KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » New THANOS ongoing this fall

New THANOS ongoing this fall
Started by: GalacticStorm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Why can't it ever just be a 'normal' series that focuses on building Thanos' character, and giving him more depth? Why does he always have to be after some 'all powerful' trinket or w/e? It's just an overplayed and boring plot at this point, imo... But I suppose that is par for the course with Marvel nowadays. sad

Even though it didn't seem to be well-received, I actually enjoyed the Thanos Rising miniseries because it expanded on his character quite a bit. Gave us a decent backstory, and showed us how he evolved into the death-worshiping planet-conqueror we've come to know over the years... I'm probably in the minority with that one, though. Seems like a lot of people are all about "teh FEATS!!!!!1111!1!!!" these days, and don't give a rip about quality storytelling.

Meh.

Before that, I'd say the best Thanos story since Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade is Giffen's run, as it was about Thanos as a character just wandering around really and seeing how he acted in the weird situation he found at the Kyln.

The fact that Lemire said that run and Thanos Rising are big influences on this series gives me a bit of hope.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Aug 4th, 2016 09:51 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

What would you even do with Thanos? In Rising we followed the events that made him turn evil—it was a bad story and it made me lose a lot of respect for the character, but at the very least there was a point to the story.

But as Thanos is now, what would he do if not seek personal power? And what interesting stories could be told if he sought power but didn't obtain it? Unlike characters like Dr. Doom or Magneto Thanos isn't a sociopolitical leader. There's nothing that Thanos cares for other than personal power and his relation to Death; and it's not like you can threaten Death.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2016 04:02 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Eh, the Giffen run was good and didn't have Thanos searching for power. Albeit, it was only a six issue run but the way it just inserted Thanos as a dramatic agent into these situations made for a good story.

I think it's just super easy to fall into the trap of 'Thanos once again searches for power' which is dull and played out at this point. I mean, an example of a series which has done more with a character with simple motivations is the current Drax book. I mean it's not prestige comic writing or anything but it's a fun adventure book with a cool supporting cast based around Drax.

The problem with Thanos currently is (imo) writers are kinda forced to pen him into the ultimate villain role and as such just retread. It's pretty telling that the Starlin/Giffen series he had that was the best Thanos stuff since the Infinity saga was at a time when Marvel were happy to let the character have moved on from searching for power or pleasing Death.

Plus Lemire has talked about how the book will look at Thanos' relationship with some of his family like Starfox, Thane and Gamora, which could be good. Either way, it'll be different which is what a Thanos story needs to be right now

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Aug 17th, 2016 01:51 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
golem370

I would personally liked to have seen a few pages dedicated to his fight with the Ovin Mercs based on their reputation Thanos eluded too a good bloody massacre of the army.

Juggernaut66666 made sig

Old Post Aug 20th, 2016 02:31 AM
golem370 is currently offline Click here to Send golem370 a Private Message Find more posts by golem370 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

I think this story could be good if it's a true Death vs Rebirth scenario and not gaining again story.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 08:55 PM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

A Thanos book could be a good platform for cosmic stuff.

Like the pre-annihilation mini, Thanos could function as both an agent of change or simply an observer.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Oct 15th, 2016 10:37 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Interesting way to start the series...

(please log in to view the image)

Sidenote:
Why were every character's arms/hands laughably massive in this book?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2016 07:39 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

That's pressure.

He's not dying, he's expressing shock at his shrimping head.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Nov 16th, 2016 08:32 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Sidenote:
Why were every character's arms/hands laughably massive in this book?

Something something...Trump...haven't pieced it all together yet

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2016 09:17 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote