KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Revan (DarthAnt66) vs Darth Traya and the Jedi Exile (ShootingNova)

Revan (DarthAnt66) vs Darth Traya and the Jedi Exile (ShootingNova)
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthbane77

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AncientPower
That makes no sense at all, they are clarifying that this is nothing more than a personal opinion and bares none of the authority they had when actually writing their works.

Chris Avellone literally only ever talks about what they had planned going forward from Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. His versions of the 'True Sith' were never canon, neither is anything else he envisioned. His version of Darth Revan and the actual Darth Revan, are two entirely different beasts.
Well obviously when there's a contradiction like that they can't be considered, otherwise they're fair game.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:45 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Glad to see you're learning.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:47 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Originally posted by AncientPower
Glad to see you're learning.
Slowly but surely.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:49 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nfactor1995
The N-Factor

So I guess the way to go on this site is to evaluate characters purely based off of feats, while completely ignoring authorial intent, accolades, logic, scaling, quotes, etc, especially if it's your favorite character who happens to have the superior feats but fewer accolades. Because obviously author opinions don't matter, in-universe quotes are automatically unreliable and irrelevant, and out of universe quotes obviously aren't canon either for reasons. So feats only it is 👍

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 05:59 AM
Click here to Send nfactor1995 a Private Message Find more posts by nfactor1995 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Who said only feats matter ?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 06:02 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Originally posted by nfactor1995
So I guess the way to go on this site is to evaluate characters purely based off of feats, while completely ignoring authorial intent, accolades, logic, scaling, quotes, etc, especially if it's your favorite character who happens to have the superior feats but fewer accolades. Because obviously author opinions don't matter, in-universe quotes are automatically unreliable and irrelevant, and out of universe quotes obviously aren't canon either for reasons. So feats only it is 👍

Nope, accolades and scaling are obviously canon.
We may can use holisticall intent and Author quotes as evidence.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 06:06 AM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

It's funny people often discuss author quotes and opinions as though authors are taking into account the debates of a bunch of nerds on versus forums.

They aren't. They just write books.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:04 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

BTT: SunRazer has been debunked. He loses by default.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:27 AM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by darthbane77
Authors dismissing their opinions as simply opinions is, well, their opinion. It doesn't mean they can't be used in debates.
laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:28 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by Trocity
It's funny people often discuss author quotes and opinions as though authors are taking into account the debates of a bunch of nerds on versus forums.

They aren't. They just write books.

Drew does. He doesn't want us nerds to be taking his word as gospel, so he refuses to give clear verdicts half the time. lol

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:31 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Ngl, that's cool from Drew imo.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:33 AM
nfactor1995
The N-Factor

Originally posted by Ursumeles
Nope, accolades and scaling are obviously canon.
We may can use holisticall intent and Author quotes as evidence.

That's what I've done on quite a few matchups, and I always get that guy (or guys) who pull the whole "none of that (scaling, quotes, accolades etc) matters because the feats don't line up" argument.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:39 AM
Click here to Send nfactor1995 a Private Message Find more posts by nfactor1995 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

It's also funny that as soon as someone says "author quotes are an opinion, not fact", others pretend that the person just said that author quotes are meaningless. You know, meaninglessness and gospel are the two extremes of the spectrum. There are things in the middle.

Although when an author says "this is just my opinion", you really can't consider it as a fact, lol. And especially not if you tout policies such as "it has to proven by feats also" etc. So no double standards from me, but definitely from Mr. "feats have to prove it's correct" and then proceeds to cite author quotes as fact when it contradicts showings.

A "feats only" approach is stupid, anyway. If everything has to be confirmed by feats, then there isn't even a point in having accolades or quotes.

Last edited by SunRazer on Dec 5th, 2016 at 07:47 AM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 07:44 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nfactor1995
The N-Factor

Originally posted by SunRazer
It's also funny that as soon as someone says "author quotes are an opinion, not fact", others pretend that the person just said that author quotes are meaningless. You know, meaninglessness and gospel are the two extremes of the spectrum. There are things in the middle.

Although when an author says "this is just my opinion", you really can't consider it as a fact, lol. And especially not if you tout policies such as "it has to proven by feats also" etc. So no double standards from me, but definitely from Mr. "feats have to prove it's correct" and then proceeds to cite author quotes as fact when it contradicts showings.

A "feats only" approach is stupid, anyway. If everything has to be confirmed by feats, then there isn't even a point in having accolades or quotes.

The one thing that's getting me in all of this is the idea that authors aren't the top authority on their OWN works. Like, if I wrote a book, then someone asked me about a matchup between characters A and B (which I created and wrote about in the book), why would I not be the #1 authority on who is superior? I can understand the argument that I can't define crossover matchups from other media, but within the context of my own creations, I don't see who else could have more authority than myself (the author).

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:10 AM
darthbane77

Originally posted by Beniboybling
laughing out loud
I fail to see what's funny aside from the fact that you're still here.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:11 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by nfactor1995
The one thing that's getting me in all of this is the idea that authors aren't the top authority on their OWN works. Like, if I wrote a book, then someone asked me about a matchup between characters A and B (which I created and wrote about in the book), why would I not be the #1 authority on who is superior? I can understand the argument that I can't define crossover matchups from other media, but within the context of my own creations, I don't see who else could have more authority than myself (the author).

Well, firstly, Avellone didn't create Revan, and Drew Karpyshyn had contradictory thoughts on Exile vs Revan to Avellone. Avellone thought that Revan could kick the Exile's ass in a duel, yet Drew cited the Exile as likely being better at dueling. Do you see where it gets muddy? And why Drew doesn't want author quotes to be taken as evidence on these forums?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:21 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by darthbane77
I fail to see what's funny aside from the fact that you're still here.

You're dismissing that on the grounds of author quotes being invalid, which requires you to dismiss all author quotes.

Or else you accept it as valid, in which case you shouldn't be taking author judgments on fights as evidence.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:23 AM
darthbane77

Originally posted by SunRazer
You're dismissing that on the grounds of author quotes being invalid, which requires you to dismiss all author quotes.

Or else you accept it as valid, in which case you shouldn't be taking author judgments on fights as evidence.
I think I got confused at some point. I've been using author quotes, so how can I think they're invalid?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:25 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

It was an author quote being brought up, meaning that you'd either have to accept it (and thus invalidate the author judgments on fight scenarios) or dismiss it and thus dismiss all author quotes.

You're effectively trapped. There's no way around it. Your dismissal was basically a double standard between whether you wanted to use author quotes or not, which is what Beni was laughing at.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:39 AM
darthbane77

An author saying they don't think their word matters is their opinion, that doesn't invalidate quotes concerning the universe as Canon.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 08:47 AM