KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Mummy (2017)

The Mummy (2017)
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 8 9 [10]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I went in expecting this to be a total bomb scare of a movie and I actually enjoyed it. There's a fair amount of crappy CGI but a few excellent scenes. Lots of references to potential other movies but given that its crashing in hindenberg proportions at the box office then there might not be any others. Didn't know that Russell Crowe was [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Jekyll & Hyde in this which was a pleasant surprise.

A decent 6/10 for me

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 21st, 2017 08:04 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
prabhash.s
Restricted

Account Restricted

The mummy was good but i still prefer the old mummy series to be the best

Old Post Jul 13th, 2017 10:25 AM
prabhash.s is currently offline Click here to Send prabhash.s a Private Message Find more posts by prabhash.s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
Just got back from it and while its nowhere near as bad as a 17%, it is very bland.
Ahmanet doesn't have the same presence as Imhotep, it isn't as fun or adventurous as the Brendan Frasier movies, and there isn't anywhere near that sense of adventure or the Indiana Jones-esque moments of the Frasier films. The entire film is basically just Ahmanet trying to get the dagger coz reasons, and it just seemed to drag on

5/10

I just saw it and yeah, I tend to agree with this. There are some fun sequences particularly at the beginning, like the opening in Iraq and the plane sequence. The first 3rd was fun to me but it sort of dissolves into everything revolving around Tom Cruise and with some awkward shifts in tone/humor. It's ultimately too silly to take seriously and not silly enough to be self-aware and fun. There is some surprisingly dark imagery, and nice use of light and shadow and color for dramatic effect, but there are also some awkward shifts in tone that I think are attempts at humor. The beginning was more promising than the rest of the film delivered I thought.

It's still relatively fun to sit through to kill 2 hours, but I'm definitely glad I didn't give this any money at the box office.

5-6/10.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2017 01:03 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I look forward to watching the RedLetterMedia review...

This is a pretty hilarious dismantling of the film and Tom Cruise as a movie star. thumb up

It's pretty much what I suspected from the looks of the trailers and everything, which is why I neglected to support it at the box office. It's a pathetic attempt to start some Marvel-esque universe in the World market that actually just alienates horror fans who might actually be interested in these classic movie monsters getting a decent resurrection. I agree, it would have been a good idea to scale the budget back and do some legit horror movies instead of goofy action films.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Aug 7th, 2017 at 01:04 PM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2017 01:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

it would have been a good idea to scale the budget back and do some legit horror movies instead of goofy action films.

This movie was basically made for China, and their bullshit censors don't allow a lot of overt horror movie tropes, hence this going way more in the sci-fi action direction.

Hopefully they learn their lesson and build the rest of the Universe actually around the monsters with more of a horror theme, and have western audiences in mind.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 7th, 2017 08:14 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Hopefully they learn their lesson and build the rest of the Universe actually around the monsters with more of a horror theme, and have western audiences in mind.

I don't think they are going to learn that lesson. It made money. Boxofficemojo. Probably not the massive blow-out they were hoping for, but it definitely made money, mostly overseas.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 01:38 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

This movie was basically made for China, and their bullshit censors don't allow a lot of overt horror movie tropes, hence this going way more in the sci-fi action direction.

I've seen some pretty graphic horror movies from China.
Themes Hollywood wouldn't even touch.

Doesn't make much sense either that Hollywood would be catering for the Chinese market knowing fully well it would be censored in the process.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 02:29 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I've seen some pretty graphic horror movies from China.
Themes Hollywood wouldn't even touch.

Doesn't make much sense either that Hollywood would be catering for the Chinese market knowing fully well it would be censored in the process.

Violence isn't the issue, it's anything having to do with spirits, and a lot of supernatural elements.

I'd have to search for the article again, but some of the people working on the film said they had China in mind the whole way through, and even tweaked a lot of the dialogue so it's easier to translate into Chinese.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 03:06 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I don't think they are going to learn that lesson. It made money. Boxofficemojo. Probably not the massive blow-out they were hoping for, but it definitely made money, mostly overseas.

Probably not, unfortunately, money is the only thing that talks.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 03:07 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, China doesn't allow shit with ghosts and whatnot. That's why Ghostbusters (2016) wasn't allowed to play there and it flopped big time as a result.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 03:15 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Violence isn't the issue, it's anything having to do with spirits, and a lot of supernatural elements.

I still don't understand where you're coming from...

Chinese horror films are filled with ghosts, spirits & supernatural themes.

Death Is Here- About a woman who sees ghosts.

The Eye 10- A game that allows players to see ghosts & spirits.

Dead Sign- A couple who stumbles across a village that practices witchcraft.

A Chinese Ghost Story.

Under The Bed 1,2,3

The Devil Inside

The Haunted Cinema

Old Post Aug 9th, 2017 01:26 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Maybe it's foreign ghosts stories they don't like? confused

Old Post Aug 9th, 2017 12:04 PM
John Mathew

Best horror movie.
I was really scared while watching this.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 06:39 AM
John Mathew is currently offline Click here to Send John Mathew a Private Message Find more posts by John Mathew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Probably not, unfortunately, money is the only thing that talks.

ppl talk.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 10:29 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by John Mathew
I was really scared while watching this.

So was I. The thought that they might be making a sequel to this scares the hell out of me.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 11:09 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 11:30 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kingzcq

Tom Cruise is still so handsome, but nothing more

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2017 08:43 AM
kingzcq is currently offline Click here to Send kingzcq a Private Message Find more posts by kingzcq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
surajvines
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tom cruise is really amazing

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:49 AM
surajvines is currently offline Click here to Send surajvines a Private Message Find more posts by surajvines Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Maybe it's foreign ghosts stories they don't like? confused

Without bringing in the rampant inconsistency that exists, I know that in the past they've had trouble with resurrection. If something is dead and stays dead, they usually go softer on it.

Anything sexual in relation to the ghosts though, usually gets a ban.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 09:04 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote