KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » When was the existence of God 100% disproven?

When was the existence of God 100% disproven?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

When was the existence of God 100% disproven?

Can anyone cite a specific date or event? Someone in another thread mentioned the Scopes trial, but that didnt meet with much approval.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2016 04:49 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was never disproven.

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2016 05:53 AM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

The phone is still ringing.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2016 06:06 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

It can't be disproven. It's more of a what you believe situation.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2016 10:09 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Ironic. huh

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2016 10:21 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

How so?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 03:41 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Religion can't be disproven because it deals with the idea of an immaterial existence; science can only prove or disprove material concepts. Whether or not there's an invisible, omnipotent being who judges our also invisible souls after death is not a subject that can be physically put to the test, therefore it cannot be 100% disproven. Ever, really. Unless Zeus comes down from Mt. Olympus and proves that he's the real deity to be worshiped, or something of that nature.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 06:04 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
How so?

Because you have to have faith to not have faith.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 09:54 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

No, that's a misconception. By lacking faith (in a religious context), one simply believes in what can be observed and tested. To lack faith, one simply has to not have faith in what cannot be proven.

By having faith (in a religious context), one arbitrarily believes in an extraordinary existence that can neither observed nor tested. To have faith, one must always have faith that their beliefs are correct despite the fact that they cannot be proven to be.

Do you see the difference? Between the positive action which is the belief in the extraordinary, and the negative lack of action which is the nonbelief in the extraordinary?

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jul 24th, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 10:35 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Though IMO the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Thus if I'm saying "There is this all powerful entity that exists" I feel the burden of proof would be on me and I'd feel more than "well you can't disprove it" would be needed.

You can't disprove an anal bead didn't somehow gain sentience in the future, travel back in time, and create the universe.

Last edited by Surtur on Jul 24th, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2016 10:39 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So...the existence of God hasnt been 100% disproven then. Good to know.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 05:14 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Considering how reasonable you seem to act ordinarily, I have no idea who or why you're trying to troll here.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 11:42 AM
riv6672

Not trolling, just wondering.

I get the whole burden of proof/proving a negative thing, but thats been discussed to death in various threads here.
Thats not a dead horse i'm looking to beat.

I was wondering, actually wondering, if any atheist here could point to a specific event they credited with disproving God's existence.

I've seen the opposite asked and seen answers like "a baby being born", "the glory of a sunrise", and even "ears are in the perfect place to hold up our glasses, thats not random".
Yeah, those are kinda lame, sorry.
Figured i'd get something more concrete going in the opposite direction.

And, just so we get off on the right foot, my basic rule of thumb is:
don't like my threads dont post to them.

I do the same, in this forum and all the others here.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 12:00 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by riv6672
Not trolling, just wondering.

I get the whole burden of proof/proving a negative thing, but thats been discussed to death in various threads here. Thats not a dead horse i'm looking to beat.

While that idea can be connected to what I said, it wasn't the point. My second post was addressing your comment about how one needed to have faith not to have faith--and how that is indeed self contradictory.

quote:
I was wondering, actually wondering, if any atheist here could point to a specific event they credited with disproving God's existence.

Well, as I addressed in my first post, that's impossible.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 02:01 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So...the existence of God hasnt been 100% disproven then. Good to know.

Correct, just like our anal bead overlord hasn't been 100% disproven either. Whether or not that is also good to know is, I suppose, up to you.

Last edited by Surtur on Jul 25th, 2016 at 02:17 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 02:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

@last 2 posts

Yeah its a funny ol' world.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 10:43 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

No, of course not, "100%" proof either way is a bit nonsensical. But that's not what atheism is. Though imo, certain posters on this forum come close to disproving God by their very existence. wink

Your inquiry is somewhat common though. I've encountered it irl more than once. The "you can't prove a negative, so how are you an atheist?" challenge. If that's one's view of atheism, it's no wonder many see it as in defiance of reason. But it misconstrues the argument quite crucially.

Much like people, even something as seemingly singular as atheism can mean subtly different things. For some, they frame it in terms of belief, as you mentioned earlier. So they might say "I don't know for sure, but I believe there is no God." The other primary option is a lack of belief, which is indeed different. Do you have a belief on the omniscient space gnome behind your couch? Of course not. You simply lack any belief whatsoever on it, and indeed you lack a belief for an infinite number of hypotheticals. For many atheists, and I count myself among them, it's simply a lack of belief in a God or gods.

Both of those have been stated elsewhere in this thread. But I thought I'd rephrase it in my own way. As for burden of proof, the default philosophical position for any of us on any matter is a lack of belief...we're not born with a positive or negative belief for or against anything. So the burden is on the claimant, not the one who maintains the lack of belief.

Last edited by Digi on Jul 25th, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 11:01 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Any other theist is welcome to answer.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2016 11:08 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

If you think it might be worth your time, here's an excellent video that extrapolates on what I said:

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 12:30 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Love that video. A classic of the genre.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 01:53 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote