KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What are the greatest scientific feats that we will see in the near future?

What are the greatest scientific feats that we will see in the near future?
Started by: Ascendancy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scribble

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
But we DO need to look at kids these days. They kind of will be running the country soon. People think Trump is bad? Imagine 3 decades from now..where our sitting president throws a hissy fit on tv over halloween costumes. Or when our sitting president retreats from some kind of political debate to run off to a safe space because their poor delicate wittle feelings heard something that makes them uncomfortable.

Or when play-doh and bubbles become staples of the oval office.
To be fair, I think those kind of people are still in the minority

...For now

Last edited by Scribble on Sep 14th, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:16 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by jaden101
Peer reviewed paper on the EMDrive very soon and a space test within 6 months. A technology that, on paper, breaks newton's third law and no one can explain how it works. One theory suggests it makes plasma from unobservable virtual particles and vents that giving thrust in the process.
Virtual particles are so cool. Empty space can suck it.

But we DO need to look at kids these days. They kind of will be running the country soon. People think Trump is bad? Imagine 3 decades from now..where our sitting president throws a hissy fit on tv over halloween costumes. Or when our sitting president retreats from some kind of political debate to run off to a safe space because their poor delicate wittle feelings heard something that makes them uncomfortable.

Or when play-doh and bubbles become staples of the oval office.
Do you read Cracked?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:17 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol I used to read Cracked, but not anymore. It got too click baitey and too much full of bullshit.

So I hope you legitimately don't feel you just proved anything because some dipshit at Cracked goes "no, they totally aren't too PC".

Now why do I get the feeling if I read that article it will be nothing but personal anecdotes and zero evidence?

EDIT: Ha yeah, that's exactly what it was. Move along here, nothing to see.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:37 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean I can sum up that article for anyone: dag nabbit every generation thinks the previous one is crazy.

Boom, you're welcome.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:40 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
To be fair, I think those kind of people are still in the minority

...For now

This is true and there are reports that these kids are slowly, but surely waking up from this nightmare. Slowly realizing stuff like this is BS.

It is a small minority of people who do this, but the problem is that this small minority essentially has the media on their side. They even got Obama to sort of make a fool himself by repeating some of their claims.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:45 AM
Scribble

I read it, it had some fair points but a lot of it came across like a first-grade political studies student writing in their diary after having an "Ah-ha!" moment at 2am, half-drunk and smoking a Pall Mall in his or her bathroom. Usually you get more bitter as you get older, but as someone who supports pretty much all of the stuff this generations wants but disagrees with a lot of the knee-jerk reactionary ways they seem to be going about it, and the way that speech is being more and more limited, I found it to be a very smug and self-righteous piece and that it missed the mark by a pretty wide margin due to that. That's the thing: I understand and agree with most of what it's saying, but it seems to boil down to "Sorry everyone who isn't a liberal 16 - 21 yro American, but you're wrong and there's nothing you can do about it."
This is true and there are reports that these kids are slowly, but surely waking up from this nightmare. Slowly realizing stuff like this is BS.

It is a small minority of people who do this, but the problem is that this small minority essentially has the media on their side. They even got Obama to sort of make a fool himself by repeating some of their claims.
I generally consider myself to be a pretty open-minded, forward-thinking person, as much as I can be (and at least I try, you know?), but I'm getting more and more bored with the way the more vocal people in my generation are dealing with things.

To bring it back to the "as you get older you get more confused at da younguns", I'm twenty ****ing four and I'm already going that way. Surely that's a sign that maybe, perhaps, kinda, maybe almost nearly, this generation actually is a tinsy-winsy-itty-bitty too strictly 'politically correct'?

Who knows. I don't, tbh.

Last edited by Scribble on Sep 14th, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:45 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's certainly true that the previous generation is also going to question the up and coming one. However, some people take that fact and use it to assume that literally any complaint hurled at the current generation is just not valid if it comes from someone from the prior generation.

Then you suddenly become the proverbial old man standing on his porch shaking his fist at those gosh darn kids with their rap music and violent video games.

We actually see this more and more where people attempt to frame an argument in such a way that anyone who disagree's is automatically just apparently confirming what you say. It's a clever way to avoid any real discourse because you can just go "see? see what I said?!".

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:50 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

We essentially need to stand up to these people and start doing what the University of Chicago is doing and saying "no, we aren't going to give you trigger warnings or any of that shit".

I mean come on now, one college banned Harambe jokes lol.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 11:58 AM
Scribble

It's certainly true that the previous generation is also going to question the up and coming one. However, some people take that fact and use it to assume that literally any complaint hurled at the current generation is just not valid if it comes from someone from the prior generation.

Then you suddenly become the proverbial old man standing on his porch shaking his fist at those gosh darn kids with their rap music and violent video games.

We actually see this more and more where people attempt to frame an argument in such a way that anyone who disagree's is automatically just apparently confirming what you say. It's a clever way to avoid any real discourse because you can just go "see? see what I said?!".
One of the things that seems to be taken for granted is that evolution or progress is always a good thing, which obviously in biological terms it is, but in terms of opinions and the way that the world works, I don't think it always is. Just because things are changing, does not mean things will work any better. To use an example, look at rebel groups in northern Africa or the Middle East. Yay! They overthrew the evil dictator. Oh, now they're executing all of the black people for not being True North Africans. Oh, now they're publicly hanging all of the people who oppose them. Change is not inherently good, even when it's dolled up as "progress".

My main issue, and this is more of a reiteration than anything, is that I agree with a lot of what the modern liberals want, and I think it comes from a good place, but if you question them, even just to get a bit more information on the subject? You'll be labelled a racist/homophobe/transphobe/sexist etc., etc., but worst of all, they'll dismiss you as stupid and refuse to talk to you any further. I've had this happen in real life. Apparently, if you're a white straight male who doesn't fully understand the intricacies of people outside of your demographic and want to find out more in an inquisitive way, there is no difference between curiosity and outright hate speech.

Oh well.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 12:01 PM
Scribble

On-topic: Further harnessing of nanotechnology and increased AI capabilities.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2016 12:11 PM
Ascendancy

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-have-...tili-1786543071

A seeming means of alternative reproduction. I'd say with the way research dollars are handed down this will mostly be focused on use for infertility, still allowing both parents to donate genes, but the long-term outcomes could vary pretty widely.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2016 06:41 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

A.I., genetics and biotech.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 03:01 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Before I die, I want to see:

AI
Telomerase reactivation in somatic cells (so we can achieve immortality)

Those are the two things I'm pledging myself to, but as bonus items:

Eugenics in humans (responsibly of course)
Biotechnologies
Improvements in anti-virus treatments

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 04:50 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Human nature does not allow for 'responsible' eugenics. The rich/powerful will always want the best for themselves to separate themselves from the plebs in any given element. So I'd scratch that one off your wish list.

Which is a shame, as we could all be supermen.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 05:03 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

@Robtard I mean, there are some traits that we can universally say are good. More intelligence is a good thing, less serious genetic diseases is a good thing, etc. We don't have to go all Hitler and start selecting for skin or eye color to recognize that we can improve some traits (I'd want gene editing or embryo selection rather than eugenics though).

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 05:33 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Isn't Digging up Old Threads against the rules? I seem to recall the Mod-taterships here saying that.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 06:02 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Robtard
Human nature does not allow for 'responsible' eugenics.
Not until we re-engineer humans to do responsible eugenics. Chicken and egg scenario this one.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 06:58 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Human nature does not allow for 'responsible' eugenics. The rich/powerful will always want the best for themselves to separate themselves from the plebs in any given element. So I'd scratch that one off your wish list.

Which is a shame, as we could all be supermen.

Originally posted by The Ellimist
@Robtard I mean, there are some traits that we can universally say are good. More intelligence is a good thing, less serious genetic diseases is a good thing, etc. We don't have to go all Hitler and start selecting for skin or eye color to recognize that we can improve some traits (I'd want gene editing or embryo selection rather than eugenics though).

Exactly. I couldn't give a rat's ass about physical appearance. I care about progressively strengthening our intelligence, eliminating genetic disorders, etc.

Think about the Kaminoans from Star Wars.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 09:12 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by The Ellimist

For sure and I agree overall, but my concern isn't so much in parents' selecting blonde hair and blue eyes for their unborn children to alter ourselves(who cares bout that?), my concern would be where there's say a breakthrough that gives the human eye a +30% efficiency in the visual spectrum while reducing the chance of eye-related diseases to almost zero, but it's limited to certain people via cost segregation. ie priced to where only the wealthy can afford this and the plebs have to do without.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 09:22 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Not until we re-engineer humans to do responsible eugenics. Chicken and egg scenario this one.

I laughed thumb up

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 09:23 PM