KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Ask an Army Vet.

Ask an Army Vet.
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Are you allowed to bring game consoles with you?

I was thinking about getting my cousin a Playstation Vita next time I see him. (He's in the Coast Guard.)

In basic training no way, but once you're at your assigned duty station then yes.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 02:39 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sunset Phoenix
Daybreaker

How much are animals used in combat? Dogs or birds.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 04:32 PM
Sunset Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Sunset Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Sunset Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh shit it'd be awesome if they had like trained American Eagles that could carry messages back and forth.

I do know there are mine detecting dogs and shit.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2016 05:25 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by RanebowSmack
How much are animals used in combat? Dogs or birds.

Dogs are very much used. German shepherds are amazing animals.

The Navy is training dolphins for sonar recon, too.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 05:27 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
Dogs are very much used. German shepherds are amazing animals.

The Navy is training dolphins for sonar recon, too.

Are american eagles used at all? Or hell falcons?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 06:23 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by Surtur
Are American eagles used at all? Or hell falcons?

LOL. No.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2016 06:55 PM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Do you miss the paperwork?

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 12:08 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by shiv
Do you miss the paperwork?

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about that today...on my drive to work...with the Federal Bureau of Prisons...which has lots of paperwork involved.

wacko

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 12:18 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Never was a lot of paperwork in the infantry.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 05:50 AM
Jmanghan

How frequently do you get breaks from your job, get to go home and whatnot after you've been assigned?

Furthermore, (this is more a personal question), I know you're into video games, so is there any consoles you brought with you in the service? Handheld or ones that plug into a tv?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 6th, 2016 09:23 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

How frequently do you get breaks from your job, get to go home and whatnot after you've been assigned?

Depending on where your home is, you can go there whenever you want to, just as long as you're back at your company for first formation in the morning, which usually PT. You accrue X amount of leave days per month that can be used. When I was in, the max amount of leave was 2 weeks per year, paid in full.

Furthermore, (this is more a personal question), I know you're into video games, so is there any consoles you brought with you in the service? Handheld or ones that plug into a tv?

If you mean Basic Training, then no, not at all.

When you get to your duty station, wherever it may be, you have the option to live off post in an apartment that you pay for out of your own pocket, or you can live in the barracks free of charge in a room with one roommate. You can have a tv, consoles, stereos, etc, in there.

I had the PS1, PS2, and the GameCube when I was in.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2016 03:46 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Impediment
Depending on where your home is, you can go there whenever you want to, just as long as you're back at your company for first formation in the morning, which usually PT. You accrue X amount of leave days per month that can be used. When I was in, the max amount of leave was 2 weeks per year, paid in full.

If you mean Basic Training, then no, not at all.

When you get to your duty station, wherever it may be, you have the option to live off post in an apartment that you pay for out of your own pocket, or you can live in the barracks free of charge in a room with one roommate. You can have a tv, consoles, stereos, etc, in there.

I had the PS1, PS2, and the GameCube when I was in.

Nah, and I didn't think you meant Basic Training.

Speaking of Basic Training, is it as soul-crushingly brutal as everyone says it is?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 04:46 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

It all depends on your personal resolve. It was the "best experience of my life that I NEVER want to do again".

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 10:52 AM
Jmanghan

Is there like... special events? Like on-base, is there a movie night or something?

I know this is a weird question, and that its a job, above all else, but I'm curious.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 09:57 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Did you name your rifle?

What's the best perk that comes with serving? Raping the indigenous or a license to murder?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 11:02 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Is there like... special events? Like on-base, is there a movie night or something?

I know this is a weird question, and that its a job, above all else, but I'm curious.

There's lots of things on base. You can come and go as you please. It's just like any other job, except you're stationed on that base. You can either live on or off base as you please. Bars, theaters, clubs, etc, have lots of events.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Did you name your rifle?

What's the best perk that comes with serving? Raping the indigenous or a license to murder?

Nah, I never named anything.

Neither of those. Perks are in the eye of the beholder.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 01:18 PM