KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Stranger Things

Stranger Things
Started by: ares834

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

Stranger Things

Has anyone else watched this yet?

It basically feels like a mix of Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. Personally, I thought it was excellent. Probably the best Netflix Original so far.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2016 03:11 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Kinda looks like one of those shows where nothing really happens, just gets hinted at. Looks good enough to give it a go though, plus, it'd be interesting to see how shoplifting helped Winona to prepare for the role.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2016 12:40 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I just finished watching it last night. It was pretty good IMO. A lot of shows similar to this one fail to keep my attention for the whole season, but I breezed through all the episodes pretty quickly.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by samhain
Kinda looks like one of those shows where nothing really happens, just gets hinted at. Looks good enough to give it a go though, plus, it'd be interesting to see how shoplifting helped Winona to prepare for the role.

The show actually has a decent bit of action, but it does tend to build up towards a climax, so the heavier action is more towards the later episodes.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 08:14 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I saw it. Pretty great, though I didn't really like how things wrapped up. Too easy.

Still, great show

PWNT

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 08:04 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I saw it. Pretty great, though I didn't really like how things wrapped up. Too easy.

Still, great show

Well, they did leave it somewhat [SPOILER - highlight to read]: open-ended, with the food and eggos in the forest, and Will puking up that weird, black slug. And this show got pretty decent overall ratings, so the chances for a second season are definitely on.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 02:23 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

On ep 5, enjoyable so far.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 07:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Finished this today. Some weird hybrid of Super 8, Silent Hill, The Mist

Was OK. Get the feeling it wouldn't be getting as well received without the 80's movie nostalgia though. If it was condensed into a movie it would be a blatant Super 8 rip off with added mysterious girl with super powers.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 10:32 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Oh, I heard good things about this, but fu#k, if it's like Super 8 I'll probably pass. Did not like Super 8.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 11:05 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

This was damn good.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 01:09 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Oh, I heard good things about this, but fu#k, if it's like Super 8 I'll probably pass. Did not like Super 8.

Well, to me (personally, at least) it was what Super 8 could have been if it had actually been done well. I also thought Super 8 was balls, but liked this.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 04:13 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

For people who are unsure, I'd recommend watching the first 2 episodes, and see how you like them. If you like them, you will probably enjoy the show right up until the end. If the first 2 episodes didn't get your interest, you'll be wasting your time continuing.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 05:02 AM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I thought the series was amazing. It was like Stephen King's It meets Fringe with Stand by Me and Goonies mashed in for flavor. Good sci fi with 80's era flavor.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 02:08 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

When Delph and I agree it's basically a fact.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 02:44 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Was great

Old Post Jul 31st, 2016 05:00 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Binge watched this in 24 hours while I was off work. Really enjoyable, think being set in the 80's helped a lot, if only for the fact they couldn't track phones or use satellite images to find the child. Hope this gets a second season with these characters but they could do a True Detective thing and give us a new story, characters, time period, etc. Definitely had a Stand By Me/It kind of feel to it. When will these shadowy government groups realize that you don't mess with curious teenage boys who ride bicycles in small town America? That's one sure fire way to have it all come crashing down around you.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2016 03:27 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Just binge watched this over the course of today. Excellent show. A mix of many famous sci film and horror themes with an 80s aesthetic, a tantalizing mystery, and relatable enjoyable characters, along with excellent direction, cinematography, and acting, with its short length allowing for an efficient narrative with no needless or uninteresting subplots. If you are a fan of shows like Lost, Fringe, or The Twilight Zone, you'll love this.

I noticed that many plot elements and themes were similar to the works of Stephen King, such as It, The Tommyknockers, and Carrie, as well as Steven Spielberg films such as ET and (the Spielberg inspired) Super 8

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Aug 10th, 2016 11:03 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Super 8 as a TV series.

It's laden with tropes, but packages them well. And it takes delightful glee in referencing basically anything from the 80s. Plot will be ho-hum to long-time sci-fi and even horror buffs. But the cast shines, and it's marathon-able in one day. I watched the whole thing today.

thumb up

Old Post Sep 6th, 2016 01:11 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Super 8 as a TV series.

It's laden with tropes, but packages them well. And it takes delightful glee in referencing basically anything from the 80s. Plot will be ho-hum to long-time sci-fi and even horror buffs. But the cast shines, and it's marathon-able in one day. I watched the whole thing today.

thumb up
Much better than Super 8

Old Post Sep 6th, 2016 06:09 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Firefly218
Much better than Super 8

Well, TV shows get to cheat. They have more time. If that time is utilized well, it's almost always going to be a deeper experience. It's hard to compare mediums. But I think the comparison is fair, and Super 8 did a nice job building an interesting sci-fi tale with characters that you could care about.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2016 10:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I liked it. A tad long though for the story they were trying to tell. After Ep5 it dragged on a bit. They might have added another layer to the story.

Strong side: a pretty straightforward mystery story
Weak side: maybe a tad too straightforward for an eight hour movie.

Very enjoyable. But not among the greats like Twin Peaks or Lost.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2016 09:56 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote