KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Gellert Grindelwald thread

Gellert Grindelwald thread
Started by: DarthDuelist9

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Would albus be considered a better duelist in his youth? If so, prime dumbledore vs grindelwald might be more impressive than old dumbledore vs voldemort.

I doubt he would be considered a better deulist. Any advantages he saw in his youth weren't really lost in his old age. Dumbledore,still maintained a level of speed and agility. This is displayed in Half Blood Prince where he swims to the cave in the books.

I would say IMO the duel will look better since it is in fact a 3 hour battle and th se are two very powerful figures in Dumbledore and Grindlewald and it was called the greatest duel of all time at the time. So I would,say it will and should look better than the Dumbledore vs Voldemort battle, but doesn't change wat we know that Voldemort>Grindlewald.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 05:51 AM
EmperorSidious2 is currently offline Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
Then you will be lost when I bring up book evidence. To each his own.

I believe it will be or at least should be portrayed better, not that Grindlewald is more powerful than Voldemort. This battle was described by many at the time as the greatest wizarding duel ever seen after all. Dumbledore battle with Voldemort didn't last nearly as long as Dumbledore and Grindlewalds.

Irrelevant to the point of Dumbledore vs Voldemort laughing out loud .
Such as ?

So you agree Voldemort is better than Grindelwald. Voldemort also looked better against Albus with the most powerful wand in existence. Voldemort is truly the greatest. Even Albus knew in the end he himself couldn't stop Tom.

laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 03:11 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Voldemort was the one to run away in their duel and IIRC he was also protecting Harry so Dumbledore is better. You can go on the discuss how much influence the Elder Wand had etc

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 06:03 PM
DarthDuelist9 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
Voldemort was the one to run away in their duel and IIRC he was also protecting Harry so Dumbledore is better. You can go on the discuss how much influence the Elder Wand had etc
False, Voldemort was there for Harry. Once Albus showed up he went after him but knew his time was limited due to Albus saying the Aurors were on their way so he went directly after Harry. Voldemort chose to leave when all the other wizards showed up. Albus foolishly watched in horror prior to unable to do anything other than speak to Harry.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 06:34 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Grindelwald would have stayed to fight the jurors. Just saying.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 07:17 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Well Gellert already went down to less. Fantastic beasts and just Albus alone without the elder wand.

laughing out loud

Voldemort is far greater, just sayin'.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 09:05 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

And gotten stomped, considering he lost to a lesser Dumbledore than the one Tom fought, while in possession of the Elder Wand.

I'm really not sure why people try to make a case for Grindelwald being better than Voldemort, Rowling makes it clear as day Voldemort is the greatest Dark Wizard ever. Period. Not Salazar Slytherin, not Gellert Grindelwald. Tom Riddle.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2016 04:02 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

He already stuck around to fight in the first film and got wrecked. dope should have bolted. He pouted, gave a speech, and got served.

#TomRiddleisnumerouno

Old Post Dec 1st, 2016 04:11 AM
DarthDuelist9

lol, the screenplay confirms he was winning against the dozen aurors so your point is moot Quanch.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2016 08:25 PM
DarthDuelist9 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Originally posted by quanchi112
Such as ?

So you agree Voldemort is better than Grindelwald. Voldemort also looked better against Albus with the most powerful wand in existence. Voldemort is truly the greatest. Even Albus knew in the end he himself couldn't stop Tom.

laughing out loud

If we were to get into the debate over Dumbledore vs Voldemort I would use the book version over movie version.

I've always agreed that Voldemort>Grindlewald. You can say all you want that Voldemort looked better, cause your perception is irrelevant. Facts point to a different direction, that Dumbledore is more powerful, and more skillful.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2016 10:24 PM
EmperorSidious2 is currently offline Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

lol, the screenplay confirms he was winning against the dozen aurors so your point is moot Quanch.
He still lost as more were present. Newt beat him at this point. These guys were featless and it will matter on shared opponents not featless characters he didn't best either way. We know he isn't beating Albus and he has the elder wand. Wait and see.

smile

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2016 12:05 AM
quanchi112
Disney

If we were to get into the debate over Dumbledore vs Voldemort I would use the book version over movie version.

I've always agreed that Voldemort>Grindlewald. You can say all you want that Voldemort looked better, cause your perception is irrelevant. Facts point to a different direction, that Dumbledore is more powerful, and more skillful.
I don't give a shit. The movie is able to be seen and calculated in real time without relying on vague and hyperbolic statements.

False, Dumbledore has the best wand ever and he still didn't win. Voldemort also has better feats. Undeniable. Albus himself knew he would never best lord Voldemort.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2016 12:07 AM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

I don't give a shit. The movie is able to be seen and calculated in real time without relying on vague and hyperbolic statements.

False, Dumbledore has the best wand ever and he still didn't win. Voldemort also has better feats. Undeniable. Albus himself knew he would never best lord Voldemort.

I see a lot of assumptions based off perception instead of actual fact again.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2016 11:36 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I see a lot of assumptions based off perception instead of actual fact again.
Using common sense and logic which you seem unable to grasp but here let me try something else, book boy.

In the Half-Blood Prince, Dumbledore himself states that Voldemort knows perhaps more magic than any other wizard alive. Is this correct, book nerd ?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2016 03:41 PM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Using common sense and logic which you seem unable to grasp but here let me try something else, book boy.

In the Half-Blood Prince, Dumbledore himself states that Voldemort knows perhaps more magic than any other wizard alive. Is this correct, book nerd ?

I don't recall that quote, if you could provide the page number so I can refresh myself that would be nice. Make sure you put in page number if you post the quote.

However I do remember something's related to where it's said Voldemort stretched the limits of magic farther than any wizard. That maybe what your referring too.

Last edited by EmperorSidious2 on Dec 4th, 2016 at 08:30 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 08:16 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I don't recall that quote, if you could provide the page number so I can refresh myself that would be nice. Make sure you put in page number if you post the quote.

However I do remember something's related to where it's said Voldemort stretched the limits of magic farther than any wizard. That maybe what your referring too.
I don't care enough to do so since you're the book guy. You lied about how the books portrayed the two wizards. You make me sick. I told you the cinematic version of Voldemort was definitely greater than Dumbledore. It seems even Albus from the books agrees.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 11:15 PM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

I don't care enough to do so since you're the book guy. You lied about how the books portrayed the two wizards. You make me sick. I told you the cinematic version of Voldemort was definitely greater than Dumbledore. It seems even Albus from the books agrees.

So because you can't bother to back you're claims you want to just call me a liar? laughing out loud

"His knowledge remained woefully incomplete, Harry! That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children's tales, of love, loyalty and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth that he has never grasped

So here you have Dumbledore saying Voldemort doesn't understand anything. So which is true Quan, or are you just reading what you want without seeing the context.

"My dear Professor, surely a sensible person like yourself can call him by his name? All this 'You-Know-Who' nonsense - for eleven years I have been trying to persuade people to call him by his proper name: Voldemort." Professor McGonagall flinched, but Dumbledore, who was unsticking two lemon drops, seemed not to notice. "It all gets so confusing if we keep saying 'You-Know-Who.' I have never seen any reason to be frightened of saying Voldemort's name."

"I know you haven't," said Professor McGonagall, sounding half exasperated, half admiring. "But you're different. Everyone knows you're the only one You-Know- oh, all right, Voldemort, was frightened of."

"You flatter me," said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had powers I will never have."

"Only because you're too - well - noble to use them."

Here Dumbledore says Voldemort had power I will never have, not necessarily powers he doesn't understand, meaning he does know how to combat these threats and this is displayed by his fight with the inferi.

"By the end of his first year, he would never again be known as the son of a Muggle-hater, but as nothing more or less than the most brilliant student ever seen at the school."
—Elphias Doge on Dumbledore's school years

We see in his battle with Voldemort in OOTP, in the books Dumbledore displays greater variety of magic than Voldemort, with controlling stone statues, a fire serpent, and water bubble that's Voldemort only escaped by disapparating.

As for the elder wand, Dumbledore defeated Grindlewald, while the latter possessed the elder wand. If Voldemort was more powerful wouldn't he have won? Dumbledore won his, why couldn't Voldemorts if he was more powerful laughing out loud

During his N.E.W.T.S., Dumbledore's inspector who was Bathilda Bagshot who was the most celebrated magical historian of the last century said Dumbledore did things in Charms and Transfiguration that she had never seen before.

So yea, Dumbledore does have more magical knowledge than Voldemort.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 02:37 AM
quanchi112
Disney

so you want to ignore the movie quote and discuss the love aspect only. Voldemort is more powerful and the technically superior of the two. Albus said so in the book you claimed to read. Again you're all over the place Albus had the elder wand Voldemort didn't. Albus if he was the greatest would beat someone who isn't if he also has the best wand in the land. He didn't but he beat Griendelwald who is inferior to Voldey mooting the point.

Anything else ?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 03:34 AM
DarthDuelist9

Can you even act normal Quanch? Or is even that beyond your limited thinking capabilities.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 03:59 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Can you even act normal Quanch? Or is even that beyond your limited thinking capabilities.
You ask a superior being to dumb himself down to your levels. Don't be daft. My points are evidence based and my reasoning irrefutable.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2016 04:06 AM