coming from, he considers any criticism directed at a non straight white male to be an example of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc etc etc.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 12:19 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I guess it was because of the heated R1 vs TFA debate, but giving Jyn Erso a pass when there was all the harping on Rey was kinda dumb tbh. Jyn's an even more boring character than Rey imo, and I like Rey, at least more-so now.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 02:17 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

There just wasn't very much to Jyn, I thought. She was serviceable, but not particularly memorable. The surrounding characters were far more interesting and entertaining than she was.

But no, she shouldn't get a pass.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 02:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Again what?

But what does Rose being a pointless character have to do with her race? If the actress playing Rose was white, it would be just as pointless right?

And I agree with you about Force Awakens, Rey was a bit overpowered. I don’t think that criticism even remotely applies to Last Jedi though.

And I do remember people giving R1 shit for having another female lead, which is stupid and narrow-minded. Not saying this is you, but I’ve heard complaints from elsewhere.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:14 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

But what does Rose being a pointless character have to do with her race? If the actress playing Rose was white, it would be just as pointless right?

And I agree with you about Force Awakens, Rey was a bit overpowered. I don’t think that criticism even remotely applies to Last Jedi though.

And I do remember people giving R1 shit for having another female lead, which is stupid and narrow-minded. Not saying this is you, but I’ve heard complaints from elsewhere.

You're right about Rose being replaced with a white female lead: would not have made her character any better. Actually, I would have preferred Rose be a gay Asian male and Finn to be straight, asexual, or bisexual. And the kiss turns him gay. And Finn has to specifically say, "I only preferred women, before, but that kiss has turned me to the backside of the sexual Force."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:38 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by -Pr-
There just wasn't very much to Jyn, I thought. She was serviceable, but not particularly memorable. The surrounding characters were far more interesting and entertaining than she was.

But no, she shouldn't get a pass.

Fair enough. Can agree with that much.

Far as the villains, Snoke ironically only ended up being a step or two above Krennic in the grand scheme of things... lol

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:39 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Far as the villains, Snoke ironically only ended up being a step or two above Krennic in the grand scheme of things... lol
Thats absurd. Krennic was someone far lower in the machine whereas Snoke was the supreme leader. Snoke would berate Vader as well if he failed him.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:41 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Yeah, really ended up being a lot of smoke with no fire.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:46 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Yeah, really ended up being a lot of smoke with no fire.
You are so dishonest its kind of sickening.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:46 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You are so dishonest its kind of sickening.

Ha. Of all people, for you to say that? That's some funny shit.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 03:59 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Ha. Of all people, for you to say that? That's some funny shit.
If you really believe these two were even remotely comparable I suggest rewatching the newer Star Wars with an adult present so they can explain what's really happening.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:06 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

If you really believe these two were even remotely comparable I suggest rewatching the newer Star Wars with an adult present so they can explain what's really happening.

You're slipping, Quan. You used to be better at this kind of thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:10 AM
quanchi112
Disney

You're slipping, Quan. You used to be better at this kind of thing.
You have never been honest. That should be your New Years resolution.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:14 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You have never been honest. That should be your New Years resolution.

Lots of projection there, Quan. Even for you.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:26 AM