KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Stranger Things

Stranger Things
Started by: ares834

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Well, TV shows get to cheat. They have more time. If that time is utilized well, it's almost always going to be a deeper experience. It's hard to compare mediums. But I think the comparison is fair, and Super 8 did a nice job building an interesting sci-fi tale with characters that you could care about.
Just because two things use the same idea doesn't mean they're equivalent. Buffy isn't Twilight with a tv show just because a girl falls in love with a vampire or a werewolf. The Walking Dead isn't a Dawn of the Dead tv show just because there's zombies. Stranger Things is in terms of character dynamics and story as uniquely spun as any other tv show, its only similarities to Super 8 are very surface and superficial. Sure they're in the same genre, they both involve protagonists that are kids and they both have mysterious monsters. It's not those things that make the show great, it's how those things are used and to what effect. Imo the first hour of the show alone is superior and more interesting than everything Super 8 did.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2016 06:29 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Firefly218
Just because two things use the same idea doesn't mean they're equivalent. Buffy isn't Twilight with a tv show just because a girl falls in love with a vampire or a werewolf. The Walking Dead isn't a Dawn of the Dead tv show just because there's zombies. Stranger Things is in terms of character dynamics and story as uniquely spun as any other tv show, its only similarities to Super 8 are very surface and superficial. Sure they're in the same genre, they both involve protagonists that are kids and they both have mysterious monsters. It's not those things that make the show great, it's how those things are used and to what effect. Imo the first hour of the show alone is superior and more interesting than everything Super 8 did.
Iyo and with the allotted time they could establish more since they didn't have to resolve the entire season inside of the first hour.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2016 10:32 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Firefly218

I don't think the similarities are superficial at all. I got a very similar feeling from both, in terms of the relationships between the characters, and the tensions between them. And the superficial similarities, as you call them, are pretty comprehensive. Both have a jaded cop mourning the loss of someone, both are set in roughly the same time period ('79 vs. '83) and in the same part of the country (Ohio/Indiana), giving off a distinct suburban middle-America vibe. Townspeople missing, shady government types with a vague conspiracy feeling, a grade school science teacher as plot device, and plucky young nerds with hearts of gold. Hell, both aliens hang people in their lairs and use them for food. And that's just off the top of my head. If you want to go to critical reception, ST has been called an homage to Spielberg films, and he produced Super 8. Or if we want to appeal to mass opinion, do a search for "Stranger Things Super 8." There are a several results. Your Buffy/Twilight example is a strawman. By nearly any method of comparison, Super 8 and Stranger Things are incredibly similar, both in objective details and emotional core.

However, you're taking my original comment out of context. I meant it as a compliment, not as a cross-media comparison. That you didn't like one doesn't erase the similarities, nor does a comparison of the two cheapen the cool, original ways that Stranger Things isn't like Super 8.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 8th, 2016 at 01:58 AM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 01:48 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think the similarities are superficial at all. I got a very similar feeling from both, in terms of the relationships between the characters, and the tensions between them. And the superficial similarities, as you call them, are pretty comprehensive. Both have a jaded cop mourning the loss of someone, both are set in roughly the same time period ('79 vs. '83) and in the same part of the country (Ohio/Indiana), giving off a distinct suburban middle-America vibe. Townspeople missing, shady government types with a vague conspiracy feeling, a grade school science teacher as plot device, and plucky young nerds with hearts of gold. Hell, both aliens hang people in their lairs and use them for food. And that's just off the top of my head. If you want to go to critical reception, ST has been called an homage to Spielberg films, and he produced Super 8. Or if we want to appeal to mass opinion, do a search for "Stranger Things Super 8." There are a several results. Your Buffy/Twilight example is a strawman. By nearly any method of comparison, Super 8 and Stranger Things are incredibly similar, both in objective details and emotional core.

However, you're taking my original comment out of context. I meant it as a compliment, not as a cross-media comparison. That you didn't like one doesn't erase the similarities, nor does a comparison of the two cheapen the cool, original ways that Stranger Things isn't like Super 8.
Well sure you can compare the two things I've got no problem with that, it just seems like you tried to combine them. Parrellels can be drawn between anything in entertainment because there's really nothing conceptually new that hasn't been exhausted in some format. All we've got is the old and that's do we care, are the jokes funny, are the scary parts scary, is the story gripping and do the characters resonate. Maybe it's not an objective analysis but Stranger Things delivered in spades all the things that mattered; I was happy, I was sad, I was scared and most of all they made me care. Super 8 on the other hand failed to meet any of those standards imo at least. So when you're comparing two things, just because they've got, granted, strong parrellels in their genre pulls and tropes, it doesn't mean they're the same. Each thing is a special little snowflake imo. Once again though everything I'm saying is just my perspectives it's cool if you enjoyed that soulless boring Spielberg pandering garbage Super 8

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 05:20 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I might get into this.

...Maybe.

I saw the fight scene between Johnathan and Steve.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 09:21 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Yeah, the fight between Steve and Johnahthahn was pretty good.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 11:49 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I liked that fight just on how relateable it was alone.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 08:14 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I agree.... Super 8 harked back strongly to the 80s movies like ET and Close Encounters. ST harks back to many movies from the era and the style: a LOT of ET, The Goonies, Stand by Me, It.... etc etc...

It is VERY much a homage series in the style of Super 8.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2016 05:46 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

This was a fun series to watch, but not as great as the hype led me to believe. Still a good watch and recommended.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 28th, 2016 12:27 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Cool show. Perhaps a bit overhyped, but enjoyable nonetheless and great nostalgia to classic 80's films/shows.

So I take it the one Jonathon, Nancy and Steve fought was different to the one Eleven killed..

Old Post Oct 17th, 2016 07:47 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2017 12:52 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Have my doubts, thinking this show could be a single-season-wonder. Still going to watch it though.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 6th, 2017 05:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Robtard
Have my doubts, thinking this show could be a single-season-wonder. Still going to watch it though.

Yeah, it will be hard to live up to the first season, but I am still hoping they can pull it off.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2017 04:32 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

I think the hype was right...

everyone and the aunt told me to watch it before I actually did. and I have to say I haven't been that impressed in awhile. I really liked the way

[i]Stranger Things delivered in spades all the things that mattered; I was happy, I was sad, I was scared and most of all they made me care. [/B]

as was stated earlier.

probably my top on Netflix originals as being just a great all around show. I loved the Marvel shows too but ST just has it all.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2017 07:37 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i still need to finish this up

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 7th, 2017 11:08 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Just finished the first season.

Very overrated show. Not a bad show, but not particularly good either. Definitely not the best netflix original, as many claimed it was.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2017 06:51 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Watched the first episode of this last night. I was impressed. Intrigued enough to keep watching.

Toto's "Africa" in the first episode... laughing out loud

Aliens?

(please log in to view the image)

Attachment: aliens if not aliens.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Feb 10th, 2017 01:10 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity
Just finished the first season.

Very overrated show. Not a bad show, but not particularly good either. Definitely not the best netflix original, as many claimed it was.

I have to agree, it's not bad..but I did not find it as utterly amazing as some did. For me I got less interested as the season went on, the first few episodes drew me in far more than the later ones.

I will watch the second season though.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2017 02:33 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Watched the first episode of this last night. I was impressed. Intrigued enough to keep watching.

Toto's "Africa" in the first episode... laughing out loud

When it comes to music it seems everybody is using the Stranger Things theme song in their youtube videos these days. The theme does seem to perfectly capture the essence of the story and time period.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2017 02:36 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Only 3 more episodes left on this and rather enjoying it. It's superbly directed with great performances, especially Wynona Rider and the kids. It's a fun show so far. Hope the last few episodes don't ruin it.

It reminds me of a combination of...

The X-Files - mysterious paranormal activity
Twin Peaks - 'death' of a kid in a small town
Kung Fury - the 80s music and vibes

Old Post Feb 13th, 2017 04:12 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote