KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Budokai vs Tenkaichi

Budokai vs Tenkaichi
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Budokai vs Tenkaichi

Everyone says Tenkaichi feels more like the anime.

But I don't remember EVERY fight being so.. spastic. Sure, there's moments, but the entire series seems to replicate one or two high spot moments, and ignores the more conventional, down to earth fighting styles that Budokai recreates..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2016 10:37 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Budokai vs Tenkaichi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm

But I don't remember EVERY fight being so.. spastic. Sure, there's moments, but the entire series seems to replicate one or two high spot moments, and ignores the more conventional, down to earth fighting styles that Budokai recreates..
DBZ is about high-flying, all-over-the-place fights.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 PERFECTLY captures that.

The only entirely grounded and non-spastic fight I can think of, is Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz.

And also Goku vs Jeice and Burter.

ONLY TWO FIGHTS I can think of that mimic Budokai.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 4th, 2016 11:03 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Re: Budokai vs Tenkaichi

Originally posted by Jmanghan
DBZ is about high-flying, all-over-the-place fights.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 PERFECTLY captures that.

The only entirely grounded and non-spastic fight I can think of, is Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz.

And also Goku vs Jeice and Burter.

ONLY TWO FIGHTS I can think of that mimic Budokai.

You could fight flying around and teleporting just fine in Budokai. But you don't get the hands waving all over the place, kids on a sugar high style of fighting all that often like Tenkaichi does it.

Look at Goku vs early Freeza or Vegeta in the anime. You could make out punches, kicks, and movements there. You can actually tell what's going on.

Tenkaichi think s EVERY melee is like Vegeta wailing on Captain Ginyu in Goku's body, or Piccolo and Goku spastically waving at Brolly and not doing anything.

Basically, if Tenkaichi was a wrestling game, it would be nothing but "high spots" (Think stunts, like a Frog Splash, or some Lucha style cartwheel out of the ring.)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2016 11:29 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Re: Re: Budokai vs Tenkaichi

You could fight flying around and teleporting just fine in Budokai. But you don't get the hands waving all over the place, kids on a sugar high style of fighting all that often like Tenkaichi does it.

Look at Goku vs early Freeza or Vegeta in the anime. You could make out punches, kicks, and movements there. You can actually tell what's going on.

Tenkaichi think s EVERY melee is like Vegeta wailing on Captain Ginyu in Goku's body, or Piccolo and Goku spastically waving at Brolly and not doing anything.

Basically, if Tenkaichi was a wrestling game, it would be nothing but "high spots" (Think stunts, like a Frog Splash, or some Lucha style cartwheel out of the ring.)
But it was SLOW.

DBZ is known for fast-paced, over-the-top, terrain-destroying action.

Which you just can't do in Budokai.

What you get in Budokai is similar to the early fights, all the way up to the Android Saga.

What you get in Tenkaichi is everything from the Cell Saga to the End of Z, as well as Super.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2016 03:00 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Budokai was a better fighting game though. It had better mechanics, better detection animations, better moves, and better innovations like the beam clash, and the super techniques just being more fun.

They dropped that in Tenkaichi so you could have a more open world, but everything else felt basic.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2016 04:33 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by KingD19
Budokai was a better fighting game though. It had better mechanics, better detection animations, better moves, and better innovations like the beam clash, and the super techniques just being more fun.

They dropped that in Tenkaichi so you could have a more open world, but everything else felt basic.
I mean, what you said is subjective.

One thing is to be said.

Can't beat that character roster...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2016 05:21 AM
cdtm

Full GT roster is pretty neat.

All you really need is Hercule. smile

Old Post Sep 7th, 2016 12:17 AM
Demonic Phoenix

Budokai is a far better fighting game. There is no contest.

I had way more fun with Budokai Tenkaichi 3 though. Split screen is ass however.

Because Budokai Tenkaichi gives you a 3d environment to move around in. Budokai is restricted to 2d. That made it more immersive to me.

Also, DBZ was down to earth to you?

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Sep 7th, 2016 07:54 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Budokai is a far better fighting game. There is no contest.

I had way more fun with Budokai Tenkaichi 3 though. Split screen is ass however.

Because Budokai Tenkaichi gives you a 3d environment to move around in. Budokai is restricted to 2d. That made it more immersive to me.

Also, DBZ was down to earth to you?

"Realtively" speaking, as anime goes.

It varied though. The ultra insane choreography was usually relegated to the nothing fights, while main battles like Cell, Freeza, Vegeta, or even Buu were more methodically, deliberately paced out.

And wish they'd release an hd remake of Tenkaichi, because the prices are pretty insane now for the 3rd one. Just like Budokai 3 was before the HD pack, and Infinite World is working it's way up to..

Funny how Tenkaichi 2 is a totally reasonable 20 bucks second hand, when it's not "that" much of a step down over 3..

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 8th, 2016 at 12:53 AM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2016 12:48 AM
cdtm

Soo...

How do the Tenkaichi clones stack up, anyways?

Let's say I wanted to give the that style of gameplay another chance, but didn't want to spend 70-100 dollars on Tenkaichi 3 (I regret selling Smash Bros. Melee when it was only 15 dollar's, too. Hindsight's a *****.)

What would you recommend? Raging Blast, Xenoverse, what?

Old Post Sep 9th, 2016 12:41 AM
Jmanghan

Raging Blast is the best Tenkaichi clone, but the controls are weird.

As for the best Budokai clone, DBZ: Burst Limit is your best bet.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2016 02:03 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The only thing i disliked about Tenkaichi, Was how you had to do the scan thing to get a lock on the other opponent every so often.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2016 02:41 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Originally posted by Kazenji
The only thing i disliked about Tenkaichi, Was how you had to do the scan thing to get a lock on the other opponent every so often.

I loved that! I always used First Form Frieza and since he had a Scouter I would pretty much auto lock on the opponent as long as they aren't Androids. So I would run and hide as the match was starting so they would have trouble locking on to me. Then I would spam Ki blasts like a dick laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Sep 10th, 2016 08:18 AM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Budokai and Burst Limit crap on Tenkaichi and Xenoverse

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Sep 12th, 2016 07:07 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Tenkaichi games better capture the feel of the series. You can fly around the level..destroy buildings, etc.

With the Budokai fighting games it was just your standard street fighter type game. You couldn't really explore the levels or anything, you could just kinda fly straight up into the air.

Nothing beats being able to fly underwater, etc. and just go around the level raining down destruction.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2016 11:23 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

There was one of them that had the entire DBZ+GT roster, and you could do capsule customization, that one was my favorite.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Sep 13th, 2016 11:11 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
There was one of them that had the entire DBZ+GT roster, and you could do capsule customization, that one was my favorite.
Tenkaichi 3.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2016 01:00 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

The thing I didn't like about the Tenkaichi series is that everyone is controlled the same. It was too shallow compared to the budokai series.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 15th, 2016 01:28 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
The thing I didn't like about the Tenkaichi series is that everyone is controlled the same. It was too shallow compared to the budokai series.
They all fight the same in DB/DBZ/DBZ.

Its no traditional Martial Arts, after DB, all the "styles" disappeared.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2016 01:30 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Adam Grimes

Even in Budokai, most of the characters had a lot of the same looking moves, like throw and melee attack animations (ki blast specials were the main exception to this), just they were given different names.

Take off them nostalgia glasses son.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2016 02:05 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote