KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » When was the existence of God 100% disproven?

When was the existence of God 100% disproven?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
If you think it might be worth your time, here's an excellent video that extrapolates on what I said:

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Love that video. A classic of the genre.

Yeah, I've posted it like half a dozen times in this forum throughout the years. It's amazingly thorough and cogent.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 02:15 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Not an answer, but interesting.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 04:17 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by riv6672
I was wondering, actually wondering, if any atheist here could point to a specific event they credited with disproving God's existence.
Conditions aboard a slave ship? The Holocaust? Jordanian pilot Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh being burnt to death in a cage? Any young child that's been kidnapped, raped and tortured?

I ask because the question, IMHO, asks for the proving of a negative which, in this instance, seems pre-set to show "it can't be done, so you atheists lose."

I am not an atheist, btw. And while I believe the points I've raised in past discussion have some merit (and some have been raised as well by others in this thread, eg, requiring material proof of an immaterial entity not being fair), I also readily admit that in any debate between an atheist and theist, the lack of *evidence* weighs heavily in the atheist's favor, and that for the theist it is an uphill fight every inch of the way.

In any event, if I may: simply for purposes of illustration, what (fictional) event might you conjure up as an example?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 02:32 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Mindship
Conditions aboard a slave ship? The Holocaust? Jordanian pilot Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh being burnt to death in a cage? Any young child that's been kidnapped, raped and tortured?

The Problem of Evil is not really a good argument against the Christian God. The Bible is very specific on that man—through free will—brought evil into the world. If God would've made man incapable of committing evil then it would be a compromise of his free will.

Furthermore Christians don't think of God as good because he eliminates evil wherever he can, but instead because he offers an avenue to a world without evil.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 03:00 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

^ Agreed. But I wasn't aware that the OP was referring specifically or exclusively to the Christian God. My bad if I missed that. Generally, in these threads (unless specifically mentioned), I interpret *God* more generically.

Interesting: when I tried to quote your post, that function didn't work.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 03:12 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just saying..is it a coincidence rosaries have BEADS too?! Anal bead Jesus ftw.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 03:15 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 03:41 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?"

quote:
The Problem of Evil is not really a good argument against the Christian God. The Bible is very specific on that man—through free will—brought evil into the world. If God would've made man incapable of committing evil then it would be a compromise of his free will.

This never made any sense. If there is such a thing as free will, then there is no such thing as an all-powerful god, and vice versa.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:14 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If someone knows what you are going to do before you do it..if they know what everyone everywhere is going to do before they do it..then free will doesn't exist.

A person would have to choose the path God has already seen, because if they don't he is wrong and thus not a God at all.

Also in the bible the evil is also brought into the world because God wanted to keep us naive as f*ck. But you see it's never quite framed that way. It's framed in a way that us being ignorant was a GOOD thing because only God should have knowledge while we should run around naked frolicking in the fields all day being impressed by the shape of the clouds.

Last edited by Surtur on Jul 26th, 2016 at 07:24 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:19 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
It was never disproven.

thumb up

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:40 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But what about the anal bead man? What about the anal bead?!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:44 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Surtur
If someone knows what you are going to do before you do it..if they know what everyone everywhere is going to do before they do it..then free will doesn't exist.

Only if you believe that there is only one path, but we know, for example from scientific extrapolation, that each decision has at least two possible outcomes (yes vs no situation), and from thee then it branches out to other outcomes and then to other outcomes etc. Even the smalles decision creates alternate possibilities, but only one solidifies into the real world.(I said yes, rather than saying no etc.)

God per definition knows ALL possible outcomes simultaneously, and thus whatever you choose, he already knows the outcome thumb up Thus he knows what bring you good in the long run, and what does not.

Last edited by Stigma on Jul 26th, 2016 at 07:49 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:45 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

But what about the anal bead man? What about the anal bead?!

Why are you so anal about it? wink

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:46 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Stigma
Only if you believe that there is only one path, but we know, for example from scientific extrapolation, that each decision has at least two possible outcomes (yes vs no situation), and from thee then it branches out to other outcomes and then to other outcomes etc. Even the smalles decision creates alternate possibilities, but only one solidifies into the real world.(I said yes, rather than saying no etc.)

God per definition knows ALL possible outcomes simultaneously, and thus whatever you choose, he already knows the outcome thumb up

Why is this only if you believe there is a single path? Why does the number of paths matter if God knows every single one of them?

Also someone truly all knowing would always know which of the two possible outcomes would happen.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 07:50 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Why is this only if you believe there is a single path? Why does the number of paths matter if God knows every single one of them?

Also someone truly all knowing would always know which of the two possible outcomes would happen.

Um... that is pretty much what I said in my previous post.

Yes, God knows all possibilites and that does not negate free will.

You choose whatever you want. God knows if your choice is for better or worse, but he does not infringe on your free will.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 08:03 PM
FinalAnswer
Flower

Originally posted by NewGuy01
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?"

This never made any sense. If there is such a thing as free will, then there is no such thing as an all-powerful god, and vice versa.

Lmao at applying human notions of morality to an all powerful all seeing deity.

Howdy!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 09:38 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by FinalAnswer

But in the bible at least did all our notions of morality not supposedly come from God? Who did the 10 commandments come from?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 09:57 PM
riv6672

^ Agreed. But I wasn't aware that the OP was referring specifically or exclusively to the Christian God. My bad if I missed that. Generally, in these threads (unless specifically mentioned), I interpret *God* more generically.

Interesting: when I tried to quote your post, that function didn't work.

You should read things more carefully before you dismount your high horse and step onto your soapbox. laughing

Old Post Jul 26th, 2016 10:54 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

I ask because the question, IMHO, asks for the proving of a negative which, in this instance, seems pre-set to show "it can't be done, so you atheists lose."

Just to chime in, but negatives can be proven. It's a common misconception it is somehow impossible.

For example, logical negative: married bachelors do not exist. We can prove that.

Or empirical negative: ther are no dinosaurs living in Europe in this day and age. We can prove that.

I also readily admit that in any debate between an atheist and theist, the lack of *evidence* weighs heavily in the atheist's favor, and that for the theist it is an uphill fight every inch of the way.

Which is not the case at all. It leaves us with agnosticism at best.

Also, philosophical and logical claims constitute proof too. And there is a number of premises that show belief in God is supported.

Moreover, one could say that the existence of reality itself is a proof enough that a Superior Being exists (not necessarily Christian God) aka an argument from the origins of the universe.

Last edited by Stigma on Jul 27th, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Old Post Jul 27th, 2016 12:16 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by FinalAnswer

I too find the idea ridiculous. However, the God described in the Christian bible undoubtedly does act on love, anger, so on, and frequently so. He also supposedly wrote an objective sense of morality (his law) into the depths of our hearts, besides. I don't think it's any more inconsistent to call him malevolent because of the misfortunate than it is to call him benevolent because of the fortunate.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2016 04:41 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote