KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Aquaman (2018)

Aquaman (2018)
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (116): « First ... « 98 99 [100] 101 102 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Senor Cage
I never said there was a difference. You brought up Russo's doubling Cap's sequels, I brought up the Furious franchise. There are always factors that propel movies to billions of dollars. In this case, Aquaman's run is more impressive, since Cap had Robert Downey Jr./Iron Man, Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc...

Winter Soldier did not have any of those ancillary characters in it. Yet the Russos almost doubled the box office from Cap1.

If you think any director could have done what Ruusos did for Cap, then youre simply kidding yourself.

While Wan had Jason Momoa and Amber heard. LMAO. Someone brought this up earlier, but Aquaman will be the 5th biggest original movie ever. The ones above it are sequels or remakes. Impressive.

Is Black Panther a sequel or a remake? Is Avatar? Is Titanic?

Honestly not sure if you think out your so called facts sometimes.

I just do that to give you a rise. stick out tongue Still, DCEU is WB's biggest money maker, and it will continue to grow.

Gotcha. So why is WBs largest brand hitting a Billion such a big deal now?

Which is why I said jumps like that don't usually happen. Civil War made that much, because it was Avengers 2.5. Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.., Aquaman didn't need that to make a billion, which is why I think many directors can make a huge profit, directing IW, End Game, or Civil Bore.

Winter Soldier did not have those Avengers in it.

Also you are seriously downplaying the Russos achievement here of introducing us to Black Panther and the MCU Spider-Men in Civil War, both of whom became massively popular from that film.

And dont tell me BP and SM are all the same franchise either Lmao.

It actually wasn't. In order to make a profit, the movie needs to make around triple the budget. Remember, the budget doesn't include marketing. And You, Me and Dupree only made 75 million domestic. Now, if they went with a LOWER budget, such as Wan, then it would have. It also got trashed by critics. Big success, right there.

Its not that simple. With a larger domestic gross, not as much is needed worldwide to be profitable.

You, Me and Dupree was definitely profitable.

Not really.

You denial is just that.

If they get a 2nd movie to hit the $2billion mark then they will be an exclusive club with James Cameron as the only other member. They are already in the exclusive $2bill club alongside Cameron and Abrams.

And they have. WW, SS, BVS, MOS, all made profit and did respectable numbers.

So now it was an already established brand?

Jeez make up your mind. You are all over the place.

Was the DCEU an established and successful brand already prior to Aquaman or not?

Make up you mind, and quit flip flopping according to what you are arguing in the moment.

I did, and Wan is GOAT. I already provided the link and Russo's only had success in ONE franchise, while Wan has had 2. That doesn't include the loads of money he made with Rated R movies. Again, Wan is in a different league.

Pretty sure Winter Soldier and Infinity War are 2 VERY Different franchises. Not to mention 2 Very Different films.

Being part of the same continuity doesnt make them the same. Unless you are claiming Man of Steel and Wonder Woman are the same franchise?

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 15th, 2019 at 03:23 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 03:19 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote:

Winter Soldier did not have any of those ancillary characters in it. Yet the Russos almost doubled the box office from Cap1.

If you think any director could have done what Ruusos did for Cap, then youre simply kidding yourself.

Where did I say, "any". I said many directors can, and there are out there. I didn't say WS, I said Civil War. Civil War is the Russo's 2nd highest film, and Wan will eventually take that over. Wan's Aquaman run is more spectacular than either of the 2, which the Russo's had the luxury of buildup. Wan didn't really have that, AND he still did a billion. Underdog, baby.

quote:

Is Black Panther a sequel or a remake? Is Avatar? Is Titanic?

Honestly not sure if you think out your so called facts sometimes.

It IS a fact. You certainly need spoon feeding. I was using this guys post, which is correct:

We can look in other sense. Aquaman will end #20 WW and one of the 24 films which have done $1.1b, a not very exclusive club... but how many of the 19 films which are over Aquaman are not sequels/remakes? Avatar, Titanic, Black Panther and Frozen. Just 4 original films. So Aquaman will be the 5th biggest original film ever. Not bad I guess...

quote:
Gotcha. So why is WBs largest brand hitting a Billion such a big deal now?

Already been over this. It's still a milestone, especially with an unknown character, while following toxic films before it. Wan pulled it off. Impressive.

quote:
Winter Soldier did not have those Avengers in it.

Also you are seriously downplaying the Russos achievement here of introducing us to Black Panther and the MCU Spider-Men in Civil War, both of whom became massively popular from that film.

And dont tell me BP and SM are all the same franchise either Lmao.

No shit. CV did.

quote:

You denial is just that.

If they get a 2nd movie to hit the $2billion mark then they will be an exclusive club with James Cameron as the only other member. They are already in the exclusive $2bill club alongside Cameron and Abrams.

And you downplay Wan's. Go figure.

quote:

So now it was an already established brand?

Jeez make up your mind. You are all over the place.

Was the DCEU an established and successful brand already prior to Aquaman or not?

Make up you mind, and quit flip flopping according to what you are arguing in the moment.

You're getting established mixed up with successful. DCEU is an ESTABLISHED brand, not a successful one yet. At least with the critics and GA/WOM. Come on, man. Not hard to understand. Despite making solid numbers, the DCEU doesn't have the good will that the MCU had BEFORE the Russo's came on board.

quote:

Pretty sure Winter Soldier and Infinity War are 2 VERY Different franchises. Not to mention 2 Very Different films.

Being part of the same continuity doesnt make them the same. Unless you are claiming Man of Steel and Wonder Woman are the same franchise?

FFS, MAN. They are the SAME franchise, already pointed out in the Variety article. James Wan is in an elite club that he and James Cameron in.

quote:
But James Wan's upcoming honor is unique, as the director's two (possbile) $1 billion projects are disconnected from each other. James Cameron also did that, breaching the milestone with Titanic and Avatar. Of course, those movies help to define the film industry at the time, so Wan had worse odds. Add in the uneasy state of the DCEU and Aquaman's previously laughable reputation among comic book fans, and his possible victory is all the more impressive.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 07:26 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

oh, and to respond to this:

quote:
Its not that simple. With a larger domestic gross, not as much is needed worldwide to be profitable.

You, Me and Dupree was definitely profitable.

You, Me and Dupree was considered a disappointment at the BO, as was pointed out by the-numbers.com. It wasn't very profitable, and not even in the same class as Wan's successful low budget horror movies. Come back to me when the Russo's have success OUTSIDE of the MCU.

You mentioning You, Me and Dupree in the same sentence with Wan.

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Senor Cage on Jan 15th, 2019 at 07:48 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 07:42 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

oh, and to respond to this:

You, Me and Dupree was considered a disappointment at the BO, as was pointed out by the-numbers.com. It wasn't very profitable, and not even in the same class as Wan's successful low budget horror movies. Come back to me when the Russo's have success OUTSIDE of the MCU.

You mentioning You, Me and Dupree in the same sentence with Wan.

(please log in to view the image)

No, I was correcting false allegations that the Russos have had NO SUCCESS out side of the MCU, and your insinuation that Marvel movies is all they can do.

Get back to me when Wan does a $2billion film. And Watch out because the Russos might be coming up on two of them. Even if not certainly another 1.5bill+.

Or just when he makes a film as good as quality as Winter Soldier erm

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 15th, 2019 at 08:01 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 07:58 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Darth Thor
No, I was correcting false allegations that the Russos have had NO SUCCESS out side of the MCU, and your insinuation that Marvel movies is all they can do.

Get back to me when Wan does a $2billion film.

Or just when he makes a film as good as quality as Winter Soldier erm

No need to be salty. You haven't given me any movies outside of You, Me and Dupree, and that move did 20% on RT and bombed at the BO.

While Wan SUCCESSFULLY reinvented the horror genre and helped spawn a shit load of sequels for multiple horror franchises. Like I said earlier, night and day. Come back to me when the Russo's do that outside of the MCU.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:01 PM
Darth Thor

^ I think its quite clear whose salty.

I have no special attachment/bias to Marvel like you do to DC. And now your riding on this Wan > Russos idea which no one seems to be buying.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:03 PM
Senor Cage

You're defending a director who has yet to prove themselves outside of the MCU. That's pretty salty, baby. I've already proven to you who has had the overall better career. and it's Wan.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:05 PM
Senor Cage

And since you need the proof, the proof is in the pudding.

quote:
The race for second place was even closer than expected with Little Man topping You, Me & Dupree by a barely measurable $21.6 million to $21.5 million. The two films also earned similar reviews, although Dupree won that race with a mere 21% positive compared to 18% positive for Little Man. With neither film likely to make many critics Top Ten lists, their future's are a little hazy, but both films should end there runs with between $50 and $70 million. In the case of Little Man, this is in line with original expectations, but for You, Me & Dupree it is disappointing.

That movie BO run isn't even close to something like Conjuring or Saw. Just not close at all.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:07 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Love how you guys keep going way off ****ing topic.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:08 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

You're defending a director who has yet to prove themselves outside of the MCU. That's pretty salty, baby. I've already proven to you who has had the overall better career. and it's Wan.

No Im just calling out BS.

I called it out on the guys who claim Civil War was a solo movie, and now Im calling out your nonesense that Wan is Objectively > Russos despite the Russos having the bigger box office and making the better films (subjective but pretty universally agreed upon unlike your assertion).

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:08 PM
Senor Cage

Wan has had the bigger BO movies in more than 2 genres. That's more impressive. Russo's will probably get there, but we'll see.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:10 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by -Pr-
Love how you guys keep going way off ****ing topic.

Sorry. i'll get back on topic.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:10 PM
Darth Thor

And since you need the proof, the proof is in the pudding.

That movie BO run isn't even close to something like Conjuring or Saw. Just not close at all.

A nice accomplishment for sure. But also a very subjective comparison.

Now back to topic where would you rate Aquaman in terms of superhero films?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:13 PM
Senor Cage

In the middle, more or less. I liked it a little better the second time around. Probably won't ever see it again, though.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:15 PM
Darth Thor

Box office slowed down a lot. Will still pass TDKR to become the biggest DC film of all time. But dont see it catching Civil War now.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2019 06:36 PM
Senor Cage

quote:

Gitesh Pandya
@GiteshPandya
#Aquaman broke the $750M mark at the intl #boxoffice this wknd. $14.3M wknd pushing overseas cume to stellar $759.1M (led by China's $289.7M) raising global gross to $1.063B. Heading to about $1.14B final to become biggest DC film and 2nd largest WB pic of all-time.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2019 07:07 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Box office slowed down a lot. Will still pass TDKR to become the biggest DC film of all time. But dont see it catching Civil War now.

It still hasn't opened in Japan.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 05:53 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

It's already a massive hit and curbed every film it went against in December.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 06:15 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by abhilegend
It still hasn't opened in Japan.

I know which is why I said it will pass TDKR to become DCs biggest hit.

Originally posted by playa1258
It's already a massive hit and curbed every film it went against in December.

Yep, Disney should have ran this time laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 06:59 AM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

DC is averaging over $800 million a movie. Disney and everyone else needs an elite franchise to go against it.

MPR? Please....

Old Post Jan 21st, 2019 07:08 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote