KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Luke Cage (Netflix)

Luke Cage (Netflix)
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

You realise that stopping a multi-ton SUV, which seemed to be accelerating after turning the corner, would require strength well beyond the 1-ton level right?

And Jessica herself stopped a taxi, looking to be going around 30mph, early on in her own series. And with one hand, IIRC. She also casually broke countless heavy locks, padlocks etc. with one hand throughout the series (ask even the strongest men in the world to easily break a proper padlock with one hand, and see how far they get), casually lifted and held the back of a car that was trying to drive off, and even effortlessly snapped out of a pair of police handcuffs at one point. So she had some decent strength levels. She just lacked any real fighting skill.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Aug 27th, 2016 at 07:59 AM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2016 07:57 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

She also ripped a police car door off it's hinges to use as a shield against Luke.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2016 08:11 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Jessica using the car door as a shield against Luke is both impressive and stupid at the same time

Old Post Aug 28th, 2016 02:21 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

It was pretty stupid, considering he just ripped it out of her hands. laughing

Which again also proved who is stronger between the two.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2016 03:48 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I love how he drops these guys with almost no visible effort. Based on this, and some of the other clips we've seen so far (like the guy breaking his fist in the shop, the SUV stop, and Luke steamrolling through those thugs in that hallway), he's going to be an absolute tank.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2016 08:24 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I'm actually curious as to who is fighting Cage at 2:07 in the main trailer, because he seems to be giving him some trouble. It almost looks like it could be the guy being played by Theo Rossi.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2016 09:35 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Reviews are all glowing so far:

quote:
Den of Geek!— Mike Cecchini

Oh, and the tunes! The glorious tunes! This probably shouldn’t be a surprise considering that showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker wrote for Rolling Stone, Vibe, The Source, and XXL, but music plays the most active role in a superhero production since Guardians of the Galaxy. The show’s mix of rap, R&B gems, and deep blues cuts is tremendous (John Lee Hooker’s I’m Bad Like Jesse James is quietly used to extraordinary effect in one scene). Equally impressive is the original score by Adrian Younge (the Black Dynamite soundtrack) and A Tribe Called Quest’s Ali Shaheed Muhammad, which adds a perfect veneer of 70s style to the proceedings.
Comics Beat— Kyle Pinion

One of the best aspects of each of Marvel’s Netflix offerings is the richness of their villains, as both Fisk and Kilgrave proved to be menacing and mostly multi-faceted creations that blow away their big screen counterparts, save for Loki. But again, both The Kingpin and The Purple Man are well-crafted characters that have much to draw from, regardless of how exceptional both D’Onofrio and David Tennant’s performances were. So when I say that Mahershala Ali’s Stokes is easily their equal, if not even more richly defined, that achievement is a both a credit to what’s on the script page and just what sort of meditative ferocity Ali is able to conjure behind this figure, who is at once terrifying and incredibly sympathetic. This is a character so rich that, while being the clear antagonist of the series’ machinations, one can’t help but be amazed at the moral gray tones that he’s swathed in.
Heroic Hollywood — Andy Behbakht

If I were to describe Luke Cage with just one word: it would be soul. Not just the character of Luke, but the show itself with all of its characters, the story that it is telling and more. There is a lot of great and fun action because let’s face it, when you are dealing with a superhero who is unbreakable and super-strong, you are in for a treat. The tone of the series also do fit in quite nicely within the MCU, while being able to stand on its own, but again, definitely matches this big world that Marvel Studios has built.
Collider — Allison Keene

Like we saw glimpses of in Jessica Jones, [Mike Colter] gives Cage a sense of reticence mixed with righteous defiance that hits all the right notes for a hero who uses his strength only as a last resort, and he does so in low tones and with a casual confidence. Though Cage isn’talways confident, he’s extremely principled with a magnetic charisma, making him a kind of Captain America to this ragtag group of vigilantes. Though he may struggle to define his heroism and what it means for himself and Harlem, there are no complications for viewers. He is the hero we’ve been waiting for.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 06:25 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah, I've checked out a couple of other early reviews as well, and they've all been quite positive.

Also, this.

I seriously cringed seeing the full extent of that break.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 07:48 PM
Darth Thor

So this is available tomorrow right?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 06:16 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah, 30th September. I'm pretty keen. All the reviews I've read have been positive.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 06:24 PM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

you're keen? Are you from the 1950s, pal? stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 06:28 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I am literally the world's biggest nerd for knowing this, but the common usage of that word predates the 1950s by some margin. I really need a more exciting job. laughing

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 29th, 2016 at 07:01 PM

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 06:59 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Can't wait. I'm sure I wont be the only person marathoning this.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 07:22 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 08:33 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Hoping this is as least as good; if not better than J Jones. Am hyped.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 10:19 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

not all that hyped but will watch

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 29th, 2016 10:52 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

Get hyped Bruce-o, getting f**king hyped right now.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 30th, 2016 12:01 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Confirmed racist.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 30th, 2016 12:33 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

3 episodes in and the show is really great much better than Jessica Jones. It seems that they went the same route with a villain much closer to the neighborhood/characters like They did in DD and Jessica Jones. Cottonmouth is a pretty cool gangster yet introspective guy with a code of honor. Overall he first few episodes were great

Old Post Sep 30th, 2016 09:09 AM
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Gonna be binging this tonight with some Whisky Sours and Mountain Mike's pizza.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Sep 30th, 2016 01:24 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote