KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Your First...

Your First...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Love Your First...

We all remember our first. cool

In this case, all of us have one or two particular comics(or perhaps comic series') that we first read, which was responsible for turning us on to the genre... Comics that started our decent into full-blown nerdom.

For me it was DC One Million and Kingdom Come. I remember randomly buying those TPBs at a local book store, and after reading them I was instantly hooked... I just had to read more. This has ultimately led to me amassing a gargantuan collection of [digital] comics over the years. Those books are basically the building blocks that started it all for me.

So what were yours?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2016 05:32 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Wow, for a grandpa you've got some pretty recent cherry poppin'.

The first book that left a mark on me I'd say is DOS when I was a wee lad. it wasn't at all the first book I'd read, but it's the first that I can really remember having an impact.

Comics went away for me years later as I got older. After all the hype around Watchmen before the movie came out, I figured I'd give it a read. Hated it, as I've said many times around here before (I don't care if you think it's the greatest work of fiction ever produced, really), but that got me going back to the things I grew up with and I ended up catching up on most of what I'd missed.

tldr; DOS

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2016 05:58 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

laughing out loud

Don't get me wrong, I'd read several comics beforehand... But for whatever reason, those particular comics really resonated with me, and made me delve deeper into the genre. Before that, I was a casual reader, at best.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2016 06:06 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

I should mention that Kingdom Come was one of the first books that I read after Watchmen, and it's probably the only thing that made me keep going thumb up

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2016 06:10 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Don Draper
Old Fashioned

For me is was sandman: seasons of mist and daredevil: born again.they were love at first.....read. stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 18th, 2016 06:31 PM
Don Draper is currently offline Click here to Send Don Draper a Private Message Find more posts by Don Draper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

There wasn't just one actually. I had a bunch of lit courses so I didn't have time to read novels. After classes I'd go to Barnes & Noble a couple times a week and would knock out 6-12 issue collections and self contained stories between studying. Was great bc I could knock them out in one sitting.

But. If I had to pick one...

ASM. I realized I enjoyed it as much as the 90's cartoons, and never really looked back. I even went back and read every ASM starting with his first appearance. At some point I stopped, but had read ASM #1-600 or so, plus a bunch of other Spidey titles.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 18th, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2016 11:20 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

I'd probably give this book the most credit for getting me involved.

(please log in to view the image)

I practically learned how to read with these comics. I have tons of older books and so forth, but as a little kid, Spidey Super Stories was where it was at.

By Stoic

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 12:12 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Cable and Deadpool, and the Under The Hood arc in Batman. Cable had always fascinated me in the bios I read, so finding a comic with him in it at the newsagents was like striking gold. The batman comic beside it looked interesting, and sure enough it was, its portrayal of Jason making me a fan of what was once the most hated Robin, pretty much creating my trend of liking characters most people disregard.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 12:13 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

All star Superman. First comic I read.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 10:40 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

I think the obsession first set in when I read Wolverine v2, Steve Skroce's run and on (Blood debt, and then the Hunted, etc). Following that Ultimate X-Men and New X-Men hit the stands and that was pretty much it for 11-12 year old me.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 10:47 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by abhilegend
All star Superman. First comic I read.
thumb up

This series is also one that really peaked my interest in the genre and kept me reading. Of course, that was back when pretty much every DC title was fantastic. sad

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 04:58 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

when i was 5 i got a superman encyclopedia. it had literally EVERYTHING in it. was about the size of a phonebook. loved superheroes forever after. as for the first real comicbook that a really recall turning me full on--probably the miller wolverine min. made me realize comics could be more than guys just punching things. i'd had plenty of books before that, but my love for comics had been disorganized before that. after that, i began going backwards and collecting 100s of back issues to catch up on any number of titles....

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 09:24 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
turning me full on

Heh.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2016 03:09 PM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2016 02:39 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

First issue of Spawn, translated in 1996.

We were going my grandmothers house and we got to pick a comic for the trip and I remember the cover really sticking out to me on the shelf.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2016 05:59 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Lol, my first comics were absurd, 90's edge lord crap. Iirc, the very first comic I ever got was the first issue of The Ultimate Warrior's comic, I think it was just called warrior. With that start, its a miracle I ever stuck with comics.

The first series that ever hooked me was Thor, specifically the Jurgens run. I pretty much got it by pure chance, I walked into the LCS and saw the newly restarted Thor series, with a big ass #1 plastered on the cover. Figured I'd give it a shot, and in short he's been my favorite character ever since.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2016 07:50 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Macho Mantis

Late '80s Batman comics, like Blind Justice.

Yes Mistress

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2016 11:26 PM
Macho Mantis is currently offline Click here to Send Macho Mantis a Private Message Find more posts by Macho Mantis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I want to say one of the first comics I ever bought/read was Steel #1 (1994) when it was first released... I think the only reason I bought that issue is because it was about the only one left on the stands, lol. Even then I new it was godawful.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2016 04:02 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Secret Wars, the original. Still very few things can top it.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Oct 24th, 2016 07:34 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

I got hooked into comics, when these kids got evicted from their apartment, and all thier shit got tossed out. Including thier comic collection.

The comics where inside a few boxes, and left near the dumpster for days. I picked up the boxes full comics, and thats when I started to get fully invested.

They had all kinds of tittles. But Spawn, Lobo, and Ghost Rider where the ones that got my attention the most. Super Natural or Paranormal titles are my top choice. Followed by cosmic adventures. But that was mostly Green Lantern stuff.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2016 09:39 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote