KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Introduction to religion

Introduction to religion
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Introduction to religion

How/when were you introduced to religion?
IYO when's the best age/whats the best way to introduce children to the concept of religion?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2016 01:55 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

- It was just "always there," part of my growing up.
- This way seemed just fine for myself, siblings, cousins, friends. It was just part of our intro into life.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2016 09:39 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
- This way seemed just fine for myself, siblings, cousins, friends. It was just part of our intro into life.

Same here, but it wasn't until years later that I realized that I could choose what religion I was in.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2016 06:18 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
immaturerainbow
Straight V I B I N G

My parent's were always religious, actually most of my family is. Unfortunately they are disappointed in me because after years of listening to it, I came to terms that I simply cannot believe it.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2016 06:45 AM
immaturerainbow is currently offline Click here to Send immaturerainbow a Private Message Find more posts by immaturerainbow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by immaturerainbow
My parent's were always religious, actually most of my family is. Unfortunately they are disappointed in me because after years of listening to it, I came to terms that I simply cannot believe it.

I'm sorry, but I understand. When I became a Buddhist, my brother would not talk to me for years.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2016 05:21 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Ah, thanks for replying!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2016 01:41 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Are your siblings very religious?

Old Post Dec 12th, 2016 02:29 PM
bluewaterrider

Re: Introduction to religion

Originally posted by riv6672

IYO when's the best age/whats the best way to introduce children to the concept of religion?

If you're a parent, taking them with you to Church from Day One, modeling the behavior you're supposed to when you're out of it, limiting the type of media they're exposed to, studying the text every day you can with them, and making sure you maintain a good relationship with your spouse, if you have one. I recommend the Authorized King James Version of the Bible as the text to study , of course, because

1) I've never found it to be wrong on anything to date, and challenge anyone to show me a case where it is
2) Even anti-religious atheists like Richard Dawkins praise Christianity as more benign than a religion like Islam, whose texts advocate jihad
3) Groups like the 7th Day Adventists, who are CLOSE, but not quite right, yet because they follow a lot of proscribed KJV Bible teachings in regards to diet etcetera, have been statistically found to be among the healthiest communities,
4) because relatively fair-minded atheists like Stephan Molyneux freely admit that the Church has, arguably, the best prescription for healthy individuals, family, and society.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2016 12:09 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Incredibly interesting, thank you.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2016 06:37 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, pretty much this for me, too...

My dad is still a fundamentalist Christian to this day (my mom has since rejected a lot of that dogma, but still loves the Bible), so you better believe I grew up going to church, and even went to Christian middle school and high school hearing plenty of the fire and brimstone bullshit. My oldest brother was OCD and eventually really started taking much of the Christian dogma to heart and really turned full blown schizophrenic and killed himself 11 years ago this May 5th. Would he have been crazy without the religion? Possibly, but I have no doubt in my mind that he was made exponentially worse because of Dogmatic Christian Bullshit. So I was pretty similar to my oldest brother and actually felt a lot of the same thoughts/feelings sinking in (especially going to Christian high school), but was fortunate enough to see how much it tore my brother apart from the inside out, so I was able to break away and reject it.

That being said, I have been on a few Medical Mission trips with my dad (he's a Pediatrician) and they were some of the best experiences of my life (I of course skip the "mission" portion of it, but the "medical" portion is amazing). I went to Peru and Trinidad with him a few years ago. We actually were on a boat on the Amazon River in Peru. It was amazing.

So needless to say, I'm quite anti-Christian or any fundamental religion and lean more toward. People in this country are brainwashed to be afraid of Muslim terrorists, but I'm just as scared of Christian fundamentalists, and now we have faux fundamentalists in our highest offices. Wolves in sheep's clothing. It's terrifying. These people don't listen to science, logic, reason, facts. They've even coined the phrase "Alternative Facts."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 03:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thanks for the Bump.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 09:18 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You're welcome.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
So needless to say, I'm quite anti-Christian or any fundamental religion and lean more toward...

...Buddhism if anything.

(Forgot to finish my thought there, not that anyone actually noticed or cared.)

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2017 08:52 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Noticed. Didnt care.
Thanks again.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 05:30 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Are your siblings very religious?
Mine? No. Just "conventionally so," eg, more/less observing the major holidays.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 10:50 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Noticed. Didnt care.
Thanks again.

(please log in to view the image)

You even stand out amongst other fellow internet trolls.

Attachment: you sir.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 01:50 PM
riv6672

^^^If so, then you must rank highly on the dumbass scale, as you keep voluntarily interacting with me.

I really didnt care, as this is an old thread i'd lost interest in, and meandering half formed posts are nothing unique on an MB.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 01:55 PM
riv6672

Mine? No. Just "conventionally so," eg, more/less observing the major holidays.

Gotcha. Thanks, man.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 01:56 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

And an unnecessary double-post. Your douchery knows no bounds.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 01:59 PM
riv6672

And voluntarily interracting with someone you consider a troll.
Your lack of maturity is average.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 02:10 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would respond to riv, but he's got me on ignore..you know, like a mature person? Lol.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 02:20 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote