KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Shaak Ti (TFU) vs Asajj Ventress (DD)

Shaak Ti (TFU) vs Asajj Ventress (DD)
Started by: Balta Skywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cs_zoltan

So? Galen still contended.

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 02:36 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cs_zoltan

To a Vader whom was holding back, and thus not going all out. And so Galen at this time isn't a "near Vader combatant".

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 02:45 PM
Click here to Send RHaggis a Private Message Find more posts by RHaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Balta Skywalker
Jedi Temple Guard

Originally posted by cs_zoltan

Still, Ti dominated the fight.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 02:46 PM
Click here to Send Balta Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Balta Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ziggystardust
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shaak has nothing notable in her repitore here. Galen is simply a trash-tier duelist who gets smacked around by single Imperial Garuds. Any scaling with him as the measuring stick is going to envelope negatively as the seal starts to unravel. Likewise, Vader is also nothing but a crippled half-droid and a shadow of his former self, who can just about stretch his talents far enough for a stalemate with Old Ben, a less powerful and less skilful version of his ATOC self (Fightsaber) , that Assaj had already beaten. Other than that, Ti wins the crown for loosing the most amount of times to Grevious, and in stomps might I add, while Ventress actually stood a chance, and there's little evidence that she got any better from there, nor is there any evidence that she woz-amped on Felucia anymore than Galen Marek would be amped from an unprecedented galactic unbalancing of the Force towards the Darkness.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 02:46 PM
Click here to Send Ziggystardust a Private Message Find more posts by Ziggystardust Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

See you still haven't addressed my debunking of your shit tier arguments in the other thread Ziggy. That's ok. You can run and hide spouting your bullshit elsewhere but and I both know in our hearts that...

Your concession was accepted. smile

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 03:50 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ziggystardust
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
See you still haven't addressed my debunking of your shit tier arguments in the other thread Ziggy. That's ok. You can run and hide spouting your bullshit elsewhere but and I both know in our hearts that...

Your concession was accepted. smile

1) Calm down

2) I asked for a better formatted version of your argument in the battlebar, and I addressed the point regarding Galen having "almost perfected lightsaber combat" in quite some depth, your response was absent - you can find that rebuttal here

3) I am perfectly happy to go over it again for the sake of debate, but not if you're going to get overly emotional and start hurling abusive daggers in my direction.

I'll lay out the points as follows :

1) Shaak ti isn't special among the Clone Era days of yore, Ventress is

2) Shaak ti stalemating / edging Galen is her only feat worth mentioning in the same breath

3) Galen gets slapped by random imperial guards

4) Galen having "almost perfected lightsaber combat" is an accolade rooted in arbitrary meaning, why is it any different to Adi Gaila mastering lightsaber combat other than the word "almost" being absent?

5) There is no proof that any of Galen's other opponents are worth two shits in combat, Ventress would sweep them in a gauntletto

6) Galen's crowning achievement is besting Vader, the latter of which is a shadow of his former self and a robotic cripple who can not penetrate the guard of the rusty and out-of-practice Obi Wan Kenobi, nor is he overwhelming a neophyte Luke with TK in ESB.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 04:14 PM
Click here to Send Ziggystardust a Private Message Find more posts by Ziggystardust Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by Beniboybling
(please log in to view the image)
thumb up laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 04:41 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by Ziggystardust
1) Calm down

2) I asked for a better formatted version of your argument in the battlebar, and I addressed the point regarding Galen having "almost perfected lightsaber combat" in quite some depth, your response was absent - you can find that rebuttal here

3) I am perfectly happy to go over it again for the sake of debate, but not if you're going to get overly emotional and start hurling abusive daggers in my direction.

I'll lay out the points as follows :

1) Shaak ti isn't special among the Clone Era days of yore, Ventress is

2) Shaak ti stalemating / edging Galen is her only feat worth mentioning in the same breath

3) Galen gets slapped by random imperial guards

4) Galen having "almost perfected lightsaber combat" is an accolade rooted in arbitrary meaning, why is it any different to Adi Gaila mastering lightsaber combat other than the word "almost" being absent?

5) There is no proof that any of Galen's other opponents are worth two shits in combat, Ventress would sweep them in a gauntletto

6) Galen's crowning achievement is besting Vader, the latter of which is a shadow of his former self and a robotic cripple who can not penetrate the guard of the rusty and out-of-practice Obi Wan Kenobi, nor is he overwhelming a neophyte Luke with TK in ESB.

1. Um, what?

2. You're not getting a better formatted version if you're referring to me actually quoting your argument. I don't do quotes for anyone.

3. Saying "concession accepted" is hurling abusive daggers? Jesus. How do your survive on this forum?

1. Shaak Ti as of RotS is noted to be one of the more skilled and powerful masters of the Order. She's certainly comparable to Ventress if not her equal.

2. Shaak Ti's notable feat is her accolades of skill and ability to fend of dozens of magnaguards combined with a power that is firmly above both Rahm and Paratus.

3. There's nothing suggesting the Imperial guards were capable of anything but contending for a short period in the comic and it's confirmed that that's as long as they can go up against Galen before being taken out. Regardless the Imperial Guard's ability is not based on their station but their performance and demonstrated feats.

4. Because mastery and perfection are two different levels of ability as I already noted when I posted the example of Mace and Obi Wan's conversation. You would also know that Kas'im had perfected lightsaber combat yet his ability as a lightsaber combatant was limited to his technical ability and ability as a Force user which was why he was on the losing end against Bane with a single blade despite being more skilled.

5. Blanket statement that only applies to a few of the opponents Galen faces.

6. Which clearly refers to potential given there are multiple quotes stating he has become more powerful then he was as Anakin Skywalker and who has logically grew more experienced and skilled due to having nearly two decades of leading the Jedi Purge along with all of Anakin's knowledge and experience.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 04:55 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Originally posted by Balta Skywalker
Still, Ti dominated the fight.

Really? You want to tell that to me?

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 05:40 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Welp, lets look over some stuff for Ti, shall we? In the novel, she's painted as a clear superior to Felucia!Galen in just about everything.

She was too fast for him and too strong for him, driving him back with both speed and strength:

"The apprentice simultaneously backflipped and blocked her opening blow. The force of it surprised him, and the recoil threw him backward. His hood caught on one of the sarlacc's teeth, and he tore it impatiently away before the snag could interfere with his defense. Shaak Ti's lightsaber was a jagged blue blur between them. He blocked her as best he could until he had his balance again.

Then he jumped. Over her he spun and fell down two layers of teeth toward the mouth of the sarlacc. From there he jumped up again, angling away from her to avoid giving the Jedi the advantage of height, but she was there ahead of him, driving him back down with a series of blows so rapid he barely caught them all.
"

-- TFU novelisation

In truth, Galen's victory came about through a desperate Force Push, and using the Sarlaac to his advantage(ironically) and Galen considered himself lucky to defeat her:

"In desperation, he summoned a bolt of Sith lightning and sent it down, into the flesh of the sarlacc. The beast roared and shook, giving him the opening he needed. Shaak Ti's right foot slipped, forcing her to flip elegantly out of reach of his blade. He leapt after her, swinging as he came."

-- TFU novelisation

"He backed away, shocked by how close he had come to death and how lucky he had been to defeat her."

-- TFU novelisation

Now some may point to Ti throwing herself onto Galen's blade, something that was a desperate action. But, this was only from Galen's perspective.

Had he not Force Pushed her blade to the side, she would've skewered him before his blade could pierce her. However, as it is, she didn't manage to connect, her blade got pushed away and her continued leap had Galen's blade pierce her.

In any case, the novel makes it clear that Shaak is the superior duelist of the two, and superior physically. The novel also implies Ti's superiority power-wise, because Galen failed to re-awaken the Dark Side that Shaak Ti held at bay on Felucia:

"She had taken a world enjoying the normal flows between the light and the dark sides of the Force and twisted it out of balance. There was still darkness on Felucia, but it was stifled, frustrated, weakened. He strained to awaken it, to remind it of its proper place in the universe. The light side had held sway for far too long."

-- TFU novelisation

And, as per the TFU Campaign Guide, strong Force Agents can influence the balance of Felucia. Yet if Galen truly was more powerful than Ti at the time of his mission to Felucia, why didn't he break her hold on the planet? And before anyone mentions Maris: she didn't hold the planet in sway, Ti's death did, Brood simply turned the Shamans to the Dark Side.

Additionally, Shaak was painted as the superior telepath, breaking Marek's mental hold over the Sarlaac:

"He smiled, letting anger fuel his hatred for her and for all that the Jedi represented. With the dark side behind him, he reached out for the mind of the sarlacc and goaded it to lash out at her.

All the creature did was roar. It resisted him, he realized, with her help.
"

-- TFU novelisation

And Shaak is the better telekinetic, I would argue. Now granted, Galen's repulse did severely injure her, but there's something I find worth mentioning. Notice how Ti is unprepared for the attack, and she cannot even finish her sentence before the repulse is thrown out. Yet still, she remains unmoved by the attack; indicating whatever passive barrier she had managed to at least weaken the repulse and stop it from hurling her away to oblivion:

To not mention how Galen unleashed an extremely powerful burst of energy and was clearly enraged at the time. Now compare that to this:

^ Shaak's casual Force Push manages to hurl back Galen a considerable distance, injure him and leave him floored long enough for her to gather her kinetite energies. What makes it all the better is Ti wasn't enraged, and Galen was actually combat-ready.

It is pretty clear every source, besides the game which has Marek as the GOAT, has Ti in some way beating Galen and him only managing to strike back through desperate means or cheapshots.

Galen at this point was beyond an army buster, contended with Vader in spars, perfected his skill, as a teen was better than most Jedi during the Clone Wars, bested Rahm Kota(a master of Juyo, which only some of the greatest Jedi with high level mastery of multiple forms can practice) and bested Kazdan who had the aid of twelve droids that fought like rough, nerfed versions of the Jedi Council.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 06:29 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Yet she still lost, I wonder why...

Last edited by Beniboybling on Oct 8th, 2016 at 06:48 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 06:39 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Novel has it a desperation tactic, and comic has it a cheapshot. Deal with it, Beni. thumb up

Hey, prime Vader is still better than prime Galen who is still considerably better than Shaak, who in turn is better than Felucia!Galen who in turn is considerably better than Rahm Kota.

If anything, bumping up Ti would help the Vader/Marek brigade. smile

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 06:45 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Well since Ziggy isn't responding I figure I might as well address some of the misconceptions Wolf presented here. smile

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 06:57 PM
Balta Skywalker
Jedi Temple Guard

OH MY GOD THIS GOT JUICY.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Balta Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Balta Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Well since Ziggy isn't responding I figure I might as well address some of the misconceptions Wolf presented here. smile

Remember the deal.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:07 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

That's enough out of you Myth, time for an actual analysis, that doesn't cherry pick the parts where Ti was doing well:
quote:
She smiled in mockery. "Are you prepared to meet your fate?"

Then her lightsaber was lit and she was spinning through the air toward him, striking downward as she fell.

The apprentice simultaneously backflipped and blocked her opening blow. The force of it surprised him, and the recoil threw him backward. His hood caught on one of the sarlacc's teeth, and he tore it impatiently away before the snag could interfere with his defense. Shaak Ti's lightsaber was a jagged blue blur between them. He blocked her as best he could until he had his balance again.
Marek is caught off-guard and off-balanced by her initial attack. Which is a point for Ti, but its also textbook Ataru to come out gun's blazing in this manner in an attempt to overwhelm your opponent. As your recall Ahsoka opens in a similar way against Darth Vader, and it gives her an initial edge, yet only Quan believes she's better than him.

More to the point, he was off-balanced, and its also likely the unfamiliar and uneven terrain contributed to his disadvantage.
quote:
Then he jumped. Over her he spun and fell down two layers of teeth toward the mouth of the sarlacc. From there he jumped up again, angling away from her to avoid giving the Jedi the advantage of height, but she was there ahead of him, driving him back down with a series of blows so rapid he barely caught them all.
Marek tactically retreats to regain his composure but Ti intercedes, using higher ground he sought to avoid her exploiting to drive him back. And again, Ti is going all-out here.
quote:
In desperation, he summoned a bolt of Sith lightning and sent it down, into the flesh of the sarlacc. The beast roared and shook, giving him the opening he needed. Shaak Ti's right foot slipped, forcing her to flip elegantly out of reach of his blade. He leapt after her, swinging as he came.

The fight progressed around the sarlacc's center rings, blow and counterblow accompanied by the roaring of the beast. The apprentice cut off teeth and threw the fragments at his adversary's head. In return she took tighter control of the beast's distributed intelligence and sent its food-seeking tentacles flailing for him. He repulsed them and fought on.

Down they drove each other, closer and closer to the very lip of the creature's enormous mouth. The air was foul down there, heavy with digestive by-products and the stink of rotting meat. Ghastly exhalations rolled over them as the sarlacc roared on. The apprentice was running out of teeth to sever, so he resorted more and more frequently to Sith lightning and random slashes of his lightsaber to keep it twitching underfoot. Thick ichor leaking out of the wounds made the footing even more treacherous.
By harming the sarlaac Marek is able to regain composure and push Ti, causing Ti, presumably, to lose the height advantage as they fight on even terrain. From this point onward they appear to be at an impasse, with no indication that Shaak Ti held the upper hand, or that Marek was barely fending off her assault.

Ti also uses the sarlaac against him, and the terrain "more treacherous" as the descend deeper. Certainly lending itself to Ti who possesses both experience of the terrain and better spatial awareness.
quote:
"You can't keep this up forever," he taunted Shaak Ti as they dueled.

"Neither can you," she said. "You are wasting your strength too quickly."

"The dark side is inexhaustible."

"Your strength is prodigious," she admitted, "but that is your doing. Light, dark--" She paused to aim a blow at his head that he barely deflected. "They are just directions. Do not be fooled that you stand on anything other than your own two feet."

He slashed at her own feet as they spun by overhead and sent one of her ribbons twirling down into the sarlacc's gaping mouth. "Spare me the philosophy lesson, Jedi," he snarled. "I'm only here for your blood."

"And you may yet have it, or I yours."

On her last three words, she struck three blows that each partially found their mark. The first burned a sizzling line down the apprentice's left shoulder. The second scored diagonally across his chest. The third would have skewered his right eye had he not held her back at the last minute with a desperate telekinetic block that stopped her lightsaber barely a millimeter from his skin. He could feel his eyelashes and eyebrows burning. The right side of his sight was entirely blue.

She gasped and staggered backward. Her lightsaber and her gaze dropped. A full half meter of red blade emerged from her stomach, then the rest came free with a hiss.

He backed away, shocked by how close he had come to death and how lucky he had been to defeat her. He had raised his lightsaber by reflex. She had, in the desperation of her final assault, practically thrown herself on the blade. Perhaps she had meant for the two of them to defeat each other at the same time.
In this final exchange Ti betrays her weakness, attempting to defeat Marek in a final suicidal flurry that demonstrates she was not capable of overwhelming Marek's defences, resorting to an all-out attack that could have at best resulted in their mutual destruction.

And while you can perform as many mental gymnastics as you please to explain away her defeat, the fact is she put herself in a position where all Marek needed to do was raise his blade reflexively to kill her i.e. she left herself completely exposed - she was desperate, period.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:19 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Challenge accepted! I bookmarked this page, so you can expect a counter #soon.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:23 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

That wasn't a challenge, rather a request for you to accept the facts.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:25 PM
Balta Skywalker
Jedi Temple Guard

Originally posted by Beniboybling
That wasn't a challenge, rather a request for you to accept the facts.

You bassically challenged him.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:27 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Calm down Balta, I'll spill Myth's blood all the same.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2016 07:30 PM