KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Cosmic vs Magic

Cosmic vs Magic
Started by: Sin I AM

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Cosmic vs Magic

So Im in the nerd section of Barnes and Nobles right now sipping my tea and i overhear two guys debating comics. Both seem pretty versed in the lore so i was intrigued.

Any way after introducing myself and grabbing a table we had a pretty heated debate on Cosmic might vs Magical power. They both agreed that they were analogous to a degree but disagreed on which was ultimately more powerful. Names like Lucifer Morningstar/HOM Wanda/LT/ Galactus etc were thrown out. We spent the better part of an hour discussing it and i wanted you guys opinion.

Which is more powerful?
Which is more versatile?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 03:23 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ghostman

so basically they dp'd you in the library?

but to answer your question, at their highest levels they are basically the same just different means to an end, hell you'd be hard pressed to find something one can do that the other cant. but at the lower level id say cosmic has the edge due to the whole "magic always comes with a price" crap thats prevalent through out fiction, also they May need to perform certain actions/fulfill conditions to use magic, ranging from specific words/songs, certain hand/body moves or materials that need to be consumed or even extensive rituals. but magic at its highest level is pretty much unbound
. matter of fact i have a good idea, do a magic vs cosmic feat challenge, kind of like that silver surfer vs green lantern thread a while back. for what one energy can do you have to post a equal or greater feat. but to go in a lil deeper, id personally side with cosmic due to the fact that that it seems much quicker and doesnt require as much effort and sacrifice as magic does. at there lower levels cosmic seems more like a think as you go kinda thing and has less restrictions.

Last edited by ghostman on Jul 20th, 2016 at 03:45 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 03:41 PM
ghostman is currently offline Click here to Send ghostman a Private Message Find more posts by ghostman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Magic will always trump cosmic power.

thumb up

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 03:56 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ghostman

quote: (post)
Originally posted by abhilegend
Magic will always trump cosmic power.

thumb up

does magic have omniversal feats?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 03:59 PM
ghostman is currently offline Click here to Send ghostman a Private Message Find more posts by ghostman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by ghostman
so basically they dp'd you in the library?

but to answer your question, at their highest levels they are basically the same just different means to an end, hell you'd be hard pressed to find something one can do that the other cant. but at the lower level id say cosmic has the edge due to the whole "magic always comes with a price" crap thats prevalent through out fiction, also they May need to perform certain actions/fulfill conditions to use magic, ranging from specific words/songs, certain hand/body moves or materials that need to be consumed or even extensive rituals. but magic at its highest level is pretty much unbound
. matter of fact i have a good idea, do a magic vs cosmic feat challenge, kind of like that silver surfer vs green lantern thread a while back. for what one energy can do you have to post a equal or greater feat. but to go in a lil deeper, id personally side with cosmic due to the fact that that it seems much quicker and doesnt require as much effort and sacrifice as magic does. at there lower levels cosmic seems more like a think as you go kinda thing and has less restrictions.

My thing with magic though is when there seems to be no residual effect. Cosmic powers seem to have a stricter sense of laws. Magic seems to not be bound.

Can cosmic powers alter reality?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:06 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Yes. At similar power level, a mage is always going to trump a cosmic being. Just look at Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:09 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Sin I AM
My thing with magic though is when there seems to be no residual effect. Cosmic powers seem to have a stricter sense of laws. Magic seems to not be bound.

The main difference is that cosmic power is restricted by the laws of physics.

Magic is...well magic.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:10 PM
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Miring brah?

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:14 PM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ghostman

what...... youve got it completely backwards, magic is far far FAR more restricted. did you not read the whole "magic always comes with a price" thing? i KNOW you heard that saying before... like say a magician wanted to remove the souls of every human on earth, under normal circumstances, he would need to do a ritual, prepare and do some sort of incantation or chant, as most magic doesnt work on the whole think as you go/handwave method. while cosmic powers most of the time they would just wave their hand or think about it and it happens.

and of course cosmic powers can warp reality, have you ever heard of a COSMIC CUBE ???? serious girl?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:16 PM
Tar-Antado
Secret Dunadain King

There is no doubt that the current Marvel Multi-verse is based on science. That is evident with the Secret Wars events. Science is king, at least with Marvel.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:16 PM
Tar-Antado is currently offline Click here to Send Tar-Antado a Private Message Find more posts by Tar-Antado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ghostman

Yes. At similar power level, a mage is always going to trump a cosmic being. Just look at Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate.

i disagree, dr fate and strange are not your runt of the mill magicians. what cosmic characters are on fate and stranges level? thanos?

also scans for omniversal magic?'

and add to the fact that most of stranges best feats require prep. further proving my point in my first post, its more restricted

Last edited by ghostman on Jul 20th, 2016 at 04:24 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:20 PM
ghostman

The main difference is that cosmic power is restricted by the laws of physics.

Magic is...well magic.

cosmic power is not restricted by the laws of physics. cosmic cube? IG? and the numerous other cosmic characters like beyonder and molecule man that warp reality and defy the laws of physics

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:23 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

what...... youve got it completely backwards, magic is far far FAR more restricted. did you not read the whole "magic always comes with a price" thing? i KNOW you heard that saying before... like say a magician wanted to remove the souls of every human on earth, under normal circumstances, he would need to do a ritual, prepare and do some sort of incantation or chant, as most magic doesnt work on the whole think as you go/handwave method. while cosmic powers most of the time they would just wave their hand or think about it and it happens.

and of course cosmic powers can warp reality, have you ever heard of a COSMIC CUBE ???? serious girl?

Not all writers take with "Magic comes with a price." A mage can remove all the souls from Earth. The same will take at least a skyfather in cosmic tier.

Yes, the artifacts in MU are always powerful. Even then Dr. Strange (Just Strange) took on Adam Warlock with IG and held his own. In fairness Warlock was using one gem only but you will not find a cosmic being of lesser power taking on a more powerful magical being.

i disagree, dr fate and strange are not your runt of the mill magicians. what cosmic characters are on fate and stranges level? thanos?

also scans for omniversal magic?'

and add to the fact that most of stranges best feats require prep. further proving my point in my first post, its more restricted

Of course they are not. But they are not that powerful in the sorcerer hierarchy.

Lord of Chaos and Order destroyed and recreated entire creation. Words like Omniversal or multiversal are meaningless.
cosmic power is not restricted by the laws of physics. cosmic cube? IG? and the numerous other cosmic characters like beyonder and molecule man that warp reality and defy the laws of physics

You are going to the very top of the hierarchy. Lesser cosmic characters? Yes, they do.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:33 PM
ghostman

Not all writers take with "Magic comes with a price." A mage can remove all the souls from Earth. The same will take at least a skyfather in cosmic tier.

Yes, the artifacts in MU are always powerful. Even then Dr. Strange (Just Strange) took on Adam Warlock with IG and held his own. In fairness Warlock was using one gem only but you will not find a cosmic being of lesser power taking on a more powerful magical being.

Of course they are not. But they are not that powerful in the sorcerer hierarchy.

Lord of Chaos and Order destroyed and recreated entire creation. Words like Omniversal or multiversal are meaningless.
You are going to the very top of the hierarchy. Lesser cosmic characters? Yes, they do.

yes but the majority DO. you cant ignore most writers not writing magical characters as unbound and limitless , and use the minority of them that dont have those limits as the standard and add to the fact that most need chants and incantations prep and a plethora of other things. and kilowog has performed planetary soul manipulation before. hes not skyfather, so has superman blue.

didnt surfer take on mephisto in his own realm? didnt superman punch through emperor joker ? those are examples of lesser cosmic characters taking on more powerful magic beings.

also, destroying entire creation can mean a universe, im going to need the context of that one. "entire creation" can mean a single universe. those terms are not meaningless. and youre doing the same exact thing for the magic side, using minority examples as the majority. most magic characters arent doing planetary soul manip without some prep or chanting.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 04:57 PM
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

That only applies up to a certain level. Godly magic for example doesn't require such actions

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 05:07 PM
Cogito

HoM Wanda

If the LT decides to wipe out a universe, is he using magic or cosmic power or something else entirely? You get to a certain point and nobody even bothers with distinguishing the type of power used (if there even is a difference at that level)

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 05:10 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ghostman

That only applies up to a certain level. Godly magic for example doesn't require such actions

yes and thats the minority. most magic isnt that way. at those levels im talking about is where cosmic has the edge. it doesnt need all that stuff. you need godly top tier magic to abandon it. even then most characters still need some sort of proxy.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 05:17 PM
ghostman

Originally posted by Cogito
HoM Wanda

If the LT decides to wipe out a universe, is he using magic or cosmic power or something else entirely? You get to a certain point and nobody even bothers with distinguishing the type of power used (if there even is a difference at that level)

wasnt she retconned into channeling the life force of some other being? idk man that shits a mess.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 05:18 PM
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

yes and thats the minority. most magic isnt that way. at those levels im talking about is where cosmic has the edge. it doesnt need all that stuff. you need godly top tier magic to abandon it. even then most characters still need some sort of proxy.

Like who for example?

Let's see Strange, Doom (at times ) Zatanna, Fate...who doesn't? Never seen Loki do it or any of the hell lords..or magik..I can't remember if Wiccan did it or not he's a forgettable character

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 05:43 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I'm not too clear on what the difference is supposed to be. Cosmic as far as I am concerned is a scale on which a certain power can operate on.

Even the the Living Tribunal used spells.

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2016 11:28 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote